Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2022, 04:32 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KEH has both the 100 Macro 2.8 and its WR successor - LBA dilemna

I had a 100 Macro 3.5 which I sold, and wish I had not.

Anyway, was looking at KEH and they have both the 2.8 regular and the 2.8 WR, both excellent condition.

Do I *need* another macro? Maybe not. But if I were to get one, what would be the better choice?

Last edited by madison_wi_gal; 08-20-2022 at 04:43 PM.
08-20-2022, 04:38 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the WR, and I have had it out in the rain quite a few times. For me, there are a lot of macro photographic opportunities when it is raining, so that is my recommendation.
08-20-2022, 05:07 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To me, a Macro with an aperture ring is the better lens,
Easier to add extension tubes or a bellows for if you want to get even closer,
Depends on where you think you may go with this
08-20-2022, 05:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
To me, a Macro with an aperture ring is the better lens,
Easier to add extension tubes or a bellows for if you want to get even closer,
Depends on where you think you may go with this

Excellent question. Not a clue. I have the Tam 90 272E (which has an aperture ring) already. What does the Pentax 100 WR get me?

This is the problem with LBA!

08-20-2022, 05:27 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not to feed the LBA,
But good lenses tend to hold their value,
If you find yourself not using it (which ever you buy) you can likely sell it for close to what you paid,

Given that you have a Tammy 90, the non WR Pentax 100 would be largely duplication, and the WR would open up possibilities in adverse weather conditions,
How big of a fire do you have in your pocketbook?
08-20-2022, 05:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
Excellent question. Not a clue. I have the Tam 90 272E (which has an aperture ring) already. What does the Pentax 100 WR get me?

It gets you WR - aperture ring. I went some 6 decades w/o WR and survived, but I do have the WR version and live where we get near on 80" of rain per. There are times when shooting in the studio that I'd like to have that ap ring though
08-20-2022, 07:02 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
How big of a fire do you have in your pocketbook?
Less now that I bought a SECOND K-01 (Stormtrooper) because the Bumblebee was converted to full spectrum.

---------- Post added 08-20-22 at 21:03 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnMc Quote
It gets you WR - aperture ring. I went some 6 decades w/o WR and survived, but I do have the WR version and live where we get near on 80" of rain per. There are times when shooting in the studio that I'd like to have that ap ring though
My K-30 is WR and I can see how I might want to shoot macro in the rain.

I think I'll sleep on it.

08-20-2022, 10:29 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can't buy either because there is a new 100mm macro on the lens roadmap. When that comes out, the current versions will be as hopelessly out of date as my wardrobe.
08-21-2022, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I always buy WR if I have the option.
08-21-2022, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the 90 is already very good by all reports. I’m not sure what you gain with either lens over the existing one since the 90 and 100 are so close in focal length. Maybe a 35 or 50 macro would be a better purchase since the different focal length will provide a different perspective.
08-21-2022, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I had a 100 Macro 3.5 which I sold, and wish I had not.

Anyway, was looking at KEH and they have both the 2.8 regular and the 2.8 WR, both excellent condition.

Do I *need* another macro? Maybe not. But if I were to get one, what would be the better choice?
I have the “regular flavor” DFA 100mm macro, and I prefer that one because it has a focus lock which, when engaged, acts as a MF/AF switch so I can use catch in focus with my KP. I think build quality is fine, not tank-like, but not junk either.
08-21-2022, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

@madison_wi_gal

no one has mentioned these other differences between the lens:

QuoteQuote:
the lens now has an aluminum barrel. This new lens does not have an aperture ring so it is not suitable for use on the older film cameras which do not allow for setting the aperture from the camera body, such as the LX, MX, ME, ME Super, K1000 etc.

The aperture has rounded blades which should result in a pleasing and smooth rendering of out-of-focus areas (aka bokeh).. . .
SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

personally I have had both but I have kept the non WR version so I can use it with my film cameras
08-21-2022, 10:38 AM - 4 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I think the 90 is already very good by all reports. I’m not sure what you gain with either lens over the existing one since the 90 and 100 are so close in focal length. Maybe a 35 or 50 macro would be a better purchase since the different focal length will provide a different perspective.
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
You can't buy either because there is a new 100mm macro on the lens roadmap. When that comes out, the current versions will be as hopelessly out of date as my wardrobe.
I slept on it. NOT getting the Pentax 100 (either flavor). The reasons above are good, but the best is this:

I have less than 200 actuations on my K-3 III. I need to concentrate on that vs. one more almost redundant lens.
08-21-2022, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I have less than 200 actuations on my K-3 III. I need to concentrate on that vs. one more almost redundant lens.
Good choice. The Tamron 90 is one of Tamron's best lenses. The fact is, nearly all macro lenses are superb, regardless of who might have produced them.
08-22-2022, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #15

Go with the WR. So many outside images take on a whole new wow factor with water droplets added...

No need to limit yourself when you trust that your gear is sealed and weather proof.