Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
06-17-2022, 10:48 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

As a quick look into the non-Pentax world, BHPhoto lists Novoflex Automatic Bellows and even Automatic Reverse Lens Adapters for the new Nikon Z mount. Nikon doesn't make anything like it but there must be some market for this solution.

novoflex nikon bellows | B&H Photo Video

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1562420-REG/novoflex_nikz_retro_autom...6a81bb94b51a41

06-17-2022, 12:37 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Recently acquired a old bellows with k-mount (as new condition, about 100$, price was in Euro) for some upcoming macro experiments...

Tempted by :

- the long, adjustable extension tube (surpassing the capabilities of my 25mm extension tube)

and

- the focussing rail alllowing to adjust distance to the subject (like for focus stacking).

Not having one of the new era macro AF lenses and using manual (and sometimes newer AF) telelenses with extension tubes, the bellows seemed a logical step....
(till LBA kicks in of course).
06-17-2022, 01:22 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cdw2000 Quote
The main reason is the fact that neither my camera or any of my lenses are M42 mount and that this particular unit was offered cheap and I'm not really that interested in macro photography beyond 1:1 magnification (which some would argue is NOT macro photography, but I'm not going there). I could acquire an M42 lens, but from my research, using an M42 to K-mount adapter to mount the bellows to the camera is problematic since with the bellows bracket, there is no way to get access to the cameras K-mount unlock button to remove it. Though I'm not sure why this is a problem because the bellows mount should still unscrew from the adapter, but I'm not taking any chances, just the same.
I use the same bellows. All you need to make it weary to use is one short m42 extension ring. This goes between the adapter ring and the bellows making it easy to rotate the bellows to remove (otherwise the pentaprism housing blocks rotation of the bellows. That’s not a big deal as the mount can be removed from the bellows but I prefer using it with an extension tube. Typically I’m using bellows only when going to high magnification values.

More Frankenstein-Macro by -vanya_42nd-
06-18-2022, 12:40 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Umm actually they are still available, as the Pentax Duplicator unit.........
pentax duplicator: Search Result | eBay
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/254804305527?hash=item3b53852677:g:CEUAAOSw9wVf0bUs
Rather pricey but handy for copying negatives and slides

Yes not really useful as not between the body and lens , but they are bellows like the slide duplicator attachment of old

06-18-2022, 02:02 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dkpentax Quote
As a quick look into the non-Pentax world, BHPhoto lists Novoflex Automatic Bellows and even Automatic Reverse Lens Adapters for the new Nikon Z mount. Nikon doesn't make anything like it but there must be some market for this solution.
Novoflex : Automatic bellows are available for the following systems:
  • Canon EOS
  • Canon EOS-R
  • Fujifilm X
  • L-Mount (Leica, Panasonic, Sigma)
  • MicroFourThirds (Olympus, Panasonic)
  • Nikon Z
  • Sony E-Mount
So there is a market for bellows even for today's AF cameras, but market appears too small to include the pentax system ...
PS: pentax is supported on their non automatic bellows:

Adapter ring combination Pentax K camera to BAL-F bellows
06-18-2022, 06:05 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
A ribbon cable from front to back would have done it, though it probably wouldn't have been pretty.
Actually someone makes such a rig with a pigtail cord instead of ribbon cable. It's mainly for reversing lens but claims can be used as an extension tube with the ability to add any number of tube extensions. I would imagine you could substitute a bellows for the in-between tubes.

Vello | Camera & Flash Accessories

Now if they would make one for KAF4 people here might be interested.
06-18-2022, 10:05 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Umm actually they are still available, as the Pentax Duplicator unit.........
pentax duplicator: Search Result | eBay
Pentax Film Duplicator for Pentax Digital Camera Brand New from Japan F/S | eBay
Rather pricey but handy for copying negatives and slides

Yes not really useful as not between the body and lens , but they are bellows like the slide duplicator attachment of old
YIKES the price!

06-18-2022, 10:12 AM   #23

As it happens I just purchased a Pentax Auto Bellows II with Slide holder in excellent condition for around $60 off ebay. The only caveat is that it is M42 mount. Just shows that bargains can still be found. I hope this doesn't offend anybody, but I plan to modify it to hold the camera with macro lens mounted directly to the camera (basically removing the bellows completely and rigging a tripod mount to one of the adjustable blocks) . I intend to use the rig to digitize slides and negatives, but it will also be able to serve as a macro focusing rail in this configuration. I just won't be able to do magnifications beyond what the lens is natively capable of (unless I use extension tubes, of course).
There is no Auto Bellows II. There is a Bellows Unit II however, which is similar to the Auto Bellows but without the dual cable stop-down flapper mechanism. The lens and camera standards are smaller but uses the same or similar X-beam rail. Is this the unit you have?

I'm not clear on what you are trying to achieve. With the Unit II there is a tripod mount on the focus rack on the lower half of the X-beam. Why not close up the two standards at minimum extension?

The main reason is the fact that neither my camera or any of my lenses are M42 mount and that this particular unit was offered cheap and I'm not really that interested in macro photography beyond 1:1 magnification (which some would argue is NOT macro photography, but I'm not going there). I could acquire an M42 lens, but from my research, using an M42 to K-mount adapter to mount the bellows to the camera is problematic since with the bellows bracket, there is no way to get access to the cameras K-mount unlock button to remove it. Though I'm not sure why this is a problem because the bellows mount should still unscrew from the adapter, but I'm not taking any chances, just the same.
Ok, but I'm not sure how you intend on attaching a K-mount lens to either of the bellows standards. If you use the back (to camera) you'd have to rig up a front plate with K-mount and you would still have to use an M42 to K-mount adapter. If you use the front standard then you have to fabricate a K-mount to M42 adapter (K-mount lens side - M42 camera side). Such has been done using rear-caps but I myself wouldn't trust an adhesive bond between dis-similar materials.

Attaching Pentax M42 bellows to a K-mount DSLR is not a problem. Put a short extension tube between the camera and bellows. And I would recommend using a so-called flanged adapter rather then the OEM type. One, it locks securely with not play. Two, it doesn't have openings for light leaks.

And yes, the camera adapter is held in place on the bellows with a thumb screw.

If you are using a APS-C body then you have to face the challenge of getting 1× magnification with the slide copier attachment. The rail isn't long enough to move the sensor far enough away.

Maybe somebody will 3D print a longer X-beam. You could toothed tracks from the original beam and fudge the placement for one or other of the extremes. The internal threading for the slide copier attachment screw would be trick though I image an opening for a proper thread hex nut would work.

Seems more work and money spent to be worth it IMHO.
06-18-2022, 04:05 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
There is no Auto Bellows II. There is a Bellows Unit II however, which is similar to the Auto Bellows but without the dual cable stop-down flapper mechanism. The lens and camera standards are smaller but uses the same or similar X-beam rail. Is this the unit you have?

I'm not clear on what you are trying to achieve. With the Unit II there is a tripod mount on the focus rack on the lower half of the X-beam. Why not close up the two standards at minimum extension?

Ok, but I'm not sure how you intend on attaching a K-mount lens to either of the bellows standards. If you use the back (to camera) you'd have to rig up a front plate with K-mount and you would still have to use an M42 to K-mount adapter. If you use the front standard then you have to fabricate a K-mount to M42 adapter (K-mount lens side - M42 camera side). Such has been done using rear-caps but I myself wouldn't trust an adhesive bond between dis-similar materials.

Attaching Pentax M42 bellows to a K-mount DSLR is not a problem. Put a short extension tube between the camera and bellows. And I would recommend using a so-called flanged adapter rather then the OEM type. One, it locks securely with not play. Two, it doesn't have openings for light leaks.

And yes, the camera adapter is held in place on the bellows with a thumb screw.

If you are using a APS-C body then you have to face the challenge of getting 1× magnification with the slide copier attachment. The rail isn't long enough to move the sensor far enough away.

Maybe somebody will 3D print a longer X-beam. You could toothed tracks from the original beam and fudge the placement for one or other of the extremes. The internal threading for the slide copier attachment screw would be trick though I image an opening for a proper thread hex nut would work.

Seems more work and money spent to be worth it IMHO.
The intention is to be able to mount the camera with the lens also mounted directly to the camera and then be able to finely adjust the distance from the camera to the slide holder. Like a modern non-bellows type macro focus rail that happens to also have a slide holder attachment (which as far as I can tell does not exist - I've checked). To achieve this, I am removing the bellows, then removing one of the two bellows adjusting blocks. The remaining block will have the bellows mount cut off, then the top of the block will be machined flat. Then it will be drilled and tapped to mount a quick-release tripod base plate. I'll basically have the equivalent of the Pentax Duplicator that garywakeling posted a link to, Just at 1/20th the cost.

Yes, I have an APS-C camera. With my 50mm 1:1 Macro lens there is plenty of distance and focus range with the lens mounted directly to the camera to achieve the 0.65X magnification needed to transfer a 35mm slide to the APS-C sensor plane without cropping the image. I know this because I've already used this lens successfully to do this. I'm just looking for a more stable/repeatable setup as I have lots of slides and negatives to do.
06-19-2022, 05:42 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

M42 to canon EOS plus Canon EOS to K Mount allows you to mount a k mount lens to an m42 bellows. It is also possible to use various t mount adapters and of course it is possible to use reversing rings.

Adapter Ring to convert Pentax K to M42 (yes that's right) - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com
06-19-2022, 10:52 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Bellows were not really made by, but made for camera manufacturers. Flashes are similar products. Ring flashes and bellows are hard to find these days. Novoflex keeps the tradition of bellows alive - not for Pentax auto, but enlarging lenses work better than standard auto glass.
Don’t complain, support Novoflex and other specialized manufacturers.
06-20-2022, 11:40 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
M42 to canon EOS plus Canon EOS to K Mount allows you to mount a k mount lens to an m42 bellows. It is also possible to use various t mount adapters and of course it is possible to use reversing rings.

Adapter Ring to convert Pentax K to M42 (yes that's right) - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com
That's an inventive solution to the adapter problem!
06-21-2022, 08:24 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Bellows were not really made by, but made for camera manufacturers. Flashes are similar products. Ring flashes and bellows are hard to find these days. Novoflex keeps the tradition of bellows alive - not for Pentax auto, but enlarging lenses work better than standard auto glass.
Don’t complain, support Novoflex and other specialized manufacturers.
The strong similarities between many of the bellows available for camera systems in the 70's and 80's makes me think it was from a common source.
06-22-2022, 04:58 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I think they were just dropped in favour of extension tubes. For a time I believe that dedicated macro lenses were available for less than they were when bellows were around, but the other day I saw that the newest Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens costs €1700 so maybe bellows will make a come-back.
06-22-2022, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unless you have a need for absolute framing or image ratio control, the combination of extension tubes and judicious cropping covers 99.9% of the close-up/copy/macro situations with a lot less complexity.

Throw in a few ounces of +diopter filters and a lens reversing adapter and you have a very efficient (and robust!) field kit too.