Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2008, 04:26 AM   #1
Inactive Account

What fish-eye to choose? Pentax/Sigma?

Hi,
For a while now I''ve been looking to buy a fisheye. And I'm not sure what to go for. I'm in between the Pentax 10-17mm or the Sigma 10-20mm.
I haven't had a chance to try ether one. The only way I can get it, is by online order. I saw many pictures and they both look good. I'm just wondering which one is better.
I know the sigma contains more elements, and has a better zoom.
But people talk very good about the Pentax lens, and it's a bit cheaper.

Any help? Suggestion? Anybody tried both?

I will be using it on a K200D

12-17-2008, 06:22 AM   #2

First i will point that the sigma donīt are a fisheye, its just a extreme wideangle lens.
I have dont tried the pentax fisheye, but many people i have seen like it.

Have you any thoughts about using a prime fisheye like the sigma 15 2.8?

or you can wait a while and see if pentax release a new fisheye.
12-17-2008, 07:40 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 10-20mm
it can became your prime lenses if uou take a lot pfotos of landcape
12-17-2008, 08:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by koper Quote
Sigma 10-20mm
it can became your prime lenses if uou take a lot pfotos of landcape
I wouldn't use the 10-20 as a primary landscape lens. At 10mm, it takes the right kind of composition to work well, otherwise you have a lot of wide space, almost too wide to be usable. It's real easy to get stuff on the sides that you don't want in the frame.

Now, if you are taking close up shots of things and want to still have background, the 10-20 works great.

12-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Diasfu Quote
I'm in between the Pentax 10-17mm or the Sigma 10-20mm.
I have the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye and I don't think you can compare it to the Sigma 10-20 because it is a wide angle lens. A more fair comparison for the Sigma would be the Pentax 12-24mm wide angle which is the next lens on my wish list

Depending on what you like to shoot, you can get very creative shots and angles with both lenses. Personally I really enjoy the fisheye effect and compared to other fisheyes from Nikon or Canon the Pentax one has zoom. At 10mm you get the full fisheye effect and at 17mm it could almost pass as a standard lens with a bit of distortion from the fisheye. Great lens and excellent price either way. Prodigital2000 has it for sale for a pretty good price $419.99cdn :

PENTAX FISH-EYE DA 10-17mm DIGITAL LENS 9 YR WARRANTY! - (eBay.ca item 310109379802 end time 22-Dec-08 19:18:39 EST)

There was another user on here who is selling a used Sigma 10-20mm for $450usd so maybe he will chime in or else send me a PM and I'll give you his username.
12-17-2008, 10:58 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure everybody will expect me to jump in here with a plug for a Zenitar 16mm F2.8. Nice little lens, not quite the IQ of the Pentax 10-17, but at 1/3 the cost. I swear by my "Z". One of the things I like most about it is that even tho it is a fisheye, the distortion is not terribly great, so that with careful compo and framing you hardly know it's a fe.

NaCl(small, light and inexpensive....what's not to like?)H2O
12-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you guys for the replyies so far..

I didn't know that Sigma 10-20mm is not a fisheye. I'll ask maybe a stupid question..that does that mean, if taking the same picture with both of the lenses at 10mm, the picture will be different? Or what does it mean, that one is fisheye, and one wide angle..?

Thank you mwong168 for the help, but I will get it somewhere in Europe. And I'm looking for a new one.

I heard good things about Zenitar, but 16mm is not wide enough for me. And I wouldn't get anything else than Pentax or Sigma, brand wise.

And last thing. I like the zoom option on a lens, so a prime fisheye would not satisfy me.

Thank you, please keep on posting your comments.

Regards
12-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I didn't know that Sigma 10-20mm is not a fisheye. I'll ask maybe a stupid question..that does that mean, if taking the same picture with both of the lenses at 10mm, the picture will be different? Or what does it mean, that one is fisheye, and one wide angle..?

The Sigma is a rectilinear ultra wide angle lens. That roughly means that lines are straights. With the Fish-eye, those lines are bend in a kind of heavy barrel distorsion. Also, even if the fish-eye is 10mm at the wide end, its field of view is much wider (180°!) than a rectilinear 10mm.

What does it means? Both are useful and do not have the same use. I would go with the 10-20 first because it's more useful for general photography, then the 10-17 which is an amazingly fun lens and is the only fisheye zoom available (all other fisheye lenses are primes).

12-17-2008, 12:48 PM   #9

i strongly disagree with my colleges
i have both lenses
Sigma 10-20mm + Pentax 10-17mm fish eye
sigma lenses is very good for landscape photography +hdr PHOTOGRAPHY
this lenses is very popular in israel
Pentax 10-17mm fish eye i mainly use for photographic stitching with realvizth sticher program
you can see examples of photos in my israelian site

???????? ????? ?????? ???????? - ????? ????? - ????? ????? - ????? ?????? - ????? ?????? ?? ???? - ????? ????? - ????? ?????? - ????? ?????? -
koper
http://www.photolight.co.il/author/3264.html
12-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A wide angle rectilinear lens is a lens that maintains the shape of objects while covering a large angle of view (objects that are parallel to the focal plane, anyway). That is, lines that are straight in real life remain straight in the photo, etc. This becomes difficult to do without barrel distortion at angles of view greater than about 90°. (Note that it is possible for the shape of things that are not parallel to the focal plane to appear to be distorted through a wide angle rectilinear lens because of perspective distortion, but that is another issue.)

A fisheye lens is a lens that covers an extremely wide angle (classically, close to 180°) with no attempt made to avoid barrel distortion. Instead, a fisheye lens just controls the shape of the barrel distortion, sometimes making it circular and sometimes elliptical.

You should also realize that 10mm on a fisheye lens will have a greater angle of view than 10mm on a rectilinear lens. For example, the Sigma 10-20mm rectilinear lens has an angle of view of 102.4° at 10mm, while the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye has an angle of view of 180° at 10mm. In fact the Pentax 17mm fisheye has an angle of view of 100° at 17mm which is not far from the maximum angle of view of the Sigma. This does not make the Pentax lens better; it just suits it to a different purpose.

It becomes practically impossible to maintain a rectilinear image past a certain angle of view (and the Sigma lens approaches this point). So, at this point you can only continue to increase your angle of view with a fisheye lens. Basically, the Pentax fisheye picks up about where the Sigma rectilinear lens leaves off, so they complement each other fairly well, and it is reasonable to eventually get both, if that style of photo interests you.
12-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #11
Inactive Account

On page 14 of this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/33549-fisheye-...ye-photos.html
is a pair of photos, one with a wide angle, one with a fisheye. one is black and white and one is color, but you can see the differences in the lenses.
Ryan
12-17-2008, 07:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryno Quote
On page 14 of this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/33549-fisheye-...ye-photos.html
is a pair of photos, one with a wide angle, one with a fisheye. one is black and white and one is color, but you can see the differences in the lenses.
Ryan
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/378426-post198.html

If you click on the post number, it'll give you the link directly to that post.
12-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Thank you mwong168 for the help, but I will get it somewhere in Europe. And I'm looking for a new one.

I heard good things about Zenitar, but 16mm is not wide enough for me. And I wouldn't get anything else than Pentax or Sigma, brand wise.

And last thing. I like the zoom option on a lens, so a prime fisheye would not satisfy me.

Thank you, please keep on posting your comments.

Regards
All your requirements are only filled by the Pentax 10-17, as the Sigma is rectilinear.
12-17-2008, 09:41 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by CFWhitman Quote
A wide angle rectilinear lens is a lens that maintains the shape of objects while covering a large angle of view (objects that are parallel to the focal plane, anyway). That is, lines that are straight in real life remain straight in the photo, etc. This becomes difficult to do without barrel distortion at angles of view greater than about 90°. (Note that it is possible for the shape of things that are not parallel to the focal plane to appear to be distorted through a wide angle rectilinear lens because of perspective distortion, but that is another issue.)

A fisheye lens is a lens that covers an extremely wide angle (classically, close to 180°) with no attempt made to avoid barrel distortion. Instead, a fisheye lens just controls the shape of the barrel distortion, sometimes making it circular and sometimes elliptical.

You should also realize that 10mm on a fisheye lens will have a greater angle of view than 10mm on a rectilinear lens. For example, the Sigma 10-20mm rectilinear lens has an angle of view of 102.4° at 10mm, while the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye has an angle of view of 180° at 10mm. In fact the Pentax 17mm fisheye has an angle of view of 100° at 17mm which is not far from the maximum angle of view of the Sigma. This does not make the Pentax lens better; it just suits it to a different purpose.

It becomes practically impossible to maintain a rectilinear image past a certain angle of view (and the Sigma lens approaches this point). So, at this point you can only continue to increase your angle of view with a fisheye lens. Basically, the Pentax fisheye picks up about where the Sigma rectilinear lens leaves off, so they complement each other fairly well, and it is reasonable to eventually get both, if that style of photo interests you.
i agree with this statement
it just suits it to a different purpose.
12-22-2008, 04:17 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks

Thank you all for the responses..