Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2022, 05:03 PM   #31
Forum Member

I agree with kanyck's observations. I have a MIJ FA43 and like it on the K-1 when I want to be less conspicuous than with a 24-70 zoom or when I want to travel as light as possible (with the not-so-light K-1). I prefer the FOV vs 50 mm; seems almost wide angle by comparison. Previously owned a FA50 f1.4, and found it soft/low contrast below f 2.8; the FA43 is perfectly usable wide open, already sharp in the center - and even to the edges if there is subject matter corresponding to the curvature of the field of focus. Both lenses are very sharp stopped down but I like the color rendition better on the 43. Seems like the blues are really intense compared to most other lenses. Bokeh can get pretty strange, from fish scales to bokeh balls to stained-glass or painted appearance. I generally use the 43 for landscape or street so bokeh is not an issue in these situations. The ability to stop down to f22 on full frame without noticeable loss of sharpness is also a nice benefit for landscape use. All in all, a very handy and versatile little lens.

08-24-2022, 06:50 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
FA50/1.4 was my first prime that I've kept all these years despite being soft wide open because it has captured some priceless images and I'm sentimental that way. Got an FA43 about ten years ago, love it, and consider it a fave for sure. Not compelled to HD FA from what I've looked into.

Very recently got a used ebay copy of the DFA* Fat Fifty from Tokyo because I couldn't resist the idea of sharp at f1.4 and have a specific potentially long term task ahead where I will benefi/enjoy being able to shoot confidently at f1.4. I have other 50's and a couple other 50/1.4's but none that I would say are fully "sharp" at 1.4 and especially none that are AF (aside from FA50 aka 'the Hunter'...). From the very first shot with DFA50 I knew I'd made the right call for my situation, but that doesn't mean getting the lens was necessary... I could have gotten the job done with other lenses including the FA43, but it's a nice luxury to have options, and they will all still get their turns.
08-26-2022, 08:53 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The FA 43 was the first prime that I bought for my K-1. I've never used it on any of my APS-C cameras. I bought it just to give me something extra in terms of color, microcontrast, and rendering that you'll never get out of the DFA 28-105, with it's more generic imaging. I use the 43 mostly for landscape and rarely for it's fast aperture. The FA 43 might be a little sharper than the DFA 28-105, but the differences are not all that significant. The reason to get the FA 43 is for the unique look it provides---the ambiance, the more life-like, or at least piquant and interesting, rendering of detail, or for fast aperture use---not for any extra sharpness, which is perilously close to imperceptible in any case. And of course it can be useful for fast aperture use. With a lens that expensive, one needs to be comfortable with that specific focal length. I find the "true normal" focal length of the 43 very comfortable to shoot at. I could photograph at it for long stretches of time, which minimizes lens changes. But for those who don't find the focal length comfortable (either to wide or not wide enough), there are better options.

A rare (for me anyways) shot with the FA 43 wide open:

08-26-2022, 01:59 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the D FA 35mm f2 and I've decided I'm going to do a lot more testing with it before I decide whether to stick with it, or go towards the 43mm. If there's a clear reason for one over the other it would probably affect my decision which to take out, so I probably wouldn't hold onto both.