Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2022, 11:02 PM   #16
Pentaxian

This might depend on how you view your images:- perhaps consider cropping. The image quality of the limited lenses is so good that even a half crop of the frame (one quarter of the area) would still give a 6 MP image from a K-3iii, which will look good on screen or in a 12-inch print. If that would be OK for you, then get the 21 mm limited lens (i.e. close to the GR's focal length) and crop in PP, as far as the equivalent of 40 mm if needed.

Philip

08-13-2022, 12:59 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a wonderful predicament! Your options are pretty extensive. As others suggest just use your 20-40mm for an outing or two and you will see which FL you prefer pretty quickly.
Apart from the 21 and 40mm, the F 28mm (if you can find one) or FA 28 are great on APSC, as is the Ltd 35mm or FA 35mm. I prefer the FA over the Ltd as it is lighter and is faster, but the build quality of the Ltd is clearly better and it also has the useful close focus facility,
A lot will depend on the streets you are shooting in. If they are cramped like many we see here in the UK, wider is better. More generously proportioned streets seen in continental Europe or North America, would make me personally go for a 35 or 40mm over a 28mm or wider.
FWIW, last September I did SIC with the K 35mm f3.5 on my KP. It proved to be highly capable as a street lens, despite its "slow" max aperture. It also has the benefits of being small, light, discrete, great IQ, not too hard to find and reasonably inexpensive. If one can live with MF and the green button it's a great choice.

Last edited by richard0170; 08-13-2022 at 01:36 AM.
08-13-2022, 03:55 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If it were me, I'd do the 21... but since you said you liked long but 70mm is too much, I'd do a 50mm f1.7 or f2.0.

Nice and small, super cheap, can be pre-focused at f8, and off you go...

-Eric
08-13-2022, 06:21 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Someone else mentioned the da 40mm xs. I have it, it's inexpensive, light and nice quality. Not a bad option to have in your pocket if you also had the 21mm.

08-13-2022, 06:52 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The DA40 is indeed "tight" on APS-C, but that can be an advantage is street photography. Depends if you want detail or context. Given the choice, I'd probably go with the 40, but that's just me.
08-13-2022, 08:17 AM   #21
Pentaxian

So my "advice" would be to go for the DA21 - and it shows that this is really a matter of personal preferences.
To me, the DA40 was 1) too tight and 2) too close to the 35 mm. Its extreme compactness wasn't an advantage to me so I sold it off although I had been pleased with the results. OTOH, I really liked the DA21. The field of view was much more versatile and I think it was my most often used prime for a "city walk". I sold it after I had bought the DA 20-40 but then I decided to buy it again
08-13-2022, 02:50 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
35 is a choice, true, never really considered those lens for anything else than Macro.
Definitely give this a try. In my head, playing the "if I had one lens" game, this would almost certainly be the one. Turning it around the other way, it's a small, compact, normal lens with excellent IQ on APS-C that also has macro capability.

08-13-2022, 02:58 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A 40mm is thin enough that your K3 might almost fit in a pocket.
That being said, my street lens is usually a plain old DA 18-135. It does a great job, and is still pretty compact.
Plus with a zoom I can compose / crop (mostly) in camera, which makes for more pixels to work with for the final photo

Last edited by rvandenbrink; 08-13-2022 at 03:15 PM. Reason: typos
08-14-2022, 06:41 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The trade off is pocket size versus field of view.
Around 40 mm : has always been one of the most compact ’pancake’ lenses in pentax. The 40 xs is today cheapest new lens.
But if streets are narrow one might prefer another wide lens in the 15 to 35 range...
Even the fish-eye 10-17 comes to my mind in the extreme wide end. The fish eye effect however can be a blessing or a curse...
08-14-2022, 08:15 AM - 3 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Fisheye is on my buying list for tech/military museum visits, I do not think I would like this effect on streets.

Anyway, thanks for all input, I never thought it will get that lively. I did a walk on my weekend trip with 20-40 and 35 and in the end I think no, both are too big and unbalancing for me when I keep camera in hand, though I really liked 35mm FoV. But the idea to use wrist strap was great one.

I decided to get 40mm. We will see how this turns out.
08-15-2022, 12:36 AM   #26

I honestly dun think any camera system (mirror or mirrorless) can do the Street Camera job of GRIII

GRIII is just too compact

For a few years, I owned a GRIII and Sony RX-100VI at the same time. GRIII is even smaller ! It is easier to fit into pockets, lens of RX-100VI is still taking up space when retracted.

So I suggest you give up the idea of turning K-3III into GRIII-equivalent camera.
08-15-2022, 12:59 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh, I know it. I was walking for long time with Cybershot from Canon that was, I think, even smaller then GRIII (but also had 1'' sensor). But in this case it is a need, not want. I do not have money on GRIII as those cameras, even used, are pretty expensive in Poland and small Limiteds can be acquired for fraction of GR price. I fully intend to get GRIII when I can spent such amount of money.

Maybe by then there will be monochrome version of it
08-15-2022, 06:34 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hayashi Quote
I honestly dun think any camera system (mirror or mirrorless) can do the Street Camera job of GRIII

GRIII is just too compact

For a few years, I owned a GRIII and Sony RX-100VI at the same time. GRIII is even smaller ! It is easier to fit into pockets, lens of RX-100VI is still taking up space when retracted.

So I suggest you give up the idea of turning K-3III into GRIII-equivalent camera.
The RX100IV lens fully retracts, I’ve never used the vi. I am shocked the griii is smaller but I haven’t used it.
08-15-2022, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Sometimes it helps to be limited. Because i like the lens that much, i've been carrying the large DFA * 1.4/50mm on my camera. It surprised me how well that works. Although it probably simply works because it is a change, and that always stimulates creativity.
If I were less certain, I'd take the 21mm (≈32mm). The DA 40mm is sharp but somehow it never really excites me much. But take just one lens and try, it will always be an education. In terms of budget, limit yourself in outings to one position on your 20-40mm. Although if you have the 35mm already, I would know my pick.
11-12-2022, 04:30 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi there, I found this thread & was curious about whether you enjoyed street shooting with the 40mm XS? I've been having similar thoughts -- whether I should just get an additional 40mm XS to go with my K-3ii and HD DA 21, or if I should sell off my Pentax gear and switch to Ricoh GR.