Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Super-Takumar 1:4/200

I just came into posession of this 200mm M42/screw mount. Has anyone used this lens before? I can't find info for sure on bdimitrov's site or Steve's. This one has one of those "auto-manual" swithches. Nice, solid metal and glass! Can't wait to try it out. Oh yeah, how about with a 2x converter? Thanks for now.

I also got a "MC Hanimex AUTOMATIC ZOOM C-MACRO 1:4.5 80-200" for my nephew who is beginning to get all excited about photography. Know anything about the Hanimex lenses? I'm breaking him in good with an old K1000 body.

03-15-2007, 03:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just got that very lens off of Yahoo Japan Auctions for about $25 three days ago and have been "testing" it out extensively at work over the last two days.

I'm very pleased with it so far. It isn't the excellent performer that the M42 S-M-C 105/2.8 I also recently purchased is, but it still does a very respectable job. I am finding the screwmount lenses much easier to use than a regular K-mount "M" lens, simply because of the ergonomics. Manually metering on the K100D with the AE-L buttin is a bit awkward, but leaving the camera in Av mode and just twisting the aperture down (while keeping an eye on the adjusted shutter speed value in the viewfinder) is a snap, plus I get ongoing instantaneous feedback on DOF.

I also got the 55/1.8, which I gather was a kit lens back in the old days, judging by the great number of them available on the market. For general photography I'm not overly impressed with it, finding instead my A50/2 or the kit lens to give better results. Since I bought it primarily to see what sort of results it would give for portraits (and to slake my LBA lust) I don't find that to be a negative, though. I haven't had a chance to try it out on portraits yet, so I can't say anything about it in that role.

I have a S-M-C 135/3.5 en route from the U.S. via slow boat and am eager to see how it will perform. From my experiences with the greatly underappreciated and much maligned SMC Takumar (Bayonet) 135/2.5 I already know that 135 is a focal length that is very useful for the type of day-to-day shooting I do I'm really hoping that it will be a good performer.

Based on my few days experience with the screwmount lenses thus far, I am very happy and look forward to expanding my collection of them. I have to keep my kit lens in the bag in case of emergencies. (I may have to take photos of any sort of accident or mishap at work and I need something I know will easily and reliably work with my flash unit even in pitch-black situations). But other than that, I would be perfectly happy to fill my bag with M42s and leave the modern stuff at home.
03-15-2007, 07:16 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
I'm afraid that I may have been bitten by the Tak-bug. I received a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f/4 macro yesterday (with matching extension tubes). I'm in love. I should have the Pentax adapter arriving today, along with the SMC Takumar 200 f/4.
01-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Pentax adapter arriving today, along with the SMC Takumar 200 f/4.
I too picked up the 4/200.. a gift from a old pentax shooter gone Nikon. Where can you buy the adapter so I can fit to my K20? JIM

01-04-2010, 05:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have an SMC 200/4 (originally thinking it was a Super Tak) .... and in my experience of using it .... it's a nice lens ... BUT ... it's not quite as amazing as the other Taks in my collection.

Maybe it is me ... but I really didn't seem to get that amazing depth of colour/rendering from it like I do with all my other Taks.

Although i had some fun with it with my extension tubes.

Jimbo ... I suggest getting the correct Pentax one direct from Pentax ... it's easier mount/unmount without tools ... and fit perfectly and functions 100% correctly.
01-04-2010, 07:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I would suggest that the OP look for a Takumar 200mm f:5.6 pre-set. Smaller, lighter, sharper than the later f:4. A little slower, but the pre-set operations allowed by the additional aperture ring actually makes it easier to operate quickly & more efficiently than it's more modern counterpart, as far as wide open focusing to taking aperture transfer is concerned.
01-04-2010, 07:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote

I also got the 55/1.8, which I gather was a kit lens back in the old days, judging by the great number of them available on the market. For general photography I'm not overly impressed with it, finding instead my A50/2 or the kit lens to give better results.
If your copy of the usually excellent 55mm M42 is being outperformed by the (IMHO) lesser quality A 50mm f:2, Mike, I would respectfully suggest that you try obtaining another copy of the 55mm.

01-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
I too picked up the 4/200.. a gift from a old pentax shooter gone Nikon. Where can you buy the adapter so I can fit to my K20? JIM
I believe Henry's carries the genuine Pentax adapter in Canada.

WARNING: A lot of people here have had a bad experience with third party adapters. I know I did. Get the genuine Pentax.
01-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
imbo ... I suggest getting the correct Pentax one direct from Pentax ... it's easier mount/unmount without tools ... and fit perfectly and functions 100% correctly.
Thanks Simon. I picked that up after reading through the posts. Appreciate your help. JIM

QuoteQuote:
believe Henry's carries the genuine Pentax adapter in Canada.
I will check out there web site. Thank you for the help. JIM