Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2022, 08:04 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Buying a faulty DA 18-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL DC WR, is it worth reparairing it?

Hi fellow Pentaxians, I need some words of advice from you.

I am looking into upgrading my gear, being my lenses only from the analog era (apart from the kit lens 18-55mm). I stumbled across a faulty 18-135mm lens on sale for 55$. I spoke with the owner and he explained me what's wrong with it. The main issue comes with the autofocus. He told me that the autofocus until 50-80mm works fine, while it is dead from 50-80mm to 135mm. He explained this issue as if the entire focus mechanism is "unhooked" from the barrel containing the lens in this focal range (sorry if i'm not clear explaining it, English is not my first language). So, he told me that for focusing in this focal range, he has to phisically pull and push the barrell. Apart from that, the lens works fine.

Did you ever hear about this kind of problem? I am thinking about buying it in order to try and repair it. Would it be too hard for someone like me that has no experience with taking apart modern lenses like this one?

07-11-2022, 08:19 AM - 4 Likes   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldn't touch it, but that's just me...

I have no experience working on lenses, and a modern zoom, with a in-body focus motor doesn't sound like a DIY project...
07-11-2022, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I wouldn't touch it, but that's just me...

I have no experience working on lenses, and a modern zoom, with a in-body focus motor doesn't sound like a DIY project...
Yeah, It seems like a job for someone with a lot of experience.

P.S. I forgot to add that I would be willing to purchase and use this lens as is, the lack of autofocus would not be a major inconvenience, for me
07-11-2022, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

As long as manual focus works properly and you are OK with manual focus, then maybe buy it. But I would be concerned that the lens has been subjected to some sort of trauma and is no longer capable of producing sharp pictures.

07-11-2022, 09:20 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd say hold out and save up for a better condition one. They can be had for little more than double that (ignoring for now whatever additional costs to get it imported to your location, which I know can be considerable).

Even for triple that price, it's a good deal. Of course, another $55 or $110 may mean more to some than to others. Then again, if $55 is a relatively considerable amount to spend, then $55 for a possible paperweight probably seems like too much to risk.

Also, keep an eye out in the marketplace here for Europe sellers, one just may come up in better condition for a good price.
07-11-2022, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I think at $55 you waste your money. Did you take into account that you have to pay taxes if you import it to your country? I would wait for a good working one. As Pepperberry Farm states keep your hands of it, you would only burn them. Brofkand is right: you only get that kind of extreme damages inside a lens if it has experienced a severe trauma. And if the owner says it "works fine apart from..." do not believe him. That lens belongs in the bin and nowhere else! And believe me, the seller knows that.

"for focusing in this focal range, he has to phisically pull and push the barrell" that would be for zooming, it is an IF lens and to me it seems there is nothing to push and shove with the barrel to get the object sharp in your OVF.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 07-11-2022 at 10:11 AM. Reason: additonal information added
07-11-2022, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I consider myself pretty handy with fixing things, but I think I would pass on this deal. The owner refers to the autofocus being an issue, but by the way it is described, it sounds like manual focus is not working properly either. You indicate he has to manually "push and pull" the barrel to focus, which sounds like the focus ring doesn't work either. If I recall correctly, this is one of the newer focus-by-wire lenses where the focus ring is not mechanically connected to the lens barrel, it's only electrically connected and still uses the AF motor.

07-11-2022, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
As long as manual focus works properly and you are OK with manual focus, then maybe buy it. But I would be concerned that the lens has been subjected to some sort of trauma and is no longer capable of producing sharp pictures.
I didn't think about it, I should ask about this to the owner.

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
I'd say hold out and save up for a better condition one. They can be had for little more than double that (ignoring for now whatever additional costs to get it imported to your location, which I know can be considerable).

Even for triple that price, it's a good deal. Of course, another $55 or $110 may mean more to some than to others. Then again, if $55 is a relatively considerable amount to spend, then $55 for a possible paperweight probably seems like too much to risk.

Also, keep an eye out in the marketplace here for Europe sellers, one just may come up in better condition for a good price.
Yes, finding a good one for the price you suggest would be great. Unfortunately, when I check from time to time, the 18-135 is one of the lenses that I rarely see with a really affordable price tag, considering that its original price was pretty high for a kit lens. Luckily, I would not spend any additional fees for importing it, I would just pay for the delivery inside my country (from Italy to Italy). I roughly included the fees in the 55$ I mentioned in the post and that's why, even with its quirks, I am considering buying it. If it was the case of spending additional 10s of euros for importing it because of customs clearance or intercontinental delivery, I would not consider buying it. Nonetheless, I will check regularly here on the forum (It would be also nice to find a 55-300mm some time in future )

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I think at $55 you waste your money. Did you take into account that you have to pay taxes if you import it to your country? I would wait for a good working one. As Pepperberry Farm states keep your hands of it, you would only burn them. Brofkand is right: you only get that kind of extreme damages inside a lens if it has experienced a severe trauma. And if the owner says it "works fine apart from..." do not believe him. That lens belongs in the bin and nowhere else! And believe me, the seller knows that.

"for focusing in this focal range, he has to phisically pull and push the barrell" that would be for zooming, it is an IF lens and to me it seems there is nothing to push and shove with the barrel to get the object sharp in your OVF.
Thanks, Probably I got it wrong from his explanation about how the lens works. Anyway, yes, I am worried too about the real condition of the lens, I will probably check for other lenses instead of this one.

---------- Post added 07-11-22 at 10:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cdw2000 Quote
I consider myself pretty handy with fixing things, but I think I would pass on this deal. The owner refers to the autofocus being an issue, but by the way it is described, it sounds like manual focus is not working properly either. You indicate he has to manually "push and pull" the barrel to focus, which sounds like the focus ring doesn't work either. If I recall correctly, this is one of the newer focus-by-wire lenses where the focus ring is not mechanically connected to the lens barrel, it's only electrically connected and still uses the AF motor.
Thanks for the useful insight, this shines an even brighter light on the condition of the lens.
07-11-2022, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look online for second hand stores. Pawn brokers etc. Recently here in Australia there was one for $150 AUD.
07-11-2022, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A few years ago, while on vacation, my Pentax 18-250mm lens failed to autofocus above 70mm. I had it reapaired for 160€; they had to switch out a damaged circuit board, and no, the lens had not been subjected to any trauma. After repair, it has performed flawlessly. MPB has a copy of the 18-135mm for sale at 164€. That is an offer I would prefer over the one you are considering, but it is your choice, of course. Whatever you choose, the 18-135mm is a very versatile lens that I an very fond of.
07-11-2022, 08:35 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by peptheyep Quote
Hi fellow Pentaxians, I need some words of advice from you.

I am looking into upgrading my gear, being my lenses only from the analog era (apart from the kit lens 18-55mm). I stumbled across a faulty 18-135mm lens on sale for 55$. I spoke with the owner and he explained me what's wrong with it. The main issue comes with the autofocus. He told me that the autofocus until 50-80mm works fine, while it is dead from 50-80mm to 135mm. He explained this issue as if the entire focus mechanism is "unhooked" from the barrel containing the lens in this focal range (sorry if i'm not clear explaining it, English is not my first language). So, he told me that for focusing in this focal range, he has to phisically pull and push the barrell. Apart from that, the lens works fine.

Did you ever hear about this kind of problem? I am thinking about buying it in order to try and repair it. Would it be too hard for someone like me that has no experience with taking apart modern lenses like this one?
I wouldn't have thought there were many user-serviceable parts.

The 18-135 has a good reputation and isn't rare so I think you should just save and get a nice secondhand copy when the time is right.
07-12-2022, 12:55 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

I had a decentred copy as a result of it being knocked. It was much cheaper to get another one from fleabay rather than get it fixed. My regular camera repair guys* are up front about that sort of thing. I'm pretty sure I paid much less than half the Australian new price. Bargains appear if you're patient.

*https://www.cameraservicecentre.com.au/
07-12-2022, 01:31 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cdw2000 Quote
If I recall correctly, this is one of the newer focus-by-wire lenses
No, it is no focus by wire. Just old fashioned focus.

QuoteOriginally posted by peptheyep Quote
its original price was pretty high for a kit lens
It was not a kit lens from the start. But the 18-135 became very popular and was later on added to several kits. The also popular 16-85 was a kit lens with the K-3 Mark II. At the moment the 18-135 lens is more expensive (about a € 100,00) than the 55-300 PLM here in Europe, imagine that! The 18-135 is well worth the money and I noticed that it shines on my KP and gives better results than with the K-3 Mark II.
I am glad you will not buy the one you started this conversation for. I think as a student you cannot afford to buy this one and realize you wasted your money.
07-12-2022, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by allanmh Quote
A few years ago, while on vacation, my Pentax 18-250mm lens failed to autofocus above 70mm. I had it reapaired for 160€; they had to switch out a damaged circuit board, and no, the lens had not been subjected to any trauma. After repair, it has performed flawlessly. MPB has a copy of the 18-135mm for sale at 164€. That is an offer I would prefer over the one you are considering, but it is your choice, of course. Whatever you choose, the 18-135mm is a very versatile lens that I an very fond of.
Thanks for the feedback. When I bought my k-70, I would have really liked to get one with the 18-135 included at a good price, but in the end i got one with the 18-55 for a much lower price so yes, getting one sooner or later would be nice.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I wouldn't have thought there were many user-serviceable parts.

The 18-135 has a good reputation and isn't rare so I think you should just save and get a nice secondhand copy when the time is right.
I guess you're right.

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Bargains appear if you're patient.
True. This time around this is not the right deal, almost probably.

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
It was not a kit lens from the start. But the 18-135 became very popular and was later on added to several kits. The also popular 16-85 was a kit lens with the K-3 Mark II. At the moment the 18-135 lens is more expensive (about a € 100,00) than the 55-300 PLM here in Europe, imagine that! The 18-135 is well worth the money and I noticed that it shines on my KP and gives better results than with the K-3 Mark II.
I am glad you will not buy the one you started this conversation for. I think as a student you cannot afford to buy this one and realize you wasted your money.
It makes perfect sense, it really is a great lens.

---------- Post added 07-12-22 at 10:19 AM ----------

Thanks for your answers, your feedback is very much appreciated. I decided not to get it.
07-13-2022, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some people almost never use AF, preferring to focus manually for nearly 100% of all shots. For them, this would be a very good deal.. but, this lens's AF performance is one of its outstanding features. I've had mine for over 10 years, used it on numerous camera models, and have found it to deliver exceptionally fast and accurate AF compared to most other lenses on the same camera. This is a very well-performing, well-built, versatile lens, delivering fine imaging, and a very large zoom range yet in a still compact design. It is a bargain, even at its new price!

Some people carry their camera on a strap hanging around their neck. Then zoom creep could eventually develop with this lens. Another matter to consider when buying used. I carry my camera in a belt loop/shoulder strap holster-type case, and simply draw out the camera when the need arises to use it, then placing it back in the case when done shooting. Better for security, providing protection and support for the equipment, as well as stability in carrying. No zoom creep, even after all this time.