Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 109 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2022, 10:41 AM - 3 Likes   #46

Love what you have

I have the K3iii and love it. I'm not so sure you HAVE to buy all fixed aperture zooms although if you can afford it and feel like it go for it.
I have a used Tamron 70-200 with a constant f2.8. Optically it is way better than the 55-300 (I have both the red band WR one you have (a fine lens) and the 55-300 PLM. Whilst the Tamron is better in most respects it does not focus anywhere near as fast as the PLM and it weighs a damned ton. I will not carry it up a mountain or on a long hike. I don't think i'd take it on holiday either.
I have the 16-85 WR which I also find to be a fine lens (outdoors or in a well lit indoor setting), it is always in the bag if I go out as is the PLM and the 40mm XS.

Constant aperture lenses zoom lenses will (generally) be more much expensive, far heavier, optically better with a pleasing bokeh.

I would go mad spending unless you can really afford it (and feel you're missing out).

I DO have numerous primes including the 40mm XS which opens to f2.8, the HD 70mm limited f2.4 (I may add more limited primes).
I ALSO have several old M and A manual focus lenses which I picked up off eBay for very little money. the SMC A 50mm f1.7 was really cheap and in great condition, it also has a very pleasing bokeh (most primes are "better" (to whom) than zooms as regards rendering and bokeh). The SMC M 28mm f3.5 is also a lovely wee lens much better construction than the plastic A but you lose some function. HOWEVER, the catch in focus on the K3iii is a joy to behold - way easier to use than my old K-50, and the colours are just fabulous. Good luck

06-07-2022, 11:11 AM - 2 Likes   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loyalt Quote
Probably a dumb question, but what does LBA stand for?

(the frequent use of acronyms, while easier to type, assumes much knowledge for the uninformed. )
GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) is also common.
06-07-2022, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
The HD DA 55-300 mm f/4-5.8 ED WR remains sharp even at 300 mm FL, excellent for a "consumer grade" telezoom. Picture taken @ 1/800 sec and f/11 with a K3 III. You can clearly see the raindrops on the leaves from 60 feet away ...
I agree, Richard- I found the HD version to provide results visibly superior to the previous DA model, which I gave away to friends with my K-r. And the WR is a welcome addition. I never owned the DA-L version. I actually like the longer focus throw as this is better for fine-tuning when using MF, which operates smoothly. Not internal focus, and does not have focus breathing, resulting in a larger image of a subject at some distances. Even its AF is noticeably faster when used on my KP. It does very well for me, as I rarely need the faster AF of the PLM model, so for me it's a keeper.
06-07-2022, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The thing I like about this thread (and in fact, all my others) is that because I put my equipment in my signature (as others do) the responders KNOW what I have and comment on it. That is so cool.

06-07-2022, 01:37 PM - 2 Likes   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
Hijack away! I'll also hijack my own thread - is my original (WR but not PLE) 55-300 fundamentally inferior to the 55-300 PLM? (And yes, I know that "inferior" is in the eye of the beholder and I am the best judge of what I like.)
There is much emphasis on the PLM version having a much faster autofocus than the screwdrive versions. There is another thing you may want to consider is not just the speed of the autofocus but the noise level of the autofocus. I have both the HD 55-300 screwdrive version and the PLM version and since I got the PLM, I have been using only the PLM version on my K-3. Since I use it for photographing birds and wildlife autofocus is important that it not only be faster but quieter too. See the In Depth review of the PLM version on this forum. There is an you tube autofocus comparison between the HD version and the PLM version. This could help you decide which one you want to live with. Optically I find the PLM to be slightly sharper, but not significant enough that sharpness alone is a reason to upgrade.
06-07-2022, 01:45 PM - 2 Likes   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have more than enough lenses, and thought I was done. Recently, however, since I also love my latest camera, the K-1 II which I got mainly because of some old but excellent FF lenses bought new for my film bodies, I could not resist going for the magnificent DFA HD 21mm f/2.4 Limited! I have other $1,000+ lenses, but this one tops them all for being expensive. But worth it! I do love doing WA and ultra WA shooting. I have my fine-performing Tokina 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 ultra WA zoom lens, which I love and will still be using, but there is the same old story between zooms and primes. Zooms bring versatility of framing and convenience, while primes can bring a faster aperture and even better performance. Having a stop faster aperture than my Tokina zoom lens for low light shooting, with superb imaging and compact design for a large f/2.4 aperture, superb build and handling with WR, and with a B&H special of $100 off, I could not resist! Even a faster aperture than the large, heavy DFA 15-30mm f/2.8. And wow does it balance beautifully on my K-1 II! Imaging has been absolutely terrific, and great on the K-1 II for low light. I can get enough shutter speed for shooting passing freighters after sunset, while still keeping a bridge and surrounding scene sharp! I can hardly believe between my very compact Tokina ultra WA zoom lens and now this excellent Pentax DFA HD 21mm Ltd, I have such marvelous WA capability and yet so compact for easy carrying! This makes my K-1 II seem not very large at all!

Of course, when I am out bike riding, my favorite kit is comprised of my KP with DA HD 20-40mm Ltd, with DA HD 15mm Ltd in front accessory pocket of my holster case, and FA 77mm Ltd in my jacket pocket. With the DA HD 15mm Ltd, it is also hard to believe I have such ultra WA capability with such ULTRA compactness! This kit as a whole is a wonder of compact carrying but with exceptionally fine quality. It is a personification of what the KP is all about.

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-07-2022 at 02:54 PM.
06-07-2022, 02:30 PM - 2 Likes   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) is also common.
Does this add up like:

GAS = LBA + CBA ?

06-07-2022, 02:46 PM - 2 Likes   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
Does this add up like:

GAS = LBA + CBA ?

That's a subset still. There are tripods, and other accessories. SO maybe GAS = LBA + CBA + ABA?
06-07-2022, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
Does this add up like:

GAS = LBA + CBA ?
Don't forget FBA for flash units.
06-07-2022, 02:52 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
How about just PBA (P=Pentax)

06-07-2022, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know for a fact GAS also works for synthesizers and audio production gear. I'd be amazed if there aren't a half dozen other hobbies that use the term.
Thankfully I have at least cured myself of EHAS (expensive hobby acquisition syndrome).
06-07-2022, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about just PBA (P=Pentax)

Yep- gotta have a Pentax lens collection to go with your Pentax camera collection!

Maybe I do have CBA, LBA, etc. but at least I do acquire my stuff, usually over a lengthy period of time (though sometimes in spurts), and I buy a lens (or camera) for certain purposes I know for which I will use it, due to the advantages it will afford me. Take for example the FA 77mm Ltd (MIJ) which I've had for many years. It has been of considerable value for me n many ways. Yet, more recently I decided to also get the HD DA 70mm f/2.4 as well, after much consideration over a period of some years, and reading test reports, etc. The coming of the HD edition was a further attraction for me.

I finally recognized having these two is not at all a redundancy. For one thing, their FL difference is considerable in practical usage. I found this out from using the FA 77mm and then another lens in the 65mm region, which the DA 70mm actually is. I have also long had the Sigma EX 24-60mm f/2.8, which presents an image size very close to that of the DA 70mm Ltd. But it is hardly of the very compact size of the DA 70mm Ltd- quite the opposite! And the optical performance of the DA Limited lens is exemplary. In reality, the DA 70mm and FA 77mm Ltds are very different lenses in actual use. Since they are so small, I can take them both along with ease. One in my right jacket pocket, the other in my left.

Each has strengths and weaknesses in addition to the FL difference. The FA 77mm has substantially more reach and substantially more aperture range. Great for low light use and for blurring background more- superior to the DA 70mm in these aspects. I have many fine images at dusk from this lens. The DA 70mm is not subject to fringing, has more width to allow more into the frame, and is amazingly good for edge-to-edge performance, especially at wider apertures compared to most other lenses, including the FA 77mm. When I come to a subject I want to be very prominent in the middle of the frame, filling up most of it, then it's the FA 77mm. Much has to do with subject distance and framing. When light is low, and I am doing subject silhouettes, it is definitely the FA 77mm. When I have a good subject but in the context of a landscape or scene with interesting linear parts I want to include more of, it is definitely the DA 70mm.

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-07-2022 at 05:23 PM.
06-07-2022, 05:00 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
I know for a fact GAS also works for synthesizers and audio production gear. I'd be amazed if there aren't a half dozen other hobbies that use the term.
Thankfully I have at least cured myself of EHAS (expensive hobby acquisition syndrome).
Not me, I am planning a 2000 mile round trip to go buy some Rhododendrons that I'll probably kill.
06-07-2022, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am planning a 2000 mile round trip to go buy some Rhododendrons that I'll probably kill.
That is awesome, sounds like a great excuse for a trip. I love rhododendrons, but also have always done poorly with them. The best I would dare to hope for is killing them slowly over several years.
I hadn't considered gardening as another expensive hobby, but it definitely is. For whatever reason, though, I am better at setting and sticking to a yearly budget with that one.
06-07-2022, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not me, I am planning a 2000 mile round trip to go buy some Rhododendrons that I'll probably kill.
What about a 6000 mile round-trip to get some red Poinsettias in California ... lol ???

Regards