Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 109 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2022, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
Yes, I have avoided the 77 in the past since it seemed unnecessary for APS-C crew I have, but let's see if I can get that dark green K-1 II and I'll revisit
I acquired my K-1 II in good part due to some fine FF lenses I bought way back for film use- the FA 77mm Ltd being one of these. But it was not one of the main movers of my decision for the K-1 II. After years of wonderful results from film use, I was quite accustomed to what this lens can do with FF shooting. After getting into digital, I found my FA 77mm Ltd to be even more useful! Still absolutely great for portraits, with APS-C providing greater distance from subjects, now it is terrific for nailing candids at social gatherings! It is so small, on a compact camera it is not likely to attract attention.

Again due to its small size and greater distance on APS-C, it has given me some great butterfly or bee-on-flower shots, as with its small size it does not tend to startle the subjects. And talk about bokeh! That from the DA 70mm (which doesn't give the shooting distance either) is very good, but from the FA 77mm it is wonderful! One tip here is, for this use left-eye VF positioning, which will hide your face and eye from detection by the little critters, which are quite sensitive to faces and eyes looking at them.

06-08-2022, 01:02 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not me, I am planning a 2000 mile round trip to go buy some Rhododendrons that I'll probably kill.
hmm,

Live plants?
I thought they were subject to import regulations and seized & destroyed by customs ....
Something about risks for diseases and infections or insects being imported...
06-08-2022, 01:30 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
hmm,

Live plants?
I thought they were subject to import regulations and seized & destroyed by customs ....
Something about risks for diseases and infections or insects being imported...
It is allowed within the US.
06-08-2022, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #64
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Live plants?I thought they were subject to import regulations and seized & destroyed by customs ....
You can travel a long way in North America without crossing even one international border. :-) Very different from Europe.

06-08-2022, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
You can travel a long way in North America without crossing even one international border. :-) Very different from Europe.
When you enter California by the Interstates (80, 40, 15, 10, 8, 5), you have to report to the State Agricultural Inspection Stations. Once I entered California on I-40 with 4 apples I had bought in Ontario, Canada a week before. They made me eat them all at the Station before I was allowed to continue my trip and they destroyed the seeds and cores I left. This happened 10 years ago and I still laugh when I recall this anecdote but the Agricultural Authorities of California are totally serious about supervising the importation of fruit or vegetables (probably flowers too) into the State.
06-08-2022, 01:52 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
When you enter California by the Interstates (80, 40, 15, 10, 8, 5), you have to report to the State Agricultural Inspection Stations. Once I entered California on I-40 with 4 apples I had bought in Ontario, Canada a week before. They made me eat them all at the Station before I was allowed to continue my trip and they destroyed the seeds and cores I left. This happened 10 years ago and I still laugh when I recall this anecdote but the Agricultural Authorities of California are totally serious about supervising the importation of fruit or vegetables (probably flowers too) into the State.
Going from Wisconsin to New Jersey and back.
06-08-2022, 08:19 PM - 1 Like   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lens Buying Addiction.
Ok, thank you for the education and definition...I can relate. I try to and mostly succeed in justifying that each purchase is for my photography business, but the addiction exists, none-the-less. Always searching for the best and sharpest subject. Now, if we only would get either a 300mm f2.8 or in my dreams, a 400mm f2.8. (I have heard all the reasons why not, but this sports photographer really needs either one for under the lights in stadiums and better close-up shots from a distance. )

06-09-2022, 02:51 AM - 2 Likes   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is allowed within the US.
With the price of gas these days, they'll be some of the most expensive plants you've ever planted...
06-09-2022, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Not so different, in Europe also possible, thanks to the Schengen agreement, creating an area without internal border control across all Schengen member countries. If you apply for a visa into one of the Schengen counties , you get access to all of them, procedure is harmonised. Flights are local inside this area, just like between US states.

Today, the Schengen Area encompasses most EU countries, except for Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland and Romania. However, Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania are currently in the process of joining the Schengen Area and already applying the Schengen acquis to a large extent. Additionally, also the non-EU States Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein have joined the Schengen Area. Note that GB is not part anymore of EU...

Spain to Norway is about 2800 mile/4500 km..., so we can also smuggle plants a large distance, but as I live in the center, it is half the distance for me to cross borders.

Not far from my place the border control office B-NL on secondary main road was closed, sold and transformed into a restaurant/hotel, nicely !? located in the middle of the road (efficient in it’s past function).. so it is really without controls. , the only indication is the traffic sign indicating different speed regulations in the new country. You can have a look here:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/26WTvZ34j8nTPiCa9

PS: Schengen is the place where the treaty was signed, ...if you wondered

Last edited by mlag; 06-09-2022 at 01:16 PM.
06-10-2022, 02:37 AM - 2 Likes   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not so different, in Europe also possible, thanks to the Schengen agreement, creating an area without internal border control across all Schengen member countries. If you apply for a visa into one of the Schengen counties , you get access to all of them, procedure is harmonised. Flights are local inside this area, just like between US states.

Today, the Schengen Area encompasses most EU countries, except for Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland and Romania. However, Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania are currently in the process of joining the Schengen Area and already applying the Schengen acquis to a large extent. Additionally, also the non-EU States Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein have joined the Schengen Area. Note that GB is not part anymore of EU...

Spain to Norway is about 2800 mile/4500 km..., so we can also smuggle plants a large distance, but as I live in the center, it is half the distance for me to cross borders.

Not far from my place the border control office B-NL on secondary main road was closed, sold and transformed into a restaurant/hotel, nicely !? located in the middle of the road (efficient in it’s past function).. so it is really without controls. , the only indication is the traffic sign indicating different speed regulations in the new country. You can have a look here:
Google Maps

PS: Schengen is the place where the treaty was signed, ...if you wondered
It's a little different in that there aren't actually any borders crossed or customs stations. When you drive from one state to another there is a sign indicating that you have driven, say, from Ohio to Indiana, but otherwise you just keep driving (unless you need to go to the bathroom.)

But wouldn't use the term smuggling though as that would imply some nefarious activity...

Last edited by Rondec; 06-10-2022 at 03:53 PM.
06-10-2022, 10:59 AM - 2 Likes   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Was that a trip from Ontario, CA to Ontario, CA?
That's a long drive. I'm pretty sure I would have eaten those apples long before California

I've never had to check in at a station like that when traveling within the US, but I've thrown away a lot of produce in international airports...

I do remember traveling in Europe with my Grandmother before the Schengen Agreement was in force... every single border there was a stop with grumpy customs people on the bus... the bonus to me as a child was lots of stamps in my passport...

-Eric
06-10-2022, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Was that a trip from Ontario, CA to Ontario, CA?That's a long drive. I'm pretty sure I would have eaten those apples long before CaliforniaI've never had to check in at a station like that when traveling within the US, but I've thrown away a lot of produce in international airports...
I live in Eastern Canada and I stopped just east of Toronto, Ontario to buy apples and other items. Four apples remained in my food reserve when I reached California and I had to stop at the Inspection Station on I-40. I found it odd but either I ate the 4 apples here and now or they would have seized and destroyed them. So I ate them and was warned never to bring unaccounted for fruit or vegetables into the State. When you cross the Canada-US Border, you can't bring fresh meat products into the U.S. either. The Border Officers seize them and destroy them too, even if Canadian ground beef is highly superior in taste and quality to U.S. beef.

Regards
06-10-2022, 02:38 PM - 2 Likes   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the fresh meat prohibition came from the mad cow stuff several years back.
You generally aren't allowed to bring anything unless it is really hard-cured, especially from certain countries.
South African biltong is not allowed, for example, because of some cattle diseases endemic to South Africa.

If I remember right, the UK is very particular about cheese, so both a nice Wisconsin Cheddar or some fresh Canadian curds would be tossed at the airport, I'm afraid...

I wonder if the OP has considered a 50mm/100mm macro.
On APS-C, they both provide a lot of room for flowers up close...

-Eric
06-10-2022, 02:52 PM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I wonder if the OP has considered a 50mm/100mm macro.
On APS-C, they both provide a lot of room for flowers up close...

-Eric

I had a 100 Macro and sold it for what is now a stupid reason. I do have a Tamron 90 which is pretty good.
06-10-2022, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #75
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the fresh meat prohibition came from the mad cow stuff several years back.You generally aren't allowed to bring anything unless it is really hard-cured, especially from certain countries.South African biltong is not allowed, for example, because of some cattle diseases endemic to South Africa.If I remember right, the UK is very particular about cheese, so both a nice Wisconsin Cheddar or some fresh Canadian curds would be tossed at the airport, I'm afraid...
You haven't seen quarantine restrictions until you have come to Australia.

With good reason. While Australia has many introduced pests, it is free of many pathogens that are common abroad. That's good both for the environment and food production. But it has been taken to comical lengths at times. I well remember when I returned from my first overseas trip in 1980, two Customs guys (in a strange uniform with dark shorts and long white socks) went through the plane spraying some (probably nasty) aerosol through the cabin before the passengers could disembark. I remember the startled look on the first-time visitors, wondering what sort of country they were coming to. After a couple of months in Europe, I was wondering what sort of country I was coming back to.