HD FA 77 1736.17%
SMC FA 77 2553.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 53 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2022, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMC FA 77mm, incredible results from a compact lens. I've spent months using it with K-1, in all sorts of locations and circumstances.

07-10-2022, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If I didn't already have a DA70, I would prefer FA77 over FA*85.
There just is something special about the compact limited lenses.
More enjoyable to use than larger lenses IMO.
07-10-2022, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As usual, much depends on the usage and circumstance when making such choices. The FA 77mm is amazingly compact and with amazing imaging for a lens of this FL. I've had this lens for many years, bought new for use on my Pentax 35mm bodies. It is a silver version MIJ. After getting my K-1 II, I decided to also get a new black one of the HD version. I have the DA HD 70mm as well, now for several years, because it is actually quite different in FL (actually 65mm while the FA 77mm is right on), in aperture speed, and thus usage. It is better if wanting to avoid fringing, have more in the frame, and better edge-to-edge sharpness.

The FA 77mm is so very useful, and so very portable. Great for easy carrying when bicycle-riding. It can even do great closeups, as shown above. Very effective for bug-on-flower shots, as its small size is less likely to disturb small critters, and longer FL to give some distance. Just do left-eye to the VF to hide your eyes. This lens is ideal for doing candids during gatherings of friends or family, as it does not attract attention near as much due to its small size. To go with your new K-3 III, I would recommend the added perfection of the HD version to gain better results against flair that can occur under some lighting conditions.

---------- Post added 07-10-22 at 12:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The only one I'm certain I will always keep is the FA77. It may not be quite as amazing as the weighty eighties, but it's easily good enough for my humble needs - while offering compactness, beauty, and joy
My experience exactly! I don't have any of the weighty eighties, but imaging from my FA 77 Ltds has been amazing, bokeh is wonderful, and can be just the thing to choose for so many situations.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-10-2022 at 12:35 PM.
07-10-2022, 05:49 PM - 3 Likes   #19
Forum Member

Number of 77Ltd owners with buyer regret ever in the entire galaxy = 0

07-10-2022, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was in the same boat years ago. When I connected everything together, weight trumped all else. I can bring the 77 f1.8 and several other lenses effortlessly. I have been VERY happy with the lens, very snappy (I wanted to shoot children portraits). At the time it was also an APS reason (the focal length of the 85mm seemed a bit long on APS) but I have been happy with the lens on both APS and Full frame. For fun I ultimately also picked up a 85mm f1.8 SMC Takumar and that is a sharp fun lens too.
07-11-2022, 06:30 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Billking Quote
Number of 77Ltd owners with buyer regret ever in the entire galaxy = 0

=1

I replaced it with DA70/2.4 and found it better for my usage.
07-11-2022, 06:58 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
=1

I replaced it with DA70/2.4 and found it better for my usage.
The DA70 is really nice for people shots on the K-1 but it really falls apart in the corners. Vignette, soft and a bit of colour shift depending on aperture. Those things can be really positive for portrait type images and turn the DA70 into quite th character lens.

07-11-2022, 07:07 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Don't forget about the SMC AIV version: . . . PS: AIV stands for Assembled In Vietnam
officially there is no difference between the MIJ and AIV SMC versions

except history of course
07-11-2022, 07:20 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The DA70 is really nice for people shots on the K-1 but it really falls apart in the corners. Vignette, soft and a bit of colour shift depending on aperture. Those things can be really positive for portrait type images and turn the DA70 into quite th character lens.
Sure, but the OP has a K-3 III.
07-11-2022, 08:04 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
officially there is no difference between the MIJ and AIV SMC versions

except history of course
You are quite right, but the OP specified a second hand MIJ version. And I think the AIV should not be ignored because it is just as good as the older Made in Japan version. (Who knows, maybe even better.)
07-11-2022, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
officially there is no difference between the mij and aiv smc versions
^ this^
07-11-2022, 09:18 AM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
You are quite right, but the OP specified a second hand MIJ version. And I think the AIV should not be ignored because it is just as good as the older Made in Japan version. (Who knows, maybe even better.)
As far as I know the smc AIV version is no longer being produced

So unless one finds one in old stock, it too, would be second hand

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-11-2022 at 03:21 PM.
07-11-2022, 09:52 AM   #28
Pentaxian

As far as I know the smc aiv version is no longer being produced

So unless one finds one in old stock, it too, would be second hand
Ricoh Europe still has the SMC AIV silver version in stock. But it is much more expensive than the HD version.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 07-12-2022 at 03:01 PM. Reason: typo
07-11-2022, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
^ this^
I had someone interested in both an FA31&77 I was selling at a VERY fair price, but he ended up paying several hundred more for the pair from another source because he insisted the MiJ's they were selling priced quite a bit higher rendered images noticeably better than my AiV versions. Someone said so on the internet.

OK, can't argue with that.

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-12-2022 at 02:57 AM.
07-11-2022, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I had someone interested in both an FA31&77 I was selling at a VERY fair price, but he ended up paying several hundred more for the pair from another source because he insisted the MiJ's they were selling priced quite a bit higher rendered images noticeably better than my MiV versions. Someone said so on the internet.

OK, can't argue with that.
Image differences? As far as I’ve seen there aren’t any (which I’m sure you understand.) collectors might want examples of both just for the sake of it offering completeness - but otherwise it’s silly to care. I don’t own two of the same lens however I do own a Silver MIJ 31 and a Black AIV 77.