Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2022, 07:11 AM   #1

Smc 1:2.8 30mm stuck ring when cleaning.

So I recently bought this lens for 20ish usd. It needs cleaning and thought Iíd give it a go as I wanted a prime around this focal length.
While using a variety of English and Japanese sites I have manage to open it up and clean all but one spot. There is a ring over the front element on the front assembly group of elements that wonít move. Basically you remove the ring with the lensí numbers on it and then the front element assembly from the larger lens body. The ring the holds the front element ( there are at least 2 if not 3 glass elements in this assembly. Iím taking. About the most front larger one) wonít budge. This isnít good as this is the one place that is dirty. I think it is fungus. Just a little but itís there.
No matter what I try it wonít move. Bare hands managed only to loosen the rear element in this assembly. Rubber band and rubber gloves only hurt my hands. I tried even WD-40 (not sure if this was good but if I canít clean it I canít use it anyways). It wonít move. I am turning it lefty loose-yÖ (facing the big lens and turning it counter clock wise.)
Need help getting this off. Can anyone help me.

---------- Post added 08-06-22 at 07:15 AM ----------

Just clarify the part Iím having an issue with, I got a picture from a site I used. Itís in Japanese but look at the third picture from the top. In that picture it is the middle of the three objects in frame. On this middle piece it is the black ring around the glass element Iím having an issue with. Thanks! (Everywhere I checked it basically says just spin it and it will come offÖweíll the pain/bruises on my hands disagree.)

---------- Post added 08-06-22 at 07:16 AM ----------

Sorry hereís the link
https://japanlensassociation.com/smc-pentax-30mm-f2-8-repair-textbook/

08-06-2022, 06:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We have a few members here knowledgeable on the topic who will eventually chime it. You may have to be patient.

Oh, and welcome.
08-06-2022, 08:00 PM   #3

If you mean the thin ring around the lens with the two slots then you need a lens spanner wrench to remove it. Removing this ring should release the front element which sounds like what you want to clean.
08-06-2022, 11:42 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
We have a few members here knowledgeable on the topic who will eventually chime it. You may have to be patient.

Oh, and welcome.
Glad to be here thanks!

I finally got itÖ my hands hurt but had to carefully use acetone to get it offÖ

---------- Post added 08-06-22 at 11:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If you mean the thin ring around the lens with the two slots then you need a lens spanner wrench to remove it. Removing this ring should release the front element which sounds like what you want to clean.
I guess itís called a retaining ring(?). It doesnít have slots. Sadly. Had to use a lot of acetone and pray I didnít get it on the lens. Thanks for the reply though.

08-07-2022, 11:13 AM   #5

From this photo it looks like there are the typical slots for a spanner wrench (almost in line with the screw visible on the left).

The part you removed is the front element lens group. If you needed acetone to remove it that suggests a thread locker was used and perhaps the lens has been serviced before.
08-07-2022, 03:30 PM   #6

Original Poster

From this photo it looks like there are the typical slots for a spanner wrench (almost in line with the screw visible on the left).

The part you removed is the front element lens group. If you needed acetone to remove it that suggests a thread locker was used and perhaps the lens has been serviced before.
Ya there are some but those slots are behind the front element. I think they are for the element behind the front one. Iíll need to take that off too due to something else I need to clean.

It has? Oh thatís interesting. They didnít say that.

Thanks alot
08-07-2022, 04:46 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by ChiefZer0 Quote
It has? Oh that’s interesting. They didn’t say that.
I've not known Asahi / Pentax to use thread locker in these areas but anything is possible. I've not taken apart any M or K series lenses.

08-07-2022, 05:51 PM   #8

Original Poster
I've not known Asahi / Pentax to use thread locker in these areas but anything is possible. I've not taken apart any M or K series lenses.
Ya it is a little odd, there are slots on the larger metal casing and if I were able to open the metal casing (thereís an odd black ring under a lip that I assume can be opened with the correct tools) I probably wouldnít need to open this. That being said since I managed to get it I will never know.
08-08-2022, 04:30 AM   #9

If I were you, I'd go to a handyman on this matter, since the lens costs 20,000 and it would be a shame even to me if you did something terrible to it. You can also go to Pirate Bay, and download the instruction manual, thus you will have a manual, which means more chances to fix it without problems. But if I were you, I'd go with the first option.

Last edited by HuistonPhill; 09-26-2022 at 10:50 AM.
08-08-2022, 04:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm no lens repair expert but if you manage to clean it (and put it back together again) then you got a great price on that lens - a copy in good condition is a lot more expensive.
08-08-2022, 06:40 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know you got the ring off ...but next time you run into this problem try chilling the lens in the fridge. Then let it come back to room temperature. The expand-shrink of the metal can sometimes help it loosen up.

08-08-2022, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
Took it apart, cleaned and put it back together again. It looks great. Had to put on and off the front most element many times because I always found another mark. Started sweating haha. It has Awesome colors. I didnít have a manual but I did have a diagram for element order and orientation. Very helpful.
And yes I later saw that that lens can go for around 150 to 300 dollars at times. Quiet shocking. It was at a old style thrift store. Things everywhere and found it between some chairs. I think the clerk just said some random price. Honestly didnít know if it was a good deal or not. But guess it was.
I actually saw that about freezing it. It was the next thing I was going to try!
Thanks all for the help. Hopefully in the next few days Iíll put up a picture in the vintage photos thread.