Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2009, 07:40 AM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
whats the difference though? the adapter locks in place with the clip, not the K mount lens lock....

but if you insist, you need to notch it so that it lines up with the lock pin on the K mount. I wouldn't do this though until you have a genuine Pentax adapter,....
In my experience, if you are going to remove the locking spring from the adapter and leave the adapter on the lens:

1) I've had perfectly good results using non-pentax brand adapters..
2) It is useful to have a notch. The notch is what keeps the adapter & lens from falling off the camera when the locking spring is gone.

I prefer the convenience of an adapter on each of my m42 lenses. I think it outweighs the minor alteration to the lens' body.

I don't recommend using a drill to cut the notch.

01-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #47
Veteran Member

whats the difference though? the adapter locks in place with the clip, not the K mount lens lock. if you attach the adapter to the lens and then attach the lens to camera you are still doing the same as attaching the adapter to camera and screwing in the lens. I (for various reasons) do not condone notching an m42 lens. the last thing we need IMO is thousands of poorly filed and notched Takumars out there..... especially when its done by people who usually only rarely use Takumars. its a disturbing thing to do and not worth it IMO if you only use Takumars from time to time.

but if you insist, you need to notch it so that it lines up with the lock pin on the K mount. I wouldn't do this though until you have a genuine Pentax adapter, as I don't know if that will have a difference. and if you do not notch it correctly (look at the notch on the back of a K mount lens) it might not stay locked anyway and you risk the now marred lens falling off.

I suggest either dealing with the adapter or use more Takumars so it isnt an issue unscrewing the lens and leaving the adapter mounted on the camera. and their is nothing wrong with using more Takumars.
Well, when attached to the lens the adapter does not lock to the body so when I focus the lens turns instead of the focus ring sometimes. When he adapter is placed in the body and locked in place, the force from screwing in he lens is enough to keep it in place when focusing. But then it takes much longer to remove the adapter from the body as you have to retract the locking tab with a screwdriver or something else. All my m42 lenses are staying with me forever. They cost me very little and I don't see them going up in value so much that I would have to rely on them to bring in a substantial amount of money...
01-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #48
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Well, when attached to the lens the adapter does not lock to the body
im not understanding you there.

QuoteQuote:
When he adapter is placed in the body and locked in place, the force from screwing in he lens is enough to keep it in place when focusing. But then it takes much longer to remove the adapter from the body as you have to retract the locking tab with a screwdriver or something else.
I would have assumed this was without the locking tab, but based on the rest of the statement, I still don't understand. what adapter do you use? when I screw in my 55mm 1.8 (with pentax adapter) there is absolutely no play with either the lens or adapter whether im focusing or not. (same goes for my 300mm 6.3) and with the pentax adapter I can unscrew the lens and then remove the adapter in about two seconds with my thumb and pointer finger.
01-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #49
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't get this lens notching business at all. First off, I don't think its needed and second off it is de-valuing the lens.

01-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #50
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I don't get this lens notching business at all. First off, I don't think its needed and second off it is de-valuing the lens.
im glad someone shares my view.:ugh:
01-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #51
Site Supporter

im glad someone shares my view.:ugh:
I don't need the taks notched to use them on my Spot F so I don't see the need to do that just to use them on my K2 or or digitals. Plus, these things are built magnificently so why booger them up.
01-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
I prefer the convenience of an adapter on each of my m42 lenses. I think it outweighs the minor alteration to the lens' body.

?????? !! ?????

To each his own, but you basically will never be able to sell those 'notched' lenses anymore for nearly what they're worth.

That's like drilling a hole in the dash of your '66 Porsche 912 so you can attach a cupholder. Gives you a minor bit of convenience, maybe, but jeeze...

01-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #53
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
?????? !! ?????

To each his own, but you basically will never be able to sell those 'notched' lenses anymore for nearly what they're worth.

That's like drilling a hole in the dash of your '66 Porsche 912 so you can attach a cupholder. Gives you a minor bit of convenience, maybe, but jeeze...

I will never buy a notched lens. because 1: its now damaged (even if cosmetic) and 2: because it shows (to me) that he previous owner cared more about convenience than taking care of the lens.

lets face it, these are tools first and foremost, but they are also classic lenses from a bygone era and should be preserved to the best of our ability. I look at it as a privilege to be able to use Takumars and as such I try and make sure I preserve them the best I can during use. to do this I accept that using such lenses on a K mount camera involves a little les convienence. plain and simple.

im not saying one must baby it and never let it see the light of day (nothing wrong with a little brassing from loving use) but that doesnt mean that one should take to drilling or filing the thing to make things a tiny bit more convienent. it just doesnt make sense to me. its part of teh reason i dont like canon users and such using the lenses because god knows they could likely care less about anything other than the famed IQ.

01-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #54
Site Supporter

?????? !! ?????

The "notch" would put a lens in the bgn rating at KEH and similar used resellers by default.
01-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #55
Inactive Account

Guys! These are not maidens being sacrificed here!

These are KEH BGNs to start with. Even so it was with great trepidation that I first sanded paint off an m42 base and even more wrentching was to notch my first notch.

But I no longer think of these babies as a spotmatic lens, rather they are part of a small collection of lenses modified for K manual mount. This group includes a Soligor OM modified to K manual, a minolta lens modified to K and a canon FD as well as m42 lenses. In most cases adapters aren't used, rather the original flange is replaced with a K flange.

Adapters are just a source of K bayonets for me; I even buy bad non-infinity K adapters as a source of K flanges!

I also modify my lens caps by drilling a hole in them to attach a cord & elastic ring! OMIGOD.

And worse, I used VW parts in my 356A Porsche Cabriolet & even worse, put an IOWA license plate on it!

Now that I have a lust for notching I guess I should be registered somewhere and/or denied login to KEH.com? Not yet though. I'm waiting for them to send me a SMC A 70-210/4 that I haven't yet figured a way to modify.
01-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #56
Site Supporter

The OP specified Taks! We wouldn't be upset if it were Maidens because they are made to be sacrificed! As far as modifying FD mounts, most of them would better serve as paper weights with a couple of exceptions. I don't think you buying from KEH is of concern but rather you selling to them. If I ever get a notched lens from them, I'll know who to praise for it.

None the less, I don't get notching Zeiss or Pentacon m42 stuff either. Converting one mount to another, i.e. FD or Oly to k is a lens of another color.

Edit: Oh wait, you meant like feeding them to a Dragon or something didn't you?
01-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #57
Banned

QuoteQuote:
doesn't matter.

QuoteQuote:
But I no longer think of these babies as a spotmatic lens, rather they are part of a small collection of lenses modified for K manual mount
that's your problem. they ARE spotmatic lenses, especially for the many many people (myself included) who still use spotmatics. imagine what would happen to the majority of Takumars out there if most people buying them shared your view.

QuoteQuote:
I also modify my lens caps by drilling a hole in them to attach a cord & elastic ring! OMIGOD.
this is really stupid. seriously. I cant see how one can be so lazy as to actually permanetly damage and destroy any value (money or otherwise) of a lens for a little convienence. especially when you can just use the lens cap keepers that use an adhesive...

seriously man im really starting to dislike the way you think and do things, regardless if it involves Takumars or not. dont mean to be rude but I think what you are doing is utterly stupid. if you want K mount lenses buy K mount lenses. its no secret that K, M, and even som A series lenses were based on or exact copies of optical formulas used in Takumars.
01-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote

And worse, I used VW parts in my 356A Porsche Cabriolet & even worse, put an IOWA license plate on it!

That explains everything.

Hear the one about the Iowa guy who was so fed up with all the Iowa=dumb jokes that he ran up to the IA/MN border and threw a stick of dynamite across?

A MN guy picked it up, lit it, and threw it back.

(I kid... of course)
01-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #59
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
seriously man im really starting to dislike the way you think and do things, regardless if it involves Takumars or not. dont mean to be rude but I think what you are doing is utterly stupid. if you want K mount lenses buy K mount lenses.
I'm sorry that I upset you, but it is true that I tend to see the way things are as a starting place.

Dave

PS If I ever want to use one of my modifed Taks on a Spotmatic, I'll just unscrew the K bayonet ring; it'll work well. Its essential Takiness remains intact.
01-12-2009, 08:47 PM   #60
Site Supporter

That explains everything.

Hear the one about the Iowa guy who was so fed up with all the Iowa=dumb jokes that he ran up to the IA/MN border and threw a stick of dynamite across?

A MN guy picked it up, lit it, and threw it back.

(I kid... of course)
I bet that was a blast!