Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-11-2022, 08:40 PM   #1

Super Takumar 35mm F2 Infinity adjustment

Hi,

I have a Super Takumar 35mm F2 that won't focus to infinity. I'm familiar with Shimming Cine lenses, but I cannot find clear information on how to adjust the focus on this Takumar. Can anybody help?

Thank you

06-11-2022, 11:56 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums

Are you using this lens on a Pentax K-mount camera, or a different camera with M42 adapter? If the latter, are you sure that the M42 adapter's tolerances are correct? Is it allowing other M42-mount lenses to focus to infinity? Is the lens screwing in fully to the adapter? If not, it will sit slightly too far from the sensor, and that will prevent infinity focus. I would check these things before messing around with the lens itself, as there may be nothing wrong with it...
06-12-2022, 02:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As Mike (@BigMackCam) says, if you're using an adapter on a non-Pentax camera that's the most likely cause and a better made adapter is the solution.

If you are using a Pentax camera then we'll need to know which of the two versions of the 35mm/2.0 you've got. The first version is a big heavy lens with a 67mm filter ring, and the second version is much smaller with a 49mm filter ring. Adjusting infinity on the smaller second version is pretty straightforward, but that big first version can be a nightmare to work on.
06-12-2022, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Are you using this lens on a Pentax K-mount camera, or a different camera with M42 adapter? If the latter, are you sure that the M42 adapter's tolerances are correct? Is it allowing other M42-mount lenses to focus to infinity? Is the lens screwing in fully to the adapter? If not, it will sit slightly too far from the sensor, and that will prevent infinity focus.
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
As Mike (@BigMackCam) says, if you're using an adapter on a non-Pentax camera that's the most likely cause and a better made adapter is the solution.
Further to the above... In addition to my Pentax gear, I shoot a Sony A7 MkII. I remember an M42 adapter I bought for it - quite a nicely-made one, not the typical rubbish - with which none of my M42 lenses would focus to infinity. I found that the thread ring was glued in (not sure why, as it was also secured with inset grub screws as is usually the case) and the amount of adhesive was sufficient that the ring was sitting too far forward. It took me an age to remove the glue... not sure what it was, perhaps a superglue of some kind... but once I'd done so, cleaned everything up and set the ring back in the mount, it worked perfectly...