Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2022, 07:10 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New DFA21 2.4 review

Searching Pentax in youtube, I stumbled on a review of the DFA21 , with some sample shots. Interesting.

08-03-2022, 07:18 AM   #2
Unregistered User

Yes, I saw this earlier whilst looking for anything to do with limited lenses. I've just bought a DA 20-40 ltd and a mint used SMC 15mm ltd for my KP (I also have the 21mm ltd) so even though this looks like a lovely lens, I can't warrant the expense of it (especially as my K1 never leaves the house).

Last edited by Unregistered User; 08-03-2022 at 10:31 AM.
08-03-2022, 07:27 AM   #3
Closed Account

The images start at the 13 minute mark for anyone interested.
08-03-2022, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #4
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
The images start at the 13 minute mark for anyone interested.
And they are a bit uninteresting...they don't make me think "wow".

08-03-2022, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
When sites like DPR do their in-depth reviews with photo samples I've rarely seen anything in them that looks "impressive". Looking at a smallish JPEG on a random computer screen simply is not going to offer any real idea of what you'll see for yourself using the lens on your camera. So we go by "the reviewer says it's great, just trust 'em" because those JPEG photos on a social sharing site or blog offer little useful evidence. There are exceptions, particularly if you can click to get full-size images so you can move around one to see details and nuances. In general, that's not what we're offered.

So yeah I agree with you, sample photos are not all that helpful. Those larger images posted here in the DFA21 thread are more indicative of what the lens is capable of. FWIW I watched that video the day he posted it. He likes the DFA21. But what was a more important point for me was he's buying lenses he wants [B]now[/B], fully anticipating the prices will be going up significantly in the very near future. He may be right. if you think you want this lens but waiting for prices to go down they may not, at least not by much even "on-sale". Volumes aren't what they used to be for any camera or lens and it's tougher to make the argument "sell it cheap and make it up on numbers".

Anyway, that's a discussion for a different thread, so staying on topic.
What's encouraging about the DFA21 is I've yet to see a user review that doesn't praise the image results. Specs aren't telling the story with this one. I'm inclined to "just trust 'em" on this lens.

Last edited by gatorguy; 08-03-2022 at 09:38 AM.
08-03-2022, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
That is probably due to the images themselves, they are a bit like "can't see the forest for the trees anymore".
08-03-2022, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #7
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
That is probably due to the images themselves, they are a bit like "can't see the forest for the trees anymore".
Yes, that's what I meant - it isn't the lens, it is how it was used.
*And don't get me wrong...I would love to own this lens!

Last edited by Unregistered User; 08-03-2022 at 11:03 PM.
08-03-2022, 04:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saved up for one, as its a focal length I really craved and nothing else was working out for me (e.g. DFA15-30 was just too big / heavy given that I walk with my gear a lot and hard to get a good FA20), so that probably makes me nuts. Its size is still a little disappointingly big but otherwise its a stellar lens and I'm very happy with it.
My first shots have been boring too, as it takes a while to get in tune with this lens (I still need to spend more time with it yet!). Its party trick is very close up wide open shots where it renders particularly nicely.
08-03-2022, 07:03 PM - 9 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing I hear a lot are complaints about how much this lens costs - yes, it is expensive considering it is almost the same price as the more versatile and optically better corrected D-FA50mm f/1.4. However the expense is offset from the experience of working with this lens, which has been nothing but a joy for me. The expansive FOV and close focus capability it provides brings new possibilities to the table that weren't really feasible with previous offerings in this focal length class.

Pentax K-1 D-FA21mm f/2.4 @ f/16 ISO 800 1/30th

Pentax K-1 D-FA21mm f/2.4 @ f/2.8

Pentax K-1 D-FA21mm f/2.4@ f/2.4

Pentax K-1 D-FA21mm f/2.4@ f/11
08-03-2022, 08:18 PM   #10
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
One thing I hear a lot are complaints about how much this lens costs - yes, it is expensive considering it is almost the same price as the more versatile and optically better corrected D-FA50mm f/1.4. However the expense is offset from the experience of working with this lens, which has been nothing but a joy for me. The expansive FOV and close focus capability it provides brings new possibilities to the table that weren't really feasible with previous offerings in this focal length class.
Many thanks for supplying those images in comparison to the sub-par examples on that video.
08-03-2022, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote

Pentax K-1 D-FA21mm f/2.4 @ f/16 ISO 800 1/30th

Pentax K-1 D-FA21mm f/2.4 @ f/2.8

Pentax K-1 D-FA21mm f/2.4@ f/2.4

Pentax K-1 D-FA21mm f/2.4@ f/11
Same experience on my side.

Our thread with images and description of some properties: Pentax-D FA 21mm f/2.4 Limited Club - PentaxForums.com
08-03-2022, 11:33 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The images in the video are mostly comparisons between the old FA20 and the DFA21. While they may not be the most exciting, they serve the purpose of demonstrating the improvements offered by the new lens. Having both lenses myself, I can vouch for the improvements. Incidentally, Ed is a member here, and quite used to getting some adverse comments for his views - mostly unjustified, in my opinion, but then everyone’s got an opinion.
08-03-2022, 11:59 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Ed is a member here, and quite used to getting some adverse comments for his views
I've copped a lot of flak over some of my lens reviews...it comes with the territory.
08-04-2022, 12:55 AM   #14
Unregistered User

If the above are directed at my saying I didn't find the photos used for demonstration purposes very interesting, so be it.
I have nothing against Ed or his views and I have been on forums long enough to know that "disagreements" can quickly take a turn for the worse, so I apologise if anyone did not like my reaction to the photographs that were used for demonstration purposes in the video.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 08-04-2022 at 01:25 AM.
08-04-2022, 02:33 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a lens that I really want. I have to decide if I'm willing to sell my 15-30 to get it. I probably should. I just don't use that lens much, simply because it is such a brick to lug around and I know I would use this one more.

As far as photos in reviews go, I really don't think the point is to "wow" the reader/viewer but rather to give a solid idea of strengths and weaknesses. You can make any lens look good if you are a good photographer and work hard with post processing. Part of being a good photographer is figuring out what your lens's weaknesses are and avoiding those situations that bring those out -- it's a lot easier with some lenses than others.