Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2022, 08:22 AM   #1

75 bucks worth? -> Pentax SMC DA 50mm f/1.8 K-mount with uv filter'

Hello dear photographers. I'm new to photography and bought myself a secondhand K10D to practice with.

I was advised in a previous thread to buy a Pentax autofocus 50mm lens. I found one in good state (so it says) for 75 euro/dollar. Would this be a good investment or should I find it for cheaper you'd say? I use a local website from the Netherlands and don't want to use eBay.

Many thanks!

Attached Images

08-13-2022, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only if it's in excellent condition. I see them going for 50-60.
Very nice lens but I personally prefer the SMC-F 50mm f1.7 which can be had for just a bit more.
I think - just my opinion - you should start with the SMC DA 35mm f2.4 which sells for 80-90 dollars, it's more versatile. But definitely add a 50mm lens when you can!
08-13-2022, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A 50mm lens was considered a "standard lens" on a 35mm camera. Standard, being approximately the view as you would see it with your eyes. As the K10D (which is a great camera - checkout the K10D club posts) has a smaller sensor, a 50mm lens is more like a small telephoto. This is particularly useful for portraits and sounds ok for 75 Euro, but at the risk of being shot down in flames, would suggest a better bet to start out with would be a SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR which are widely available for about £50 (uk used shop price). This would allow you to get wider views up to small telephoto length at a reasonable price and water resistant to boot. This lens was often bundled with the K10D (I have still got mine) and is a pretty useful lens. Beware though, once you have been bitten by the Pentax bug, You will want to try out some of the more exotic cameras and lenses. Lock up that credit card!
08-13-2022, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

As stevejo suggested work with the 18-55mm you already own. It is quite a good lens for a kit lens. As you wrote earlier you are starting to learn to photograph this is good lens to learn it with. The price of 75€ is not too much, but it depends on who sells it and if you get at least a years warranty. And as this 50mm is also "part" of the zoom you own, why buy a 50mm. If after a 6 months, a year of taking pictures than post a request for help to find a new lens based on the experience you have with K10d and the 18-55. Usually Pentax second hand lenses are not that cheap in the Netherlands, simply because there are not enough Dutch Pentax shooters that offer their old gear for sale.

08-13-2022, 09:38 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is a good lens, it depends on what you want to shoot. For me, it’s an awkward focal length on APS-c camera, but for some people it is their go to lens. If it is in great shape, that is probably a decent price. I have the F50/1.7 which is an older but very comparable lens, I don’t use it much, but it is stellar and can do some things that other lenses can’t,

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 08-14-2022 at 03:36 PM.
08-13-2022, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In my experience (weasel words) the 50mm IQ is noticeably superior to the 18-55 but that is usually the case with primes. The 35 mm which $90-100, is even better. As always, you must decide what is important to get the sort of images you are satisfied with. That said, those two primes stay in my bag while a Sigma 17-50 does the work (general landscape). Spend time thinking about what you want to create, and buy wisely.
08-13-2022, 10:06 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Only if it's in excellent condition. I see them going for 50-60.
Very nice lens but I personally prefer the SMC-F 50mm f1.7 which can be had for just a bit more.
I think - just my opinion - you should start with the SMC DA 35mm f2.4 which sells for 80-90 dollars, it's more versatile. But definitely add a 50mm lens when you can!
Thanks again ChristianRock for your valuable advise!

---------- Post added 08-13-22 at 10:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
A 50mm lens was considered a "standard lens" on a 35mm camera. Standard, being approximately the view as you would see it with your eyes. As the K10D (which is a great camera - checkout the K10D club posts) has a smaller sensor, a 50mm lens is more like a small telephoto. This is particularly useful for portraits and sounds ok for 75 Euro, but at the risk of being shot down in flames, would suggest a better bet to start out with would be a SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR which are widely available for about £50 (uk used shop price). This would allow you to get wider views up to small telephoto length at a reasonable price and water resistant to boot. This lens was often bundled with the K10D (I have still got mine) and is a pretty useful lens. Beware though, once you have been bitten by the Pentax bug, You will want to try out some of the more exotic cameras and lenses. Lock up that credit card!
Hey Stevejo, I indeed own a 18-55mm. I thought I should get myself a 50mm prime lens as I saw people saying those are better quality. And indeed the Pentax bug is making me search for these lenses already haha!

---------- Post added 08-13-22 at 10:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
As stevejo suggested work with the 18-55mm you already own. It is quite a good lens for a kit lens. As you wrote earlier you are starting to learn to photograph this is good lens to learn it with. The price of 75€ is not too much, but it depends on who sells it and if you get at least a years warranty. And as this 50mm is also "part" of the zoom you own, why buy a 50mm. If after a 6 months, a year of taking pictures than post a request for help to find a new lens based on the experience you have with K10d and the 18-55. Usually Pentax second hand lenses are not that cheap in the Netherlands, simply because there are not enough Dutch Pentax shooters that offer their old gear for sale.
Will do, and indeed there aren't that many unfortunately in the Netherlands!

08-13-2022, 10:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

That's pricey for that lens in my opinion. If you don't care about autofocus you could try out the FL with the M version of the 50mm f1.7 which in my opinion is one of the best M lenses. Otherwise you could for a bit more money get the F 50mm f1.7 or the DA 40mm XS both of which are better than the DA 50mm in my opinion.

The DA 40mm XS was my walkaround lens for years. Excellent performer with a tiny form factor.
08-13-2022, 10:20 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
That's pricey for that lens in my opinion. If you don't care about autofocus you could try out the FL with the M version of the 50mm f1.7 which in my opinion is one of the best M lenses. Otherwise you could for a bit more money get the F 50mm f1.7 or the DA 40mm XS both of which are better than the DA 50mm in my opinion.

The DA 40mm XS was my walkaround lens for years. Excellent performer with a tiny form factor.
Hey thanks for the advise. I got the tip that for the K10D, a Manual one doesn't work well, otherwise I saw them around for 30 bucks.
08-13-2022, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Naj90 Quote
Hey thanks for the advise. I got the tip that for the K10D, a Manual one doesn't work well, otherwise I saw them around for 30 bucks.
Depends on how good your eyes are. You can also use a magnifying eyepiece like the O-ME53.
08-13-2022, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
Depends on how good your eyes are. You can also use a magnifying eyepiece like the O-ME53.
Hmm, my eyes are pretty good .
08-13-2022, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #12
Unregistered User

You can also look on MPB for second hand guaranteed gear who are based in Berlin within the EU
icon/midnight/@menu
08-13-2022, 12:47 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The DA 50mm F1.8 is very good lens for the price. Second hand ones are usually around € 100,00. It is worth trying that one, but I agree with ChristianRock that the DA 35mm F2.4 is a good option it is also known as the "Plastic Fantastic"! I own one and I can recommend it!
08-13-2022, 02:53 PM   #14
Forum Member

Seems a reasonable price - go for it. It’s a great little prime lens, and if you need to sell it on at a later date I am sure you can at a similar price.
08-13-2022, 03:16 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
The DA 50mm F1.8 is very good lens for the price. Second hand ones are usually around € 100,00.
I'm assuming that they're more expensive over there then? In the US they're about 116 USD new.