Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 132 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2022, 11:32 AM - 3 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

I don't know if I have a forever lens. Right now my favorite is the FA 35mm f/2...actually my FA 35mm is probably a forever lens because I dropped it and the damage has made it not worth selling.

Attached Images

Last edited by brofkand; 08-22-2022 at 12:27 PM.
08-22-2022, 01:40 PM   #47
Pentaxian

I would say the DA* 16-50 PLM is my favorite right now.
Since I got it, my former favorite which was the 16-85 has been collecting dust!
08-22-2022, 02:00 PM - 2 Likes   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm of simple means!!!

It'd be the lens I've had forever. Literally.

SMC-M 50mm f/1.7 Like a great pair of dress boots. Never wears out. Never goes out of style. Always comfortable. Totally predictable, in a good way.

Close second SMC-M 20mm f/4.0

Then blessed with a lovely array beyond that which as hobby photographer is an amazing thing.
08-22-2022, 03:27 PM - 3 Likes   #49
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Please share your experience. Which 24mm lens (used on Pentax) is the best?

24mm is one of my favorite focal lengths - I've been through quite a few of them to find ones that sing to me.....

Sigma Super Wide 24/2.8 - both the MF and the AF versions - both are solid lenses, but too many aberrations/flare for me....

Vivitar Komine/Kino-built 24's, which include the OP's RL edition - solid lenses, but still too many aberrations for me...

Pentax SMC/M/A 24/2.8 - amazing jewels; I have the A version currently and it is spectacular all around....

Tamron Adaptall-2 01B/BB 24/2.5 - love these well-built lenses, great colors and nice bokeh - and cheap!

Sigma EX DG 24/1.4 - monstrous lens, amazing color, but truly an unwieldy lens...

if you're willing to move out just one millimeter, my current favorite is the Zeiss Distagon 25/2.8 ZK T* - not cheap and not easy to find, but close-focusing and just stupendous IQ....

there are tons more on other mounts, these are my experiences with k-mount.....

08-22-2022, 04:25 PM - 3 Likes   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

If I literally had to decide on only one lens to use for the rest of my days, it would be the DFA*85/1.4.
There are a lot of lenses that are more useful but there aren't any lenses that I like to use more.

---------- Post added Aug 22nd, 2022 at 05:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote

Pentax SMC/M/A 24/2.8 - amazing jewels; I have the A version currently and it is spectacular all around....
Agreed about the A24/2.8. I have both it and the FA*24/2. I much prefer the A lens. The advantage the FA* lens has is the potential for shallower depth of field for those get close with a wide angle moments, and it is a nice enough lens, but pictures from the A lens have a je ne sais quoi to them.
08-22-2022, 06:12 PM - 2 Likes   #51
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote

Agreed about the A24/2.8. I have both it and the FA*24/2. I much prefer the A lens. The advantage the FA* lens has is the potential for shallower depth of field for those get close with a wide angle moments, and it is a nice enough lens, but pictures from the A lens have a je ne sais quoi to them.

there's no way to physically get all that pixie dust inside 'em....
08-22-2022, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #52

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
I don't know if I have a forever lens. Right now my favorite is the FA 35mm f/2...actually my FA 35mm is probably a forever lens because I dropped it and the damage has made it not worth selling.
I miss Amsterdam so much. (Is that Amsterdam?)

Best choice for forever lens so far...

---------- Post added 08-22-22 at 06:32 PM ----------

24mm is one of my favorite focal lengths - I've been through quite a few of them to find ones that sing to me.....

Sigma Super Wide 24/2.8 - both the MF and the AF versions - both are solid lenses, but too many aberrations/flare for me....

Vivitar Komine/Kino-built 24's, which include the OP's RL edition - solid lenses, but still too many aberrations for me...

Tamron Adaptall-2 01B/BB 24/2.5 - love these well-built lenses, great colors and nice bokeh - and cheap!

Sigma EX DG 24/1.4 - monstrous lens, amazing color, but truly an unwieldy lens...

if you're willing to move out just one millimeter, my current favorite is the Zeiss Distagon 25/2.8 ZK T* - not cheap and not easy to find, but close-focusing and just stupendous IQ....

Maybe it is my copy, maybe it is because I am using it on the K3 mostly (but it seems solid on my A7R3 also), but my RL Edition is substantially better than the SMC Pentax 24mm f2.8 (which is very close to the A and the M in design).

---------- Post added 08-22-22 at 06:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JoelA Quote
I'm of simple means!!!

It'd be the lens I've had forever. Literally.

SMC-M 50mm f/1.7 Like a great pair of dress boots. Never wears out. Never goes out of style. Always comfortable. Totally predictable, in a good way.

Close second SMC-M 20mm f/4.0

Then blessed with a lovely array beyond that which as hobby photographer is an amazing thing.
There is an elusive Pentax-M 20mm f4 on Kijiji up in Whitehorse, Yukon (Canada) if anyone wants to message the seller... I can't afford it but I will be very jelly of whoever buys that puppy.

Here is the link: smc PENTAX-M 20mm F4 | Cameras & Camcorders | Whitehorse | Kijiji

---------- Post added 08-22-22 at 06:38 PM ----------

I thought I had a wide angle lens hoarding problem... Haha JK ... We all do. That's why we're here.

08-23-2022, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

I see people malign these lenses sometimes and I wonder what they're talking about, or what their expectations are. I have a K24f2.8 and am persistently amazed by it. I've never had another 24mm lens and don't yearn for one.
08-23-2022, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #54
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I see people malign these lenses sometimes and I wonder what they're talking about, or what their expectations are. I have a K24f2.8 and am persistently amazed by it. I've never had another 24mm lens and don't yearn for one.

exactly - they are an exquisite line.....

Last edited by pepperberry farm; 08-23-2022 at 03:48 AM.
08-23-2022, 03:43 AM   #55
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pearl.ish Quote
I thought I had a wide angle lens hoarding problem... Haha JK ... We all do. That's why we're here.
take a look at this thread if you're looking for hoarding....

How many lenses do you have? - PentaxForums.com
08-23-2022, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pearl.ish Quote
I miss Amsterdam so much. (Is that Amsterdam?)

Best choice for forever lens so far...
It is the Queen Emma Bridge in Willemstad Curaçao. Which is in the Dutch Caribbean so you are forgiven for thinking it is Amsterdam!
08-23-2022, 05:21 AM   #57

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
It is the Queen Emma Bridge in Willemstad Curaçao. Which is in the Dutch Caribbean so you are forgiven for thinking it is Amsterdam!
Way off.
08-23-2022, 07:34 AM   #58
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Fave lens: Pentax 100mm 2.8 macro

It may not be my favorite lens to shoot, but it has made 90% of my freelance income as a product photographer in the last five years.
08-23-2022, 07:39 AM   #59
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Wow that is a question, my answer is the magical F* 300mm 4.5, small , sharp and just fits nicely with my vision of photo making, added bonus is that every time I look at it I get reminded of Star Wars.......
Amen, amen, and amen.

Also, the modern 4.0 isn't even close.
08-23-2022, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #60
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloyd_Christmas Quote
I would say the DA* 16-50 PLM is my favorite right now.
Since I got it, my former favorite which was the 16-85 has been collecting dust!
Yes, me too. The 16-85 was the one on my camera for most of the past few years, but the DA* 16-50 PLM is the one that's been there all the time for the past few months.