Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #16
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is sorta going sideways. I'm not challenging you Newarts. The lenses you listed (I have a couple of them) are fine with the mode you suggest and that's the way to go. The 28 and 55 in the OP's post should work this way also. The 105mm won't it's too small (diameter) and the locking pin, electrical contacts are left exposed. That's why i recomend the Pentax adapter for that lens. It's such a good lens, it's worth the trouble.

12-19-2008, 02:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A quick and dirty shot with the 105mm using a T ring (right thread size wrong thread pitch but it kind of works) only focus' around 3 feet.

Ordered three of the adapters you recommend but from Adorama.
I'm assuming these will give focus at infinity?

Thanks
Wildman

Last edited by wildman; 12-26-2008 at 01:00 PM.
12-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #18
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

As long as they don't have the collars, they should work.
12-19-2008, 03:11 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
As long as they don't have the collars, they should work.
If they cost 12.95USD that's where I got them too!

12-19-2008, 03:26 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
OK...

First of all it is VERY important to me to simply have ALL the lens' converted over PERMANENTLY to a K mount...

Given all that is the Pentax adapter still the only way to go?
If not what specifically would you recommend?
If yes than I'll go with Pentax if I'm convinced I really have to.
Also can the adapter by set up so once the lens is snapped in it is right side up? - So you can read the settings from the top down and not rotated out of view?

Thanks to all
The genuine adapter has the best machining, so it fits the camera and the threads start and finish in the right place. I have a mix of other adapters and they work OK too. One of them needed some filing to work well. I hunt up the genuine adapters for long telephotos just for extra insurance.

The adapted lenses normally end up oriented correctly. They were built that way for the screw-mount cameras. Sometimes the popup flash makes it harder to see the lens markings. Some adapters can have their threads started a few degrees off, so the lens is tilted a bit.

For one of those lenses, you probably can't get the camera's lens locking pin to engage. All of the 105mm Taks that I've seen (4 models) have a tapered base that doesn't extend very much past the adapter. This isn't a big deal, and the lenses are worth the trouble. Your other two have larger bases. I have wondered whether the infinity focus can be adjusted far enough to allow a flanged adapter for my 105mm, but never tried it.
12-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #21
Veteran Member

When I grab a lens out in the field I want to know it's ready to go without loosing time messing about with additional hardware and trying to remember what lens I last used that had the adapter on or to find I forgot to bring the lens with the adapter on etc - just grab it and use it.
An unconverted adapter does not stay on the lens, it stays on the camera. The modifications people are describing are to convert them to stay on the lens.

My suggestion is this - try using just screw mount lenses for a session. That way you only need one adapter, and there's no fussing around or trying to convert adapters so they can stay on the lens. Your adapter can just stay on the camera, and you can change lenses as you like, simple, so fuss.
12-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
My suggestion is this - try using just screw mount lenses for a session. That way you only need one adapter, and there's no fussing around or trying to convert adapters so they can stay on the lens. Your adapter can just stay on the camera, and you can change lenses as you like, simple, so fuss.
This is a good idea because there's more involved than just changing lenses. The different types all work differently, and it's not that easy to keep track of the different methods. With a decent set to work with (which we have here), you'll be more efficient with only screw-mounts. Add in other lenses when the M42 methods are more practiced.

12-19-2008, 06:23 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
A quick and dirty shot with the 105mm using a T ring (right thread size wrong thread pitch but it kind of works) only focus' around 3 feet.
Keep it up and you have a very good probability of ruining the threads on that lens.

Ordered three of the adapters you recommend but from Adorama.
I'm assuming these will give focus at infinity?
That is exactly what I purchased first, a Bower brand - the Pentax on line store was OUT OF STOCK. Dang near couldn't get that thing off the camera. So what did I do? Called the seller (it wasn't Adorama) and they sent me a second adapter at no charge. Guess what? It was NO better than the first one. I had read a whole bunch of threads here and they all said get the GENUINE PENTAX adapter. but I had my new camera and some old lenses and I wanted to get the deal done NOW. To make a long story a little shorter, the Pentax on line store got the adapter back in stock, I got one, and I now live in a house with a white picket fence, the greenest grass in the neighborhood, and a songbird in every tree. And I have a few more Super Tak lenses.
12-19-2008, 11:32 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

...T ring (right thread size wrong thread pitch but it kind of works)...
I cringed when I read that. The threads are often made out of fairly mild metal and if cross-threaded will be permanently damaged.

BTW...Excellent sharpness and color on that leaf. Just promise me that you will wait until you get your adapters before you play any more!

Steve
12-20-2008, 12:40 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I cringed when I read that. The threads are often made out of fairly mild metal and if cross-threaded will be permanently damaged.
Close examination of the adapter and the lens should reveal that whichever had the harder metal became either a tap or a die and ripped a new set of threads onto the softer metal.

I cringed just as hard as you did.
12-20-2008, 12:44 AM   #26
Veteran Member

OK...

First of all it is VERY important to me to simply have ALL the lens' converted over PERMANENTLY to a K mount. When I grab a lens out in the field I want to know it's ready to go without loosing time messing about with additional hardware and trying to remember what lens I last used that had the adapter on or to find I forgot to bring the lens with the adapter on etc - just grab it and use it.
I feel like weeping.

Just sell the Takumars to someone who will love them and buy yourself a nice K-mount 18-250 you can weld to your camera.
12-20-2008, 05:44 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok.

I got it figured out.
Just going to get one Pentax adapter and live with that.
Will not be as useful as I hoped but it's worth a 30 buck apapter.

Thanks,
Wildman
12-20-2008, 08:11 AM   #28
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I cringed just as hard as you did.
Likewise. I did too.

My position was as well, that it's worth the time and effort to use one Pentax adapter to switch lenses when shooting M42's. As I said earlier, I don't agree that they should be modified either since they are such fine pieces of glass. Oh well it's his stuff.
12-20-2008, 08:20 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I feel like weeping.

Just sell the Takumars to someone who will love them and buy yourself a nice K-mount 18-250 you can weld to your camera.

rofl

12-20-2008, 08:26 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Ok.

I got it figured out.
Just going to get one Pentax adapter and live with that.
Will not be as useful as I hoped but it's worth a 30 buck apapter.

Thanks,
Wildman
Wildman, you'll find it's pretty easy. I actually started out like you, wanting to convert all my m42's to K with dedicated adapters, then decided it wasn't worth the cost/effort, because the Pentax adapter was so easy.

Plus, you'd have to get new K-mount rear caps for every lens then - screw-mount rear caps won't go on a K-converted lens.

Your Taks want to be Taks. They'll bring you the images better if they aren't 'corsetted'.