Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2008, 11:55 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Most landscape shots do not need to be that wide. In fact, the wider the focal length, the harder to pop the subject and composition gets tricky.

I personally love 50mm and 35mm is a little too wide for me these days. You would be suprised to find many outstanding landscape photographs utilising not so wide lenses.

A wide zooms these days are having high standards regardless of the brand. A wide prime is really for a smaller size with portability. Otherwise, there are little difference for these wide primes.

For street candids, one of the style is using 35mm or 24mm. This usually captures the setting of the people that are in and creating stunning impact from this type of shots. Wide aperture usually helps to pop the subject but this requires a lot of skills to do.

People who can utilise a ultra wide prime to do landscape well are usually experts with soooo much experience. It is hard to consider so many variables using an ultra wide focal length.

12-21-2008, 12:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have found that I only have really needed a very wide lens when taking pictures of large groups (eg in an auditorium or equivalent). I one case I had a 12-24 that was at 12mm and another was a 16-45 at 16. Both were in the same location and the 12 made my life easier. That said, I pretty much never used it again, and in most cases only very rarely use the 16-45. Instead for street I either have a 35mm (52mm equivalent) or my p&s where I'm somewhere between 24-70. 24mm equivalent I find plenty wide, but it really depends on the look you're trying to get. I am planning to ditch my 16-45 zoom and get the 15mm ltd when it comes out. Then I'll have 15/31/35/43/77 and the 50-135* if I need longer throw. I have a particular look that I usually am going for though, and just want the option to throw the 15 on if I need it for a particularly tight situation. ymmv.
12-21-2008, 12:56 AM   #18
Inactive Account

I was thinking about the same thing a few months ago.

I had DA21, FA28, FA35, DA40, FA50, DA70 and wanted the upcoming DA15.

I desided to sell DA21 and FA28, and I went for DA12-24. I was thinking about waiting to see how the Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 performed in tests. But theres no point of missing 3-5 months of wide angle shots. I will probably sell DA 12-24 if the Tamron is better. I just have to wait and see.

Now I use DA12-24 as my main lens on K20D and use FA35 and DA70(and FA50) on my K-m.
It's much easier to zoom with your feet in the 30-70mm range than within the 10-30mm range.
This is my experience with the type of photography I do. Landsacape, cityscape and different scenery, object and arkitecture.
12-21-2008, 05:46 AM   #19
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was there too. DA14 although fast, didn't have impressive results from tests I was able to find on the internet. DA12-24 great lens it may be, but way above my budget. I had a look on Sigma 10-20, and have been happy with it ever since...
PS: you may consider 16-45 or 16-50 DA*. They are not much wider but it may be enough, it all depends on how much wider than 18 you want to go. And 16-45 is available for some crazy money now...
BR

12-21-2008, 05:52 AM   #20
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Most landscape shots do not need to be that wide. In fact, the wider the focal length, the harder to pop the subject and composition gets tricky.

I personally love 50mm and 35mm is a little too wide for me these days. You would be suprised to find many outstanding landscape photographs utilising not so wide lenses.

A wide zooms these days are having high standards regardless of the brand. A wide prime is really for a smaller size with portability. Otherwise, there are little difference for these wide primes.

For street candids, one of the style is using 35mm or 24mm. This usually captures the setting of the people that are in and creating stunning impact from this type of shots. Wide aperture usually helps to pop the subject but this requires a lot of skills to do.

People who can utilise a ultra wide prime to do landscape well are usually experts with soooo much experience. It is hard to consider so many variables using an ultra wide focal length.

Pretty much agree with James here. Ultrawide makes your life easy in very confined spaces, or densly built up areas (I find plenty of both here in London) but it gets really tricky taking decent landscape with it (often end up changing the lens, or cropping in later during PPing). Unlike him though, I find my DA40 and F50 tad on long side. I love FOV of 28mm lens on APS-C (I just don't have good 28mm prime) and would like to try 35mm.
anyway, good luck choosing...
12-21-2008, 06:14 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joelovotti Quote
What do you think of the Sigma. I can't use a lens that doesn't feel and look good as well as take great shots.
joe
I like it a lot (as I do all my Sigma EXs). it's very sharp and easy to handle. When I first got it I thought it was pretty heavy (there's a lot of glass in there) but my kit and I have bulked up substantially since then ;~) Like I say I don't use it very often but when I need it, it really delivers.

Here are two samples.
What with power lines and traffic signs, I was having a devil of time getting a good shot of that building (on a commission of sorts) with longer lenses (including the 21mm ltd.) This was at 16mm: you can see the distortion of course.

The other was a tripod shot at 20mm (1/4s, f/5.6)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo   
12-21-2008, 06:36 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Oops! I was thinking of F3.5

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Nelson Quote
Are you comparing the DA14 and the DA12-24? There's only 1 stop difference between them.
That's what I get for using 1/3 EV ! I always think of the wider incrementals as full stops because there is so much more difference!

NaCl(that's what happens when you post without thinking)H2O
12-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
How wide is too wide?

A quick thank you to all who replied so far.

This is turning into a very interesting discussion and I'm please to see the varying points of view and I'm doing my best to put myself in others shoes to really see their point.

One interesting point so far is that it is difficult to tell your story one the image gets very wide.

Here is a shot from my Sigma 18-50 2.8 @ 18mm. I wonder how much wider I could go with a shot like this before there is just too much for the eye to process.
Attachment 24327

What do you think?

Last edited by joelovotti; 12-15-2010 at 07:23 PM.
12-21-2008, 11:11 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joelovotti Quote
A quick thank you to all who replied so far.

This is turning into a very interesting discussion and I'm please to see the varying points of view and I'm doing my best to put myself in others shoes to really see their point.

One interesting point so far is that it is difficult to tell your story one the image gets very wide.

Here is a shot from my Sigma 18-50 2.8 @ 18mm. I wonder how much wider I could go with a shot like this before there is just too much for the eye to process.
Attachment 24327

What do you think?
well, if you turn the camera 90 degrees it'll be a lot wider

What is it that you see that you find compelling at a certain location, and then does that "fit" into the viewfinder. That is my only real criteria. I tend to not shoot wide but that's because I don't really see the world that way.

plus if you want "wide" you can always stitch multiple photos...
12-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
True. But if you're thinking of this as a *supplement* to the kit lens for landscape use rather than a replacement, it can make sense.

In a similar but somewhat situation. I have my kit lens (version II) and like it well enough for landscape use. But I also have an M28/2.8 and DA40 I that I like more, so I tend to have those two with me rather than the kit lens except when I *know* I'll be wanting something wider than 28mm, and it works reasonably well. Bringing the 18-55 with me just for its wdie angle capability seems like a waste of space most of the time, so I do think about a wider prime.

Most obvious would be the possibility of getting a DA21 to go along with the 40, and then figuring out whether I'd want to bother with the 28 most of the time, but the DA15 if of course very interesting too. I've maxed out the kit lens at 18 often enough, and shot just enough with a friend's DA14, to know I *do* like the ability to shoot that wide at times. So I'm suspecting that having the 2 as my widest would still make me want to have the kit lens around at times. Of course, I get by with 28 as my widest pretty often. I also wonder about using the 21 *instead* of the 28, but I think I'd miss that focal length too much to be happy with just 21 and 40 at that end of the spectrum (I usually have my M100/2.8 with me too).

So the idea of keeping the 28 in the kit but adding the DA15 when it comes out is quite appealing. Here, though, I wonder if the hole between 15 and 28 would seem just too big, and make me still want to have the kit lens with me too. But I know I don't do enough shooting at those kind of wide focal lengths to want to carry around a relatively large zoom like the 12-24.

My suspicion is that unless price turns out to be prohibitive, I'll end up with the DA15 and being happy for the creative possibilities it gives me over anything I have, and I'll still end up taking the 18-55 with me at times, too. I could see the 15 + 18-55 + 40 + 100 being a nice walkaround kit (and someday, replace the 100 with a DA70 for most purposes, keeping the 100 as my concert lens, since it is *perfect* for that).
12-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #26
Veteran Member

If I were to choose only one lens for my super wide to wide shooting it would have to be the Pentax 12-24 hands down. Incredibly sharp from wide open and excellent contrast. It has to be one of the finest zoom lenses ever manufactured for the Pentax line up. It is so much more versitile than a fixed 15mm for example, which is not really that wide.

Ben