Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2008, 08:52 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Wildman, you'll find it's pretty easy. I actually started out like you, wanting to convert all my m42's to K with dedicated adapters, then decided it wasn't worth the cost/effort, because the Pentax adapter was so easy.

Plus, you'd have to get new K-mount rear caps for every lens then - screw-mount rear caps won't go on a K-converted lens.

Your Taks want to be Taks. They'll bring you the images better if they aren't 'corsetted'.
Yes it's the most practical way to go. If I have to work fast I have K mounts that are very close to the 28mm (FA35) and the 105mm (Sigma 105 macro) so it's no big deal.

It was confusing because no one was making the distinction between adapting the lens to the camera or the camera to the lens so I wasn't sure I was being understood correctly.

As far as the thread thing goes - I am not brain dead. I just gently rotated the
T ring until all play was taken up and no more. It was not rotated much
more than 3/4 of a turn. After all the T ring is also made of very soft
aluminum also. It was so loose that just focusing the lens tended to
make the lens rotate on the threads.

However whoever accused me of not "loving" my Taks is right. I don't
love my gear. It's just tools to help me get a decent image and nothing
more. I love my cats but not my hardware.

Wildman

12-20-2008, 09:11 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Yes it's the most practical way to go. If I have to work fast I have K mounts that are very close to the 28mm (FA35) and the 105mm (Sigma 105 macro) so it's no big deal.

It was confusing because no one was making the distinction between adapting the lens to the camera or the camera to the lens so I wasn't sure I was being understood correctly.
Wildman
Sounds reasonable to me.

You might want to check with Al foil to see if shorting the contacts helps with functionality; if so maybe strategically sand some paint off the lens base. It is nice to have correct metering & focus trapping.

Dave

PS I should have made a clear distinction between adapting lens to camera or camera to lens.
12-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
However whoever accused me of not "loving" my Taks is right. I don't
love my gear. It's just tools to help me get a decent image and nothing
more. I love my cats but not my hardware.

Wildman

That's what they all say - in the beginning....

12-20-2008, 11:16 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
That's what they all say - in the beginning
Man, you are smitten!

FWIW, since I got my SMC Tak 55/1.8 and S-M-C Tak 135/3.5 I have not had a K mount lens on my camera. Heh, maybe I should glue the adapter into the K mount?

Richard

12-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Seeing as it's show and tell time...

... the Tak 28, 55 and 105 next to the Sigma 105 macro for comparison.
Also I got a set of Vivitar extension tubes - 35, 20 and 12mm.
All the glass looks pristine as far as I can tell.

Last edited by wildman; 12-26-2008 at 01:00 PM.
12-20-2008, 06:14 PM   #36
Veteran Member

However whoever accused me of not "loving" my Taks is right. I don't love my gear. It's just tools to help me get a decent image and nothing more. I love my cats but not my hardware.
I love my gear WAAAAAY more than I love cats. In fact I HATE cats... Still love the gear.

The gear will out-live the cats too.

Finally, take care of the Taks and you can resell them for a tidy profit when the day comes. Try that with a cat. Sometimes you can't give those things away.
12-20-2008, 07:32 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are 2 Roxsen adapters sold on ebay, one is more expensive but promises to preserve infinity focus. and it does.

12-20-2008, 07:46 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I have to share similar thoughts like Jsherman9999 and Peter as long time advocates on the use of genuine adapters. I just sold two used copies to other forum members. But I do occasionally mount altered 3rd party adapters with both locking plate and screw removed as they are likely to jam your K bodies when the locking plate get worn out and fall out while mounted on your camera. I do the conversion on a case by case basis as not all lens are suitable for the conversion and risk are involved.

For genuine adapter, you always mount on body first and there is no fuss in mounting and dismounting as you can dismount with your own hand. No other tool is required.

I have newer posts on M42 adapters:

Last edited by hinman; 12-21-2008 at 08:18 AM.
12-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
For genuine adapter, you always mount on body first and there is no fuss in mounting and dismounting as you can dismount with your own hand. No other tool is required.
Yes I'm satisfied that using the Pentax body adapter is the best option I have.

But I'm surprised that no third party manufacturer has come up with a simple no hassle adapter that allows for the permanent conversion from M42 to K mount on the back of the lens.

The advantages over a temporary body converter seems very obvious to me. After all most of us who have M42 lens' have K mounts also and using a temporary body adapter seems like a kludge job to me.

Perhaps there are technical issues I don't understand.

Wildman
12-21-2008, 10:48 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
...But I'm surprised that no third party manufacturer has come up with a simple no hassle adapter that allows for the permanent conversion from M42 to K mount on the back of the lens...
Once you get your adapter, you will see why things are the way they are.

Steve
12-22-2008, 04:11 AM   #41
Veteran Member

But I'm surprised that no third party manufacturer has come up with a simple no hassle adapter that allows for the permanent conversion from M42 to K mount on the back of the lens.

The advantages over a temporary body converter seems very obvious to me. After all most of us who have M42 lens' have K mounts also and using a temporary body adapter seems like a kludge job to me.

Perhaps there are technical issues I don't understand.
It's a very simple reason. The adapter sits flush with the lens mount. Not a problem for the K-mount lugs, but there is no room for any attached portion to come out and interact with the lens locking pin on the body.

Contrary to what some people might think, I do own a few K-mount lenses. But 99% of the time my adapter remains in the camera and I just switch from one Takumar to another. When I'm using Takumars, that's generally all I have in my bag. When I'm using K-mounts, those are all that are in the bag. I'm sufficiently supplied on both that I have no real reason to tote around a mix of M42 and K-mount.

I don't view the adapter as something I attach to allow the use of Takumars. I view it as something I remove to allow the use of K-mounts.
12-22-2008, 08:52 AM   #42
Inactive Account

The advantages over a temporary body converter seems very obvious to me. After all most of us who have M42 lens' have K mounts also and using a temporary body adapter seems like a kludge job to me. ...

Wildman
As others have pointed out there is no material on a practical adapter available to engage the locking pin on the body's K-mount. That's why putting a slot or hole in the m42's rim is sometimes done to avoid over-rotating the lens when mounting it and/or having the lens fall off the camera while using it.

If one doesn't want to modify the M42 lens at all but does want to keep an adapter on it, it is practical to bend the end of an adapter flange to prevent over-rotation (I bent the flange near the red dot). While that prevents over-rotation it does not lock the lens to the camera.

I tried it to be sure it works (but won't go that direction myself because I want the lens locked to the camera.)

I'm sympathetic with those who prefer not to modify things. However, for me, providing for electrical contact and adding adapters to all my m42 lenses has been a good thing.

Dave
01-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Here are useful modifications to add a K-mount adapter to an M-42 lens:

1) The adpater's spring clip was removed (broken off) to avoid adapter's locking to the camera.
2) A notch was cut into the lens' base to lock the lens in place on the camera (optional & easy do do with a file).
3) Paint was sanded off the lens base to allow electrical contact for exposure measurement. (some use aluminum foil.)

The adapter was purchased from Fotodiox.com for about $13 as I recall. I've done this to 3ea. M42 lenses. These modifications in effect turn the M42 lens into a K-mount manual lens. This adapter focuses to infinity. Avoid any adapter with a large flange which will prevent the lens from seating all the way & prevent infinity focus.
Does it matter where you file the notch? Is it relative to any specific point on the lens or on the adapter? I'm tired of not having my lenses click in place unless i mount the adapter to the camera first...
01-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #44
Inactive Account

It matters where you cut the notch.

First look at the camera side of the lens mount & use a pencil or magic marker to make a mark extending outward from the locking pin. Then mount the lens' and mark the lens base at the locking pin's location. That's where you put the notch.

Usually when the lens clicks into place you'd want the f-stop indicator at the top.

Dave
01-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #45
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
Does it matter where you file the notch? Is it relative to any specific point on the lens or on the adapter? I'm tired of not having my lenses click in place unless i mount the adapter to the camera first...
whats the difference though? the adapter locks in place with the clip, not the K mount lens lock. if you attach the adapter to the lens and then attach the lens to camera you are still doing the same as attaching the adapter to camera and screwing in the lens. I (for various reasons) do not condone notching an m42 lens. the last thing we need IMO is thousands of poorly filed and notched Takumars out there..... especially when its done by people who usually only rarely use Takumars. its a disturbing thing to do and not worth it IMO if you only use Takumars from time to time.

but if you insist, you need to notch it so that it lines up with the lock pin on the K mount. I wouldn't do this though until you have a genuine Pentax adapter, as I don't know if that will have a difference. and if you do not notch it correctly (look at the notch on the back of a K mount lens) it might not stay locked anyway and you risk the now marred lens falling off.

I suggest either dealing with the adapter or use more Takumars so it isnt an issue unscrewing the lens and leaving the adapter mounted on the camera. and their is nothing wrong with using more Takumars.