Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
08-08-2022, 08:13 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, you in the back... Digitalis right?

So are you getting the same excellent renders on both crop and full-frame? That wasn't my experience with the FA31. It shined on the K1.

08-08-2022, 08:27 AM - 4 Likes   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
So are you getting the same excellent renders on both crop and full-frame? That wasn't my experience with the FA31. It shined on the K1.
I think the major distinction that can be made between the FA31 on crop and the DFA21 on crop is the close focus distance on the FA31 isn't quite close enough for common subjects.

The DFA21 focuses absurdly close for such a wide lens, and the image quality is superb.

Pentax KP D-FA21mm f/2.4 ED ASPH Limited @ f/2.4

The DFA21 suits the ergonomics of the KP and even without the grip, it fits in the hand comfortably without being front-heavy. The DFA21 on APS-C provides a FOV that is basically identical to the FA31 on the K-1: albeit with a drastically closer focus limit.

Pentax KP - D-FA21 1/320th ISO 800 @ f/8

100% unedited crop.
08-08-2022, 08:31 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The DFA21 focuses absurdly close
I was looking at lenses capable of reproducing the same look by stitching, and I think only the DA 35 limited macro would be able to focus that close, none of the other Pentax lenses can focus that close. And it looks like Canon copied Pentax, as they recently released a 24mm RF prime that can produce image similar to what the Pentax DFA21 can produce.
08-08-2022, 08:36 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I too have the 15-30 and it's given me some of my favorite images. So I do use it somewhat often, but only on the K1 which I don't carry as much as I once did with the K3III now in the kit. On the K3III it's a different lens.

Like you I keep waffling on the DFA21 and have been thinking I would should do the same if I do, sell the 15-30. But gosh the more I look the more it seems like the two lenses have subtle but clear differences in rendering and intent.

Has anyone got significant time with the new 21 on a crop camera?
I don't know what significant is. I used the lens more on the K-1 but also on the KP.

On the KP slightly front heavy compared to by example the DA15Ltd. Hold it like an analog SLR with lens and there's simply no problem. Great image quality. Wonderful ergonomics and feel. Flexible in usage.

I know that it may sound strange since it's an ultra wide angle lens but it works:

Add the DA TC1.4 and you have an optical f3.5/29.4mm lens that has an angle of view like 43mm@FF. Also works for the K-1 in FF mode with a little bit more vignetting but no black corners. Not super fast but IMO very good image quality too.

KP | DFA21Ltd. | ISO500 | f6.3 | 1/50s

KP | DFA21Ltd. | ISO100 | f2.5 | 1/500s

KP | DFA21Ltd. | ISO100 | f2.8 | 1/250s

Last edited by acoufap; 08-08-2022 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Two images added.
08-08-2022, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The DFA21 focuses absurdly close for such a wide lens, and the image quality is superb
Absolutely! In looking at your fine examples, along with those apples and other fine shots by acoufap as well as others, the first thing that occurs to me is- how many other ultra-wide lenses out there can do THIS? And with such quality! For me it has already been a very satisfying purchase.

I agree that it is nice to have this top-quality, and exceptionally capable ultra-wide faster prime lens, AND also an ultra WA zoom lens as well. Of course for doing what zoom lenses can do. In my case, I still have my old Tokina 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 (actually teated as 19mm) of over 20 years, which has been great on my K-1 II. About the same range as the Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4 on APS-C. A very sharp zoom lens having few quirks- very useful, also compact. Of course, not with the unique capabilities nor the fine rendering of my new DFA 21mm, which I also use when needing its larger apertures- which is often. Between these two, I am amazed at what I can do in the WA realm with my K-1 II, and with incredible quality, yet without carrying much weight! Both balance every well on my K-1 II. I am very pleased. As to the DFA 21mm Ltd, as they would say at OpticaLimits: "Highly Recommended!!"
08-08-2022, 03:28 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Absolutely! In looking at your fine examples, along with those apples and other fine shots by acoufap as well as others, the first thing that occurs to me is- how many other ultra-wide lenses out there can do THIS?
NIKKOR Z 20mm f/1.8 S - 0,2 m
Sony FE 20mm F1.8 G - 0.18 m
Sigma 20mm F2 DG DN | C - 0.22 m
ZEISS Loxia 2.8/21 - 0.25m

HD PENTAX-D FA 21mmF2.4ED Limited DC WR - 0.18m

So the DFA21 focuses closer than most similar lenses but only by a small amount.
08-09-2022, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did not mean to imply the Pentax DFA 21mm lens stands alone regarding such close focus capability, as I have not researched all such lenses, but from what I have seen- this is uncommon. Then adding its HD and protective coatings, fast and quiet AF, fine IQ, in a relatively compact, well-made body incorporating WR, taken all together it becomes yet more uncommon.

09-13-2022, 11:03 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
New lens geek review. Similar in style to the chinese review previously posted.

in Japanese: ?????????HD PENTAX-D FA 21mmF2.4ED Limited DC WR -??099 - LENS Review
translated (google): https://lensreview.xyz/hd-pentax-d-fa-21mmf2-4ed-limited-dc-wr/
QuoteOriginally posted by lensreview.xyz:
Lens design is not a science, but an aesthetic, so the underlying philosophy and ideas determine its quality.
PENTAX's Limited lenses aim to be the ultimate in manufacturing, seeking the best solution for image
creation while valuing aesthetics, texture, appearance, and gestures.
However, if this gorgeous lens, which seems to have forgotten its profit, becomes "very popular", I am
worried that PENTAX's camera business will fall into the red.
my bold

Again the review seems awestruck by the "extravagant" optical formula and the amount of expensive special glass. Another gem from the review is.
QuoteOriginally posted by lensreview.xyz:
I vaguely noticed, but I can easily understand that " the organization called PENTAX does not aim to
make a profit ."
The reviewer apparently thinks the lens is underpriced, considering that price that is quite something...

The site has similar reviews of lots of other lenses including recent Nikon Z and Sigma DG DN "i" lenses.
09-19-2022, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The reviewer apparently thinks the lens is underpriced, considering that price that is quite something.
I think the price point for this lens is well placed, especially considering the optical performance of the lens.
The somewhat ephemeral design philosophy behind the development and design of this lens makes it thoroughly deserving of the Limited designation.

The close focus ability brings new possibilities to the table that simply weren't possible with earlier UWA offerings in K mount:

Pentax K-1 DFA21mm f/2.4 ED ASPH Limited @ f/2.4 ISO 100 1/500th

It is impressively sharp even in the corners @ f/2.4

Pentax K-1 DFA21mm f/2.4 ED ASPH Limited @ f/2.4 - Light USM used A=90 T=0 R=0.8

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-25-2022 at 04:15 AM.