Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
08-19-2022, 01:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How good is the water resistance of the 20-40 lens?

Like to use this handy lens in the field. How good will it hold to the elements?

08-19-2022, 02:24 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR is the first zoom lens to join the Pentax lineup of ultra-compact "limited" lenses. . . .

Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

it has the standard " W R " protection which Pentax says is not their best, that is the " A W " protection

QuoteQuote:
AW, WR: Lenses with the AW (All Weather) or WR (Weather Resistant) designations are sealed so that they better withstand use in light rain and blowing dust. AW is the more resistant of the two.
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Neither are " water proof " but do the job in most cases

for best protection, consider a lens " rain jacket "

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=photographic%20lens%20rain%20jacket%20%...mageHoverTitle

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-19-2022 at 02:32 PM.
08-19-2022, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ve never put mine to the test.
08-19-2022, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

it has the standard " W R " protection which Pentax says is not their best, that is the " A W " protection

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Neither are " water proof " but do the job in most cases

for best protection, consider a lens " rain jacket "

photographic lens rain jacket " - Search
I am aware of all the literature. I'm looking for real world experiences. But thank you for that.

08-19-2022, 02:52 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
I am aware of all the literature. I'm looking for real world experiences. But thank you for that.
what are you expecting to use the lens in

light rain I had no problem

down pour I cover the camera and lens and dry with towel

hurricane I would stay home
08-19-2022, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have used all my WR lenses and camera's in pooring rain without any problem. Except my K7 when it got pouring wet in a water slide. Some buttons (ISO and +/-) got sticky after a while trough the dirty water. Keeping it under a running tap while constantly pressing those keys fixed the problem, and that is already several years ago.
08-19-2022, 04:06 PM   #7

I was wondering the same thing...

I want either the 20-40 or the 40 in the limited series, but I can't decide. I live in Canada and I wear my Pentax K3 out on my neck with no issues in Winter. Mostly using the A-Series primes, which give me no issue. It would be nice to have the option of AF.

08-19-2022, 05:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

A few points to note:

WR is weather resistant not water resistant.
Pentax cannot guarantee that the seals will keep out water, so water damage is not covered by the warranty.
In practice, I have used my Pentax WR bodies and WR lenses in normal rainfall (i.e not stormy conditions) so far with no problem.

Philip
08-19-2022, 06:25 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have used it in the rain with no problems, but not heavy rains for long duration. I have been in a downpour with the 18-135 on a K-30 a few years ago and had no ill effects, and the 20-40 is built better than the 18-135, for what that is worth.
08-19-2022, 07:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

While nothing is guaranteed, I have used a similarly specified 55-300 PLM zoom with WR and it handled pouring rain, flurries, and splashing seawater in freezing temperatures without issues. I did have to be careful to wipe it down and let the condensation evaporate quickly when I brought it back inside to warmer and drier conditions. While drying out and wiping down, I kept the zoom extended to expose the maximum area that could have gotten wet.
08-19-2022, 07:33 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I had my copy of the DA 20-40mm on my K-3 on the boat that goes right up to Niagara Falls. Both the camera and the lens came through with flying colours, and I was exceptionally happy with the results I got on the day.

It doesn't get much wetter than that in my experience, and the only other cameras being used on the boat at the time were Samsung water proof cellphones (was before Apple got water proofing).

I had to wipe the lens with a cloth that got very wet, before each image, but that was a small price to pay for the images achieved
08-20-2022, 02:01 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

I've had my WR telephotos out in the rain. The main thing is to refrain from zooming while using them & prior to drying them off.
08-20-2022, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #13

my WR lenses get sticky when splashed with the Beer element , but fresh Rain element always solves the problem!
08-20-2022, 12:43 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I had my copy of the DA 20-40mm on my K-3 on the boat that goes right up to Niagara Falls. Both the camera and the lens came through with flying colours, and I was exceptionally happy with the results I got on the day.

It doesn't get much wetter than that in my experience, and the only other cameras being used on the boat at the time were Samsung water proof cellphones (was before Apple got water proofing).

I had to wipe the lens with a cloth that got very wet, before each image, but that was a small price to pay for the images achieved
I have been in those boats and I know exactly what you mean. It’s monsoon-like.
09-09-2022, 06:04 AM   #15

Photos: Albums
I was hoping the 20-40 would have internal zoom, for me that would be the main reason to get one, but after reading some of the topics it appears there is an external movement, and I guess drops could be pulled into the mechanism. I'm looking for a sturdy lens that I don't have to worry about, but I also saw a few used ones with dented hoods etc, I think for my particular use case it's maybe best to get an(other) cheap 18-135 , stop worrying too much, and just replace it if something disastrous happens to it