Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i bought another lens?!?

OK, which one of you with LBA sneezed on me?

After a long bit of stability with my current gaggle of glass (35ltd for walkabout/macro, 77ltd for portrait, 16-45 if I need flexible short and 50-135* for flexible long, though the zooms rarely are on the K20d), for some reason I got cranky at my 35ltd and decided that I wanted something faster and with a more direct magnification relative to what I see through the viewfinder. So I go to my local shop and pick up a 43ltd.

Then I figure that I should get the g/f a dSLR for xmas (I gave her my old DLux3 a few months ago for her b-day). K200d should be perfect for her, and she can borrow my lenses, and in fact I'll give her the 16-45 as she likes zooms. So while I'm ordering the K200d from Adorama, of course I figure that I need something wider than the 43. So somehow a 31ltd ended up in my cart before checkout. Arrgh...

OK, I swear I'm done. Until the 15ltd - I really do need that one. Then I can go without a wide zoom. No, really...

12-19-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Same one who caught me, I guess, although, being on the other side of the world, the effect was lessened (inverse square law).

77/1.8 ltd from Henry's, best price in USD, by far, and caught at the best exchange rate in a while. Will make a nice complement to the 31/1.8 ltd in the bag.

LBA assuaged for the moment...
12-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

FA 35 f/2 from the marketplace, and K 55 f2 & SMC Tak 55 f/2 from Craigslist (for cheap).

I really wanted a fast D-normal for my K-M to wear around the house and that my wife can reach for to shoot the little guy, so I "needed" that FA 35.

(didn't want my DA 35 limited to stay on the body around the house, try to keep my limiteds in their pouches when not being shot by me.)

Then the two 55's were "needed" to test against my wonderful Super Tak 55 f/2.

What did the Stones say? "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need."

So that's how to think about it.

12-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a 12 step program for this.

Just let me go find the instructions. I have them filed somewhere. I promise I'll come back and post the steps....

12-19-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's the planets I swear! I was very happy and thought that LBA was finally in remission. Then yesterday as I was waiting to hear about a widget needed in NYC but warehoused in NE, I thought, "what the hey, I wonder what KEH has got?" Lo and behold, a Sigma 180 macro! But I don't need another macro, I've already got three! But it's a 180! and less than .67 of the "new" price! And I won't have to pay sales tax! But I've already got a 55-200 and a 70-210! But its a macro!
It's a good thing I was at work or I might have gotten into a screaming argument with myself. Needless to say I'm now the new ower of a Sigma 180mm F3.5 macro.
Oh btw, they couldn't find the widget in NE either. So who cares if a subway train is out-of-service for at least the weekend, I've got a new-to-me 180 macro!

NaCl(LBA? what LBA?)H2O
12-19-2008, 07:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
It's the planets I swear! I was very happy and thought that LBA was finally in remission. Then yesterday as I was waiting to hear about a widget needed in NYC but warehoused in NE, I thought, "what the hey, I wonder what KEH has got?" Lo and behold, a Sigma 180 macro! But I don't need another macro, I've already got three! But it's a 180! and less than .67 of the "new" price! And I won't have to pay sales tax! But I've already got a 55-200 and a 70-210! But its a macro!
It's a good thing I was at work or I might have gotten into a screaming argument with myself. Needless to say I'm now the new ower of a Sigma 180mm F3.5 macro.
Oh btw, they couldn't find the widget in NE either. So who cares if a subway train is out-of-service for at least the weekend, I've got a new-to-me 180 macro!

NaCl(LBA? what LBA?)H2O

Ooooohh, I bet that's a sweet lens...

12-19-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

now I dont feel so bad about buying a the 24 and the 55-300 off the marketplace in one week. course still looking at lenses have been thinking about pulling the trigger on the tamron 10-24 as well to finish off the week of LBA
12-19-2008, 08:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm somewhat on the fence about the 43, and can always return the 31 if it doesn't float my boat. I did have a 31 awhile back but it was a rare less-than-stellar version.

I have to resist the temptation to pixel peep. The first couple shots with the 43 were actual photos and they were very nice. Then I started doing some "test shots" and I noticed softness when it is wide open and a some minor AF issues. Of course that then leads me down the "I should just go FF" which then leads to the, "hell, I might as well go medium format" which then leads to, "I need medication."

And the most dangerous part is when you talk yourself into buying a whole new system (say $3K for an a900, then about $5K for glass), then come to your senses, all the sudden you've "saved" all that money, so buying one more lens is actually saving money!

When I take my own advice and just shoot what I want to shoot, everything is fine. I also have to keep realizing that there is more to this than just raw performance. And it is ok to have some overlap in my system (like 31/35/43 primes). Different lenses draw different (to borrow from Sean Reid) and the 35ltd and 43ltd have very different looks. The trick is having enough patience to work with the tools and find the sweet spots, then apply accordingly.

Hmm....maybe I need the 21 while waiting for the 15 to be released

12-19-2008, 08:28 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Started out with the "kit" DA 18-55 and the DA 50-200.
NEEDED more of a reach, so I bought an off brand 75-300 from a friend. Manual focus, but a good lens.
Then I got the bug for the FA 50 f1.4............... another friend offered me a SMC-A 50 f1.7 plus a fully manual 28 f2.8, plus assorted filters, all for $100......... i grabbed them!
The 50 is obviously not A/F, but a great lens none the less.
Now another friend has loaned me a Sigma 175-500 APO! I haven't used it much, but I can hear it calling me!
And I KNOW I need a fast mid-range tele-photo, around the 80 to 135 range...........

IS there a cure for LBA???
12-20-2008, 07:09 AM   #10
krs
Site Supporter

Must be in the air...

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a Sigma 28-70m F2.8, and yesterday bought the Tamron 70-200 f2.8.

Candidate for step 1 of the LBA 12 step program....
1. Don't look?
12-20-2008, 09:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
77/1.8 ltd from Henry's, best price in USD, by far.
I took advantage of this one a month ago. Paid $560 shippped. But then I had to add the K20D from Cameta that was only $530 shipped after MS cashback and ebay coupon.
Its hard to control LBA when you see prices like this. I can justify though with the exchanges I did to raise the money. I'm only out of pocket a couple hundred for a new camera and lens.
12-20-2008, 11:39 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
I took advantage of this one a month ago. Paid $560 shippped. But then I had to add the K20D from Cameta that was only $530 shipped after MS cashback and ebay coupon.
Its hard to control LBA when you see prices like this. I can justify though with the exchanges I did to raise the money. I'm only out of pocket a couple hundred for a new camera and lens.
AHHHH, the good ol' days when the MS cashback was going strong.... the more you spent, the more you saved I keep saying that I was going to buy these lenses eventually anyway so may as well get them while the deals were available, but now I've got a silly amount of glass. But they are all great tools and I feel lucky to be able to have them