Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
07-05-2022, 03:05 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"A" on aperture ring.

I collect Pentax mount lenses and am reasonably inexperienced about other mounts.
And I enjoy the chase on the auction sites.
This seller has not mentioned mount.
My question is - does the presence of the "A" on the aperture ring definitely mean it is K mount ?

Attached Images

07-05-2022, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Probably … best ask the seller for a view of the mount to be totally sure.
07-05-2022, 03:24 PM   #3
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I took the gamble based also on a "Asahi" mount cap as well. At about US $30 can't really go wrong.
I would rather not ask the question as it also informs others.
But it is a useful bit of info to know for the future.
Attached Images

07-05-2022, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks like at least Canon FD mount lenses have an "A" as well. The Canon brand ones I'm seeing (just looking at pics on ebay) have it to the right, with the f stop numbers going in the opposite direction of Pentax lenses. But since you're looking at a 3rd party lens, who knows if that would apply. I would ask the seller for sure.

07-05-2022, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #5
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
Looks like at least Canon FD mount lenses have an "A" as well. The Canon brand ones I'm seeing (just looking at pics on ebay) have it to the right, with the f stop numbers going in the opposite direction of Pentax lenses. But since you're looking at a 3rd party lens, who knows if that would apply. I would ask the seller for sure.
It is definitely a male mount on the lens. But thanks for that.
07-05-2022, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nikon and Sony A mount both fit a K Mount cap. The A usually has a lock button on K Mount typically.
07-05-2022, 04:36 PM   #7
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Nikon and Sony A mount both fit a K Mount cap.
It is more the cap eliminates Canon FD.
It looks like Minolta of that era went without a ring?

07-05-2022, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was thinking anything with autofocus was likely to be Pentax mount because Canon EF and Minolta AF had both ditched the rings.

Nikons always have the orange smallest aperture, and sometimes have the little lock thing, but no "A".

And I don't think any of the autofocus lenses would have had Ricoh pins to worry about...

-Eric
07-05-2022, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ask to see the front of the lens. A on Pentax lens is a KA lens. On the Pentax Super Program/ SuperA the camera could be set in several modes. Aputure priority, Shutter priority, and Program. A KA lens can be used on many digital cameras as they can set the aperture just will not autofocus
07-05-2022, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That sure looks like the model 52EP I used to have. That was optically like the Tamron 52B or BB, except with a KAF mount. I think you did well. I paid $140 for mine without the hood. It's a very handy size.
07-05-2022, 06:37 PM   #11
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Denver Quote
Ask to see the front of the lens. A on Pentax lens is a KA lens. On the Pentax Super Program/ SuperA the camera could be set in several modes. Aputure priority, Shutter priority, and Program. A KA lens can be used on many digital cameras as they can set the aperture just will not autofocus
It is just that on our national Auction site here in NZ people often fail to identify the lens they are selling properly. This gives the opportunity to get some bargains with a bit of detective work. To simply ask helps other bidders in their decision making so often it is worth banking on your skills and taking the gamble . But I have never been sure that the "A" feature identifies a K mount.
I am now fairly confident that this purchase is K mount because it appears this model only came out in Nikon, Minolta and K.
The more common adaptall 2 version would cater for the other mounts.
Attached Images

07-05-2022, 09:40 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
It is just that on our national Auction site here in NZ people often fail to identify the lens they are selling properly.
What is the Auction site? Just out of interest...
07-05-2022, 10:55 PM   #13
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rpjallan Quote
What is the Auction site? Just out of interest...
This one
Trade Me
And for your next challenge identify the lens - it has me stumped - probably a cheap after market from the 70s. But I am thinking it is longer than 50mm and shorter than 135mm.
Price is a bit steep to gamble too much and the reserve hasn't been met.
EDIT going by the dof scale I think it is a 35mm.

Last edited by GUB; 07-06-2022 at 12:09 AM.
07-06-2022, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nikon and pentax have the F numbers rising from R to L as you look at the top of the lens mount. The "A" in that position is wholly distinctive of pentax.

As mentioned by Dave, looks like the 90mm macro - good lens!

Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.5 Macro 1:2 (52EP) Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Last edited by marcusBMG; 07-06-2022 at 09:14 AM.
07-06-2022, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I took the gamble based also on a "Asahi" mount cap as well. At about US $30 can't really go wrong.
The lens cap is more reassuring than the "A" symbol to me. It's not a risky gamble at that price.