Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2008, 05:23 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
Hey folks,

I've begun to REALLY love prime lenses.

I'm really loving my Pentax A-50 F1.7 a lot, and currently the Pentax M 28 F2.8 that accompanies it. These coupled with the Pentax M 135 F3.5 make up my prime kit (although I'll sometimes bring out the DA* 50-135 to cover the upper range).

I'm planning to do more paid/professional shoots in the future and am looking to invest in some good prime lenses (probably only for the 10-60mm range. My 50-135 does the telephoto job fine). The thing is, I've fallen in love with manual focus primes (Auto-Aperture) right now but the only lenses that seem to fit my desires are the A lenses. They have great manual focus feel and work well with Av mode (which I use a lot).

My concern about using these older lenses is whether they'll last (A lenses are about 20 years old or so?), and whether they will be able to hold up to various events and weddings and portrait shots. I just had a Sigma Macro 50mm (manual focus) jam up on me. It's practically dead for all intents and purposes until I attempt surgery on it. I have another Sigma Super Wide II that's starting to make scratching sounds when I focus... Anyways, this got me thinking about the longevity of lenses.

Here's my question in a nutshell: Should I stay with really good condition Pentax-A prime lenses since I ilke them a lot or try to purchase an alternative for long term? Most newer lenses I've tried don't have that manual focus feel...

Any suggestions and feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Not sure what A lenses you have beside the A50/1.7, but I will for sure never part with my A lenses. They have most of the build quality of the older lenses, often splendid optics, full set of exposure possibilities and only lack autofocus, which isn't Pentax strength anyway. Between the A lenses of the 80's and the limiteds and DA's I just find the F's and FA's (not to mention the awful FAJ's) to be plastic toys. Stick with the A's, get more if you can.

Watch the shoot out between the DA*50-135 and A50+A*85+A100+A*135.
Who won the portrait fight? Who will win the brickwall shooting?

12-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
That's what I've been thinking. I want to get the FA non-limiteds, but unfortunately they don't have that manual focus 'feel' when you de-couple the AF. Otherwise, I'd have FA lenses all over the place right now.

I will NEVER part with my A50 F1.7 as well. This thing is a gem and gives me amazing images (if used properly).

One possibility is to mix it up with the DA35 and my A50 F1.7. The DA35 has great manual focus feel!! (that is, if I can't find a good copy of the A 35...?)