Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2022, 06:15 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jomar Quote
Hi there, I found this thread & was curious about whether you enjoyed street shooting with the 40mm XS? I've been having similar thoughts -- whether I should just get an additional 40mm XS to go with my K-3ii and HD DA 21, or if I should sell off my Pentax gear and switch to Ricoh GR.
I haven’t used the 40xs but I have used the 40 Ltd. I liked it but it’s tight framing for “traditional” Street shots. In todays post Covid world it might be useful to have a bit more distance as people are less comfortable in close quarters. I’ve not seen the density of people on the streets out and about nor have I seen street festivals packed with people like they once were. The slight telephoto may still allow some environmental elements if you can maintain a rational distance.

11-12-2022, 12:39 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have 40 Ltd, not XS. And... it gathers dust. I take it out from time to time but all in all I prefer 20-40 despite size and weight difference.
06-11-2023, 06:59 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jomar Quote
Hi there, I found this thread & was curious about whether you enjoyed street shooting with the 40mm XS? I've been having similar thoughts -- whether I should just get an additional 40mm XS to go with my K-3ii and HD DA 21, or if I should sell off my Pentax gear and switch to Ricoh GR.
Since already own a DSLR, I encourage you to purchase a DA 40 XS, it’s a fantastic lens. There’s an entire thread devoted to the images it produces.

I often used mine on a K-5 in the past, and I still use it on my KP when I want a light and compact combo which produces great results. So much so that I haven’t felt the need to buy a GRiii.
06-12-2023, 05:01 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Both are good options - the DSLR offering more functions (here K-3 III with the 40mm Ltd), but while compact, the GRIII is the one that comfortably fits into your pockets.
I take the GR when I can't or don't feel like carrying a full-size camera. And of course, it's 40mm vs 26mm - but the DA 21mm Ltd. is not that much bigger.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 12  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 12  Photo 
06-14-2023, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
I have 20-40 Ltd but despite being small it is still pretty large so I am thinking about getting either 21 or 40mm Limiteds for slim package. 15 and 70 (I have both) are bit too extreme. I would love to get both lenses, but this year it is last buy and I can get only one. Money needed for something else then photography.
If you want to save up for a GR, dont spend money on another lens.

You can do "street" with any camera, it comes mostly down to your behaviour on the streets, not if your lens is maybe 2cm shorter

And even a 15 or 20 wont make your K3 as compact as a GR If K3 + 20-40 is too big, then probably K3 + 21 or 40 is also too big. This being said, a friend of mine does street with a Hasselblad.
06-14-2023, 07:45 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nah, I resigned from getting GR. Will stick to K-3/3 only for digital. As for street I have been enlightened when I returned to film. K2 with 28 or 50 M lens and b&w film are something I really do like and feel "at home" with when I am on street.
06-14-2023, 08:00 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
If I was going out with a body and one prime on APSc (I never do, so this is pure speculation)
I would seriously consider the 35DA Macro,
It's such good versitile package, near normal focal length, decently fast, close focusing ability, sharp, compact.
YMMMV
I would have suggested the same, but HD version all things considered.

06-14-2023, 10:37 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
Nah, I resigned from getting GR. Will stick to K-3/3 only for digital. As for street I have been enlightened when I returned to film. K2 with 28 or 50 M lens and b&w film are something I really do like and feel "at home" with when I am on street.
Oh yes, although I prefer the KX over the K2, but the 28-50-85mm combo is all you need.
As long as you develop before taking a plane... one of my films was ruined.