Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2022, 05:54 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Well, you've got the best one for versatility with quality imaging. And still compact for such a great zoom range. I've had mine for over 10 years, used on many camera bodies, and just used it this past weekend on a KP for an event where its capabilities were greatly needed, and it delivered admirably!
18-135 indeed is versatile, but I would say the image quality isn't that impressive.

The vignetting is so obvious that ---- I learn what vignetting can do to my photography if it couldn't be controlled well.

I believe 18-50 RE must be doing a better job right ?

07-25-2022, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hayashi Quote
believe 18-50 RE must be doing a better job right ?
No, the 18-50mm RE is not a better lens than the DA 18-135mm, in fact quite the reverse. But for compactness, and with good quality for a kit lens, this lens is very unique. For very critical work there are better options, but which are not nearly as compact.

Vignetting has been tested as being heavy with the DA 18-135mm, but only at its widest 18mm setting and then only at wide open aperture. When stopping down, vignetting goes down rapidly. Vignetting performance is actually quite good for a zoom lens, especially one of such a large zoom range. Even very expensive, highly-regarded lenses can exhibit considerable vignetting wide open, like the FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited, for example. This problem is also greatly reduced with this lens by stopping down some.

As to image quality, the DA 18-135mm lens can deliver excellent sharpness figures virtually throughout its zoom range in the central portion of the frame. Edges of frame sharpness are very good to excellent also between 18-70mm, but need to be stopped down a little. Edge sharpness diminishes as the lens is zoomed into a more tele range, but this is usually less important in longer tele shots anyway. This is exceptional performance for a lens of such versatility and zoom range. Many fine images are presented in the "DA 18-135mm WR, Show us what it can do" thread as testimonials to its impressive capabilities, which can show the imaging improvements as Pentax DSLR cameras have progressed over time. This proves the quality of this lens, revealing the improved quality of the latest Pentax cameras. I've had mine for over 10 years, and have used it on numerous camera bodies. I just had it on my KP for an event shoot a week ago.

I also have a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM, along with my Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, which are excellent on my KP, and I love them when I don't mind carrying their relatively modest additional bulk, and the obvious need for lens-changing, and especially when I will need their f/2.8 advantage.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-25-2022 at 01:54 PM.
07-25-2022, 02:34 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@Mikesbike has the SMC version (aka DA L). I believe that the HD version is sharper and better at all focal lengths.

When PentaxForums did the 18-50 vs 18-55 comparisons, they had both the SMC and the HD version of the 18-50 but unfortunately they only used the HD 18-50 for one focal length... 35mm. They called it a HD vs SMC DA 18-50 review but they only compared the SMC 18-50 with the SMC 18-55 at all focal lengths. Then at 35mm where they also included the HD 16-85mm lens, they wrote this: "The 18-55mm and DA L 18-50mm are similar up to F5.6. What is surprising is that the HD 18-50mm is much better at wide apertures, delivering results comparable to those of the HD 16-85mm, regarded as a very sharp lens.".

I really wish they had actually tested the HD 18-50 in an article called "HD vs SMC 18-50"! But no, they instead said they compared the SMC 18-50 with the SMC 18-55 because "we do not expect differences between the DA L and HD versions".

Every person I have seen that has had the HD version says it's much superior to the 18-55mm versions (myself included). In my case it's not just sharper, the HD 18-50 is better corrected as well, has better micro-contrast, has quite a lot more contrast and much better colors (very similar to DA Limiteds in that way).

Every person I have seen that has had the SMC version has said it's similar in performance to the 18-55mm versions.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 07-25-2022 at 02:40 PM.
07-25-2022, 04:49 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I sold my DA 18-55mm WR due to not being as sharp as I wanted. The HD 18-50mm copy I now have is sharper and even more, is so quiet when focusing. I much prefer the HD 18-50 over the 18-55.

07-30-2022, 05:35 AM   #20

Original Poster
No, the 18-50mm RE is not a better lens than the DA 18-135mm, in fact quite the reverse. But for compactness, and with good quality for a kit lens, this lens is very unique. For very critical work there are better options, but which are not nearly as compact.

Vignetting has been tested as being heavy with the DA 18-135mm, but only at its widest 18mm setting and then only at wide open aperture. When stopping down, vignetting goes down rapidly. Vignetting performance is actually quite good for a zoom lens, especially one of such a large zoom range. Even very expensive, highly-regarded lenses can exhibit considerable vignetting wide open, like the FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited, for example. This problem is also greatly reduced with this lens by stopping down some.

As to image quality, the DA 18-135mm lens can deliver excellent sharpness figures virtually throughout its zoom range in the central portion of the frame. Edges of frame sharpness are very good to excellent also between 18-70mm, but need to be stopped down a little. Edge sharpness diminishes as the lens is zoomed into a more tele range, but this is usually less important in longer tele shots anyway. This is exceptional performance for a lens of such versatility and zoom range. Many fine images are presented in the "DA 18-135mm WR, Show us what it can do" thread as testimonials to its impressive capabilities, which can show the imaging improvements as Pentax DSLR cameras have progressed over time. This proves the quality of this lens, revealing the improved quality of the latest Pentax cameras. I've had mine for over 10 years, and have used it on numerous camera bodies. I just had it on my KP for an event shoot a week ago.

I also have a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM, along with my Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, which are excellent on my KP, and I love them when I don't mind carrying their relatively modest additional bulk, and the obvious need for lens-changing, and especially when I will need their f/2.8 advantage.
Thanks for the explains.

I agree the center of 18-135 is very very good, so good that the corners seem bad in comparison.

So what you saying is that, if I am not very happy with 18-135, 18-50RE wouldn't do any better, or even worse.

Feels like I should hold back and consider again, even the HD18-50 doesn't really cost too much.
07-30-2022, 12:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Every person I have seen that has had the SMC version has said it's similar in performance to the 18-55mm versions.
I had both until I gave away my DA 18-55mm II of many years. I found my little SMC 18-50mm to be a bit better, much better for its AF performance, and of course featuring WR. I've not had the HD version, but my experience indicates it would be better than the non-HD version. This experience was a pleasant surprise when I also gave away my DA 55-300mm to the same friends along with my K-r. It had the quick-shift function, and worked just fine, but with damaged filter threads. I replaced it with the HD WR version. The HD coatings made quite a difference in IQ, which I was not expecting. I'll probably not go for the better HD version over my DA-L 18-50mm, as this one is plenty good enough for the needs I use it for, I got it new for dirt-cheap cost, and it is an improvement over my former DA 18-55mm II lens functionally, and practically.

---------- Post added 07-30-22 at 12:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Hayashi Quote
So what you saying is that, if I am not very happy with 18-135, 18-50RE wouldn't do any better, or even worse.

Feels like I should hold back and consider again, even the HD18-50 doesn't really cost too much.
I do believe the DA 18-135mm WR lens to be a better one, and its build quality is much better. Its AF performance is among the very best of all Pentax lenses, of which I have many. Consider that practically all zoom lenses diminish in their performance as they are zoomed to their longest FL, which means 50mm vs.135mm. In both cases, stopping down a bit helps. But with the shorter lens, wide open is f/5.6 at 50mm while with the larger zoom lens wide open is f/4.5 at 50mm, only about a stop off the pro-type f/2.8 zoom lenses. It is in the excellent sharpness range centrally, and can provide a higher shutter speed wide open than can the shorter zoom lens, which I doubt will still be in the excellent sharpness range at its 50mm limit. Stopping down just to f/5.6 at 50mm to equal the wide open figure of the smaller lens, the DA 18-135mm lens produces very good and including excellent results across the whole frame, even in corners! At f/8 it reaches excellent and very near excellent all the way across! The DA 18-135mm can maintain apertures of f/3.5-4.5 out to a 70mm zoom range.

The Pentax HD DA 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 offers more consistently finer edge performance than the DA 18-135mm wide open from 18-50mm, if you get a good copy- I've seen a number of posts where several returns had to be made before this could be achieved. But if stopped down a bit, the DA 18-135mm is very close in performance to 50mm. At its limit of 85mm, edges are definitely better from the 16-85mm lens, but centrally the DA 18-135mm is better, still at its excellent rating, then continues to be at or near so centrally on to its 135mm limit. Diminishment of IQ as it is zoomed to its FL limit is primarily in edge performance. This is the better way to go I think, preserving central quality at the tele end of the range.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-30-2022 at 01:22 PM.
08-12-2022, 02:20 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I'll leave this here for future reference... the pictures are from the K10D but I have had very sharp results from the K-S1, K-S2 and K-3 as well...

18mm wide open at f4... very sharp and relatively well corrected - better than any zoom I've ever owned.

Gets even sharper at 18mm and f8. From f5.6 on, I can't see any purple fringing at all.

At 35mm it's just crazy sharp... this is wide open at f4.5.

Even at 50mm it's sharp enough wide open, though not bitingly sharp. It does get bitingly sharp with fantastic contrast at f8.

08-12-2022, 11:18 PM   #23
SFX

Being very enthusiastic about the SMC 18-50mm I tried to buy the HD 18-50mm as well. So far I have not succeeded. I asked RICOH if the HD is still available... On (the) site(s) it seems unclear to me whether they mean the SMC or the HD version. Strange, but I have not yet received a response from RICOH Europe. Another supplier has it on order for me now....
08-13-2022, 05:44 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SFX Quote
Being very enthusiastic about the SMC 18-50mm I tried to buy the HD 18-50mm as well. So far I have not succeeded. I asked RICOH if the HD is still available... On (the) site(s) it seems unclear to me whether they mean the SMC or the HD version. Strange, but I have not yet received a response from RICOH Europe. Another supplier has it on order for me now....
I’ve owned both. I didn’t find a huge difference optically. However I kept the HD one since the value of a used lens wasn’t big enough between the two wasn’t enough to justify selling the more expensive one. In my case I also felt the mechanical aspects of the hd lens which has been purchased new were superior to the smc version which had been purchased used. The retraction and extension was a little easier on the hd copy likely because it was new.
08-13-2022, 06:17 AM   #25
SFX

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I’ve owned both. I didn’t find a huge difference optically. However I kept the HD one since the value of a used lens wasn’t big enough between the two wasn’t enough to justify selling the more expensive one. In my case I also felt the mechanical aspects of the hd lens which has been purchased new were superior to the smc version which had been purchased used. The retraction and extension was a little easier on the hd copy likely because it was new.
Thank you for your response. Your story is clear to me! To my surprise, I find the (SMC) 18-50 optically "good" (enough). Mechanically I think it's "reasonable". I think I'll stop looking for an HD version.
08-13-2022, 07:21 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SFX Quote
Thank you for your response. Your story is clear to me! To my surprise, I find the (SMC) 18-50 optically "good" (enough). Mechanically I think it's "reasonable". I think I'll stop looking for an HD version.
To be completely clear there was a small optical difference. I attributed this to having a hood and the hd coatings. So slightly more contrast and better flare handling in tougher lighting conditions. My advice, get a cheap hood and use it when you need the extra help.
08-13-2022, 08:11 AM   #27
SFX

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
To be completely clear there was a small optical difference. I attributed this to having a hood and the hd coatings. So slightly more contrast and better flare handling in tougher lighting conditions. My advice, get a cheap hood and use it when you need the extra help.
OK I get your conclusion. Thank you for your advice! I'm going to look for a suitable lens hood.
08-15-2022, 05:33 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I had both until I gave away my DA 18-55mm II of many years.
Sorry if I wasn't a bit more specific... what I meant was that every person who has had both the HD DA 18-50 and the SMC DA 18-50, has stated that the HD version is a lot better.

I wasn't talking about 18-50 vs 18-55.
08-15-2022, 11:38 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I have been thinking about getting an HD version of this lens, but can’t find it at B&H or Adorama. Is it still in production?
08-15-2022, 12:07 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
I have been thinking about getting an HD version of this lens, but can’t find it at B&H or Adorama. Is it still in production?
I think it's been out of production for a while, which is a shame. I still see a few new copies on Amazon from "The Pentax Store", which seems to be Ricoh USA.