Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2022, 11:26 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Billking Quote
Yep

You don't want to go wider than 50mm, even on APSC, or you will get unflattering distortions on head and shoulder portraiture.

The FA 77mm Ltd is hard to go past for protraits on either APSC or FF.
I respectfully point you to my earlier post using the da 40:

Pentax Lens Recommendations For Close-Up Portraiture. - PentaxForums.com

I really can’t agree as I also have shots made with the fa 31. The crop factor impacts the distance to the subject which changes the impact of perspective distortion. If that wasn’t the case small sensor cameras like the Q wouldn’t work.

08-01-2022, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #32

I agree with the idea that, for APS-C format, 50 to 85mm is a good range of lengths for closeup portraits, specially of women. Men closeup portraits can be shot with lengths between 35 and 40mm with good results. About apertures, anything f2.0 or wider is good as long as the focus to the most important feature (usually, the eyes) is accurate. For most of us still using the starter kit zoom lens with f3.5 or narrower aperture, practicing people closeups between 35 and 55mm is a starting alternative, as long as we are willing to put up with a brighter light (natural or artificial) or higher ISO (400 and up).
08-01-2022, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I respectfully point you to my earlier post using the da 40:
I think his statement of course pertains more for FF use. On APS-C, the equivalent FOV is more like a 60mm lens on FF. The perspective difference here between a 50mm lens and the 40mm lens is there but would be subtle and slight. The wider one goes from there, the more it will be true, the tighter the shot is. I see your point regarding the 40mm, as one can get more background into the frame. This is the reason I have liked the 40mm FL over 50mm even with 35mm film or a FF DSLR, for general usage. However, with APS-C I find the 50mm FL has more usefulness than it does on FF, as then the FOV is as a fast moderate tele, when one wants a more tele effect than the 40mm, along with the more shallow DOF the 50mm and faster aperture can bring. Each has its own advantage.
08-02-2022, 02:36 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't understand what you mean by close up portraiture, I assume you mean filling the frame with the head and face, not the distance between you and the subject..

The FA 77mm is the best of the bunch on FF or APS-C. THis example is not a portrait, but the detail is amazing.

The DA 40mm LTD or the DA 40mm XS will give you great portraits on APS-C.

The 135mm lens you mentioned would probably also do a good job. This was my TakBay 135mm, but you can get an idea.

08-02-2022, 04:32 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I think his statement of course pertains more for FF use.
Except he specifically said, “even on apsc”.
08-02-2022, 05:44 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I think his statement of course pertains more for FF use. On APS-C, the equivalent FOV is more like a 60mm lens on FF. The perspective difference here between a 50mm lens and the 40mm lens is there but would be subtle and slight. The wider one goes from there, the more it will be true, the tighter the shot is. I see your point regarding the 40mm, as one can get more background into the frame. This is the reason I have liked the 40mm FL over 50mm even with 35mm film or a FF DSLR, for general usage. However, with APS-C I find the 50mm FL has more usefulness than it does on FF, as then the FOV is as a fast moderate tele, when one wants a more tele effect than the 40mm, along with the more shallow DOF the 50mm and faster aperture can bring. Each has its own advantage.
The Sigma Art 35 is a favorite lens for a couple of my Sony full-frame friends doing model shoots. Can't argue with the good results they post up. On APS-C I don't recall ever going wider than 28 at one, except for the occasional environmental or artistic portrait. I generally hang between 30 (Sigma Art 30, used to be Art 35) and 85 (DFA85) for my crop cameras, and between 50mm (DFA50) and 200 (DA*200 or DFA70-200) on the K1.
08-02-2022, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I don't understand what you mean by close up portraiture, I assume you mean filling the frame with the head and face, not the distance between you and the subject..

The FA 77mm is the best of the bunch on FF or APS-C. THis example is not a portrait, but the detail is amazing.

The DA 40mm LTD or the DA 40mm XS will give you great portraits on APS-C.

The 135mm lens you mentioned would probably also do a good job. This was my TakBay 135mm, but you can get an idea.

Hello Rob,
And many thanks for the detail explanation with awesome examples. Closer to what I am wanting is the third photo down. I like the sharpness, color rendition and of course the exposure level. These are qualities I believe only a great lens can offer, so again I am leaning toward the 135mm. Also, I should mention that this is all trial and error
for me, so if the 135mm does not produce what I have in mind, I certainly will consider other options. God knows, there certainly are enough of them to keep my empty head
spinning for some time.

Regards,

Tony