Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2022, 05:00 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Lens Recommendations For Close-Up Portraiture.

Now I notice there are comments and recommendations offered on this subject however, they are quite old and there have been Quantum Leap advancements in technology

since as far back as 13 years. I am aware there are many third party offerings out there however, I am focused on Pentax exclusively for high IQ. I am currently using a Pentax k-7

and will consider an upgrade if I have to.

A great many thnx for all suggestions and helpful hints.

Tonytee

07-30-2022, 05:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't really do much portraiture, so I'm not really qualified for this question (although I have ideas), but what lenses do you currently have? That might help with suggestions.
07-30-2022, 05:23 PM - 2 Likes   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

For portrait, the FA77mm f1.8 Ltd is a fantastic lens. I own a K-7, K-3 and K-3ii, and I continue to use the K-7 with high-grade lens like the FA77mm.
The FA7mm is much loved in this Forum and was once called the "best (autofocus) lens that money can buy" across all brands : sm-02-05-02 - Luminous Landscape.
There is no doubt that newer dSLR outperforms the K-7, and that the K-7 is not great at high ISO (ISO 800 and above) IMHO. But, at low ISO, I continue to love the K-7 rendering, especially with the FA77mm.
I hope that the comment may help
07-30-2022, 05:28 PM   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
using a Pentax k-7
50mm on aps-c at minimum focus distance will make for a nice tight head shot.
FA 50mm f/1.4 or F 50mm f/1.7 or DA 50mm f/1.8

07-30-2022, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really like the DA* 55mm f1.4. I think this lens has a distinct image quality that I wasn't getting from older 50 or 55mm lenses. I bought an older used one and was willing to accept that one day, the SDM would die. Well, not yet, but it makes the lens a gamble, especially if you really want AF with your image quality.
07-30-2022, 05:50 PM - 15 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any good 35 to 100 mm lens will give you the results you want. Take a look at this picture my father took in 1961 (over 60 years ago). The camera was a Practika IV and the lens was a simple 50mm (four glass) Tessar. I think folks put far too much weight on the equipment rather than the lighting and artistic eye.

Last edited by Adam; 07-30-2022 at 06:36 PM.
07-30-2022, 06:05 PM - 6 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any good 50 mm lens should work wonders on an APSC sensor.

K20 + FA 50 mm f/1.4 (K20 and K7 share the same 14,5 Mpx sensor)

07-30-2022, 06:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Any good 35 to 100 mm lens will give you the results you want. Take a look at this picture my father took in 1961 (over 60 years ago). The camera was a Practika IV and the lens was a simple 50mm (four glass) Tessar. I think folks put far too much weight on the equipment rather than the lighting and artistic eye.
Man, that's a great shot, and reminds me how I used to have a strong want for a proper Tessar for the contrast stopped down and general way that things look so "3D" with them.

To the OP, I would go looking for a Sigma 24mm EX DG or Sigma 28mm EX DG. They focus quite close and I really like using them on all of my cameras both crop and full-frame.

Last edited by Adam; 07-30-2022 at 06:37 PM.
07-30-2022, 06:43 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I don't really do much portraiture, so I'm not really qualified for this question (although I have ideas), but what lenses do you currently have? That might help with suggestions.
Hello ramseybuckeye,

I currently have only two Pentax OEM lenses. 1. Pentax-M 50mm F/1.7, 2. SMC Takumar F 70~210mm. I do have six third party lenses and only one of them is prime, the

Sears 135mm f/2.8 with Macro ability. Not sure it would be any good for what I aim to do. Thnx for the question. Tony
07-30-2022, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another suggestion : HD DA 55-300 mm f/4-5.8 ED WR on an APSC sensor

Picture taken with a K5 with built-in flash. Lens is light, inexpensive, has a large focal range and focuses very close.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-30-2022, 07:19 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m fond of the DA 40 for close intimate shots:

IMGP4257_DxO by -vanya_42nd-

IMGP4272_DxO by -vanya_42nd-

IMGP0093 by -vanya_42nd-
07-30-2022, 09:48 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
For portrait, the FA77mm f1.8 Ltd is a fantastic lens. I own a K-7, K-3 and K-3ii, and I continue to use the K-7 with high-grade lens like the FA77mm.
The FA7mm is much loved in this Forum and was once called the "best (autofocus) lens that money can buy" across all brands : sm-02-05-02 - Luminous Landscape.
There is no doubt that newer dSLR outperforms the K-7, and that the K-7 is not great at high ISO (ISO 800 and above) IMHO. But, at low ISO, I continue to love the K-7 rendering, especially with the FA77mm.
I hope that the comment may help
One excellent comment. I will certainly take it under advisement. Thanks very much.

Tony
07-31-2022, 01:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I agree with most comments. Wide angle lenses, however, will introduce perspective distortion when it comes to tight closeup shots. The range for 35mm or FF shooting in terms of recommended good perspective are between around 60-120mm or so, which with APS-C translates into the 40mm, 50mm- through the 77mm Ltd. Longer starts to flatten out the features for tight closeups (maybe better for those with long noses).

Although with APS-C, a good but moderate-costing 50mm lens becomes an effective poor man's 77mm Ltd for portraits, I nonetheless agree with hoc regarding the FA 77mm Ltd being outstanding for portraits, whether used with APS-C or FF. This is one special lens, and it is remarkably small and less intimidating for its FL and fast aperture, also providing wonderful bokeh for a beautiful background blur. The latest version having the HD coatings is the way to go for all-around best performance. This lens has many uses for outstanding results.
07-31-2022, 05:46 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a lot of different lenses for portraits. I mentioned the DA 40 specifically because the impression I got was that the request was for a lens that would allow the photographer to be close to the subject - but that could be a misread. The DA 40 has a short working distance when used for portraits and is small and unassuming. It doesn’t make subjects nervous. But there’s plenty to love about many other lenses for portraits work:

F50/1.7
IMGP9089_DxO by -vanya_42nd-

DA 18-135
IMGP8215_DxO by -vanya_42nd-

DA 50-135
IMGP59252_DxO by -vanya_42nd-

FA 77
IMGP3162_DxO by -vanya_42nd-

DA 200
IMGP0640-pp by -vanya_42nd-

All shots on apsc in this set.

---------- Post added 07-31-22 at 08:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Now I notice there are comments and recommendations offered on this subject however, they are quite old and there have been Quantum Leap advancements in technology

since as far back as 13 years. I am aware there are many third party offerings out there however, I am focused on Pentax exclusively for high IQ. I am currently using a Pentax k-7

and will consider an upgrade if I have to.

A great many thnx for all suggestions and helpful hints.

Tonytee
I don’t think the lenses I use have changed dramatically for portraits in the 13 years you mention. Too much is made of technology and too little of technique. Several shots I posted have subtle flash lighting added, several don’t. Using more complex lighting isn’t my style but I can safely say that’s more likely to yield excellence than special lenses. That’s not to suggest there’s nothing remarkable about some of these lenses. The best lenses are easier to get great results from - at least that’s how it feels. It’s also possible that the best lenses are those you enjoy shooting with, and expectation bias can play a role here.
07-31-2022, 06:25 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I dunno... this is tricky... there are just too many options...

I think it's going to come down to what you expect to have in terms of lighting (and what aperture you can use as a result) and what you mean my "close up".

I have a Rokinon 85mm f1.4 lens that does very nice portraits, for example, but its minimum focus distance is too far for closely cropped portraits on full frame... though it may be fine on APS-C, but you will still need to step back quite a way.

On the other hand, I really like the 50mm f1.7 lenses on APS-C. Very good results very inexpensively.

Usually I'll use the original DA*16-50 for portraits where I don't know what I'll have for lighting or distance to subject. Nice and sharp, plenty fast, and it worked very well with my K10, so it should be fine on your K7. That and they can be had inexpensively used (and converted to screwdrive focus if needed). I've had very good luck with mine, and it excels on my KP.

-Eric