Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2022, 05:49 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have four Limited lenses, and am very content with the optical quality of all of them, their robust yet elegant builds, and their small to moderate sizes.

I have two * lenses, and am shocked by their optical quality. Their sizes and weights mean that I only pack them when I have a very deliberate need for their special skills. However, the DFA* 70-200, being a zoom, does get taken out quite often as it covers a wide range of uses.

08-21-2022, 06:33 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I have four Limited lenses, and am very content with the optical quality of all of them, their robust yet elegant builds, and their small to moderate sizes.

I have two * lenses, and am shocked by their optical quality. Their sizes and weights mean that I only pack them when I have a very deliberate need for their special skills. However, the DFA* 70-200, being a zoom, does get taken out quite often as it covers a wide range of uses.
I hadn't really noticed, but I guess I never was all that impressed by the Limited's as I've rented the FA43 just once out of curiosity, bought and sold the FA77 twice, and the FA31 once on to more appreciative forum members. I do however own a number of *lenses, none of which have disappointed me yet.

I'll note that I did recommend the FA77 for my erstwhile business partner. Considering the Pentax glass she had become accustomed to using when loaning her one of my cameras she would not have appreciated the upsides of the DFA85 (or 50 or 70-200) enough to regularly carry it with the heft involved. The FA77 does really well for her.

I don't generally have any issue with the weights of the newer star lenses, well-worth the benefits IMO.

Last edited by gatorguy; 08-21-2022 at 06:40 AM.
08-21-2022, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
In the later years - the 16-50mm and the 50-135mm * lenses are also Weather Sealed. That is why I bought them. The LTD lenses are not sealed and are designs from the 70's.
The FA LTD lenses were designed in the 1990's.

The DA LTD lenses - and the D FA 21/2.4 LTD - were designed after the turn of the millenium and that 21/2.4 & DA 20-40 LTD are both weather sealed.
08-21-2022, 01:29 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best to go to the source:

Pentax Limited Lenses

Pentax Star Lenses

08-21-2022, 02:38 PM   #20
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Best to go to the source:

Pentax Limited Lenses

Pentax Star Lenses
I did go to both of these URL's. The release dates are not listed.
08-21-2022, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

All the lenses shown are current production ones.

BTW, our own Kobie has a pertinent video on his YouTube channel. The new * lens coatings do make a difference.

Last edited by gatorguy; 08-21-2022 at 03:07 PM.
08-21-2022, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #22
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
All the lenses shown are current production ones.

BTW, our own Kobie has a pertinent video on his YouTube channel. The new * lens coatings do make a difference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MazoGuQH8h8
I was looking for the original release dates for the Limited's. So far, no real luck.
I am not concerned about coatings or whether they work. I would like to know when the Limited Series lenses were first introduced. The 60's, 70's or later?

08-21-2022, 05:21 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was looking for the original release dates for the Limited's. So far, no real luck.
I am not concerned about coatings or whether they work. I would like to know when the Limited Series lenses were first introduced. The 60's, 70's or later?
The first Limited lens - the FA 43 - was released in 1997.

Also, here is a bit of the story of the FA Limiteds, presented by someone who was working at Pentax during their development, and as related by a member of this forum who was present:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/396940-fa-...a-limited.html

Last edited by luftfluss; 08-21-2022 at 05:27 PM.
08-21-2022, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like to know when the Limited Series lenses were first introduced.
Not sure if the following source is definitive, but it gives "release" dates for Pentax lenses: https://photographylife.com/lenses/brand/pentax

The following respected site indicates dates of introduction: http://kmp.pentaxians.eu/lenses/

Also, the Pentax Forums lens review section indicates production dates for each lens.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 08-21-2022 at 06:11 PM.
08-21-2022, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is interesting that the "Star" lenses are sometimes described as "clinical" - that is, emphasizing across-the-frame sharpness and contrast and highly corrected for aberrations at the expense of certain appealing visual characteristics - yet numerous "Star" lenses including the D FA* 85/1.4, DA* 60-250/4, F/FA 300/4.5, among others, are also noted for having lovely rendering.

The DA 35/2.8 Ltd Macro, OTOH, might be the most "clinical" of either group of lenses.
08-21-2022, 09:08 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The LTD lenses are not sealed and are designs from the 70's.
?

The DA20-40 and DFA 21 Limiteds are both weathersealed.

None of the DA Limiteds are from the 1970s.

Star lenses predate the Limiteds.
08-22-2022, 02:46 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know if it is helpful, but in the Pentax Forums' lens review section, each lens has a year listing of production run. So, for instance for the FA 31 limited, it lists 2001 to the present. This is in the gray box just below the top. SMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

It may not be totally accurate, because I think the production run was done when they released the HD FA 31 limited, but it at least gives you a ball park starting date.
08-22-2022, 12:19 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those pages are what Pentax says about the qualities of the lenses, nothing about release dates.
08-22-2022, 03:04 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the Pentax concept of developing very high-quality compact lenses to go with their compact SLR concept was and is a very good idea. Thus the "Limited' lens concept was born. For me, in the way I often go about doing photography, this concept has been perfect! I have found Limited lenses to be amazingly compact, while at the same time able to provide very sharp, high-quality imaging, especially when stopped down by a little bit, and with beautiful rendering.

The FA 43mm Ltd for example, is very compact on my K-1 II, even more so on certain 35mm film bodies, yet it is capable of delivering very sharp results, and used on FF cameras has an especially natural 3-D look due to the perspective afforded by its 43mm FL. Much more adaptive to a variety of scenes compared to a 50mm lens on FF, and makes carrying my K-1 II much easier.

The FA 77mm Ltd is one of my very favorites on FF or APS-C, capable of very sharp imaging with beautiful bokeh, in a beautifully-built body of incredibly small dimensions for its FL and f/1.8 speed, and with a pull-out hood.

I could never have imagined such a phenomenon as the amazingly small size for such a wide angle, but with such high quality, which is the DA 15mm f/4 Ltd jewel. So diminutive it can live in the front accessory pocket of my holster-type camera case, with still room for a spare battery and SD cards! It is so unnoticeable it is easy to forget it is there- until I need it. So many times I have relied on its handy presence when I need an ultra- WA shot, and with such great results!

I could go on about the virtues of the other Limiteds I have, but the above are just three examples of the Limited lens concept and what it continues to mean for me.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-22-2022 at 03:14 PM.
08-22-2022, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cpoteet Quote
What is the difference between the * series and Limited series lenses?

Thank you.
Money.

My experience is the * lenses are sharper at wider apertures but have a more neutral rendering. Some say it is a clinical look. It's as good a descriptive as anything, but it should not be used in a derogatory manner. It just is what it is.

The * lenses tend to be on the large size and are somewhat faster.

The Limited lenses certainly give a less clinical look. They are not optimized for ultimate sharpness, though they are plenty sharp for the most part. They are significantly smaller in size, and do it without compromising a lot of speed.

The 77 has lovely rendering especially on film. If you ever get a chance to shoot film with a 77, shoot slides and look at them through a good quality loupe. It's worth the effort if you are a lens junkie.

The 77mm LTD is only 1/2 stop slower than the much larger, heavier and optically perfect DFA*84.1.4 as an example.

The DFA* Lens is quite happy wide open, the 77 not so mutch.

I found the DA Ltd lenses to be a mixed bag, but I really liked the 35mm and 70mm Ltds.

The DA*55/1.4 is quite excellent. I didn't like it so much for portraits, I found it short and harsh. In rendering, it reminded me if the K50/1.4. Stupidly sharp and extremely neutral but the bokeh bothered me. It seemed rough.

I like the 31 more on APS-C than 35mm. It's the best standard lens one can get in Pentax land if that's your thing. It can be made to fringe in surprisingly mundane circumstances.
The 70 and 77 give pretty similar rendering. The 70 fringes less IIRC. Both are superb. The 70 is one of my favourite fields of view. I would love a 105 Ltd in whatever wonky maximum aperture they decided on.
I'd be willing to pay real money for a DFA*105/1.4. It's a dream I have.

The 43/1.9 is a lens I have tried hard to like, but haven't succeeded. Others like it, so don't take my word for it. On the occasions when it is the right focal length I've been happy enough with the results, but it's not a preferred optic.
For me it's not long enough on the cropped format and not wide enough on 35mm.