Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2022, 07:04 PM   #1

40mm Limited: The Definitive Thread

Which 40mm f2.8 Limted should I buy for my K3?

Does anyone own both?

Is there any noticeable difference in image quality?

Can the first version handle higher megapixel cameras? (I really like the green accents to match my K3, but if the new coatings take better photos that is more important to me)

Are there any non-obvious differences between the two versions?

Will Pentax ever release a WR version?

These are my questions...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D5300  Photo 
08-21-2022, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is the HD Pentax-DA 40mm Limited, the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm Limited [ Made In Japan ] and the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm Limited [ Assembled in Vietnam ] ( no changes made between the two types of SMC 40mm Limiteds officially )

some questions for you

have you found these articles yet, they may answer some of your questions:

QuoteQuote:
HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes
Introduction
HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

QuoteQuote:
HD Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited
Introduction
Sometimes referred to as the "King of Pancakes", the HD Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited is the latest heir to the diminutive throne. But beyond the size and weight, do the optics in this truly tiny lens deserve the title?

Tracing its lineage to the 1976 SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8, the latest version has Ricoh's HD coatings, promising excellent contrast with minimal ghosting or flare. Compared to the SMC Limited variant, the HD Limited added Pentax's Super Protect coating to repel water and dust, and rounded aperture blades for smoother out-of-focus rendering. . .

Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
08-21-2022, 07:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
There is the HD Pentax-DA 40mm Limited, the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm Limited [ Made In Japan ] and the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm Limited [ Assembled in Vietnam ] ( no changes made between the two types of SMC 40mm Limiteds officially )

some questions for you

have you found these articles yet, they may answer some of your questions:

HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
I appreciate the links... This forum has a lot of information, I can't seem to decide if I should go with tbe DA Limited 40mm (in green) or the HD DA Limited 40mm (Red) – that or should I just get the 35mm Macro? Such a difficult decision.
08-21-2022, 08:08 PM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Moderator notice.

Hi folks.
Just a reminder to all that General Talk is for everything except photography related topics. Thread moved to SLR Lens Discussion forum.

Thanks.

08-21-2022, 08:11 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The main difference is flare handling and starbursts.

I own the smc version. I’ve never thought it lacked resolution:

IMGP4375_DxO by -vanya_42nd-

IMGP5112_DxO by -vanya_42nd-
08-21-2022, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi folks.
Just a reminder to all that General Talk is for everything except photography related topics. Thread moved to SLR Lens Discussion forum.

Thanks.
Thanks so much. Sorry!

---------- Post added 08-21-22 at 08:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The main difference is flare handling and starbursts.

I own the smc version. I’ve never thought it lacked resolution:

IMGP4375_DxO by -vanya_42nd-

IMGP5112_DxO by -vanya_42nd-
I have the M-series and I couldn't agree more, but sometimes AF is nice to have.

---------- Post added 08-21-22 at 08:50 PM ----------

I have the M-series and I couldn't agree more, but sometimes AF is nice to have. Fantastic shots, BTW.
08-21-2022, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #7
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pearl.ish Quote
Thanks so much. Sorry!
Most welcome, and no apologies necessary. This is a big site and it can take a little time to find your way around.

08-21-2022, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks so much. Sorry!

---------- Post added 08-21-22 at 08:49 PM ----------

I have the M-series and I couldn't agree more, but sometimes AF is nice to have.

---------- Post added 08-21-22 at 08:50 PM ----------

I have the M-series and I couldn't agree more, but sometimes AF is nice to have. Fantastic shots, BTW.
Sorry just in case it isn’t clear those are SMC DA 40 limited shots made with autofocus.

And thanks! Glad you like them.

---------- Post added 08-22-22 at 12:14 AM ----------

You should also probably consider the DA 40 XS
08-22-2022, 02:47 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

@pearl.ish

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
. . . You should also probably consider the DA 40 XS
the XS is the best lens in its class [ of one ]

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The SMC Pentax DA 40mm XS is based on the optical design of the SMC Pentax DA 40mm Limited, but its exterior is designed by Marc Newson so as to match the design of the K-01 mirrorless camera. The lens will work with Pentax DSLRs as well as with the K-01.

It is smaller being only 9.2 mm thick. The aperture blades are rounded which produces a smooth bokeh. The front element has SP coating which repels dust, water and grease and which makes it easier to wipe the front element clean.
Read more at: SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS Reviews - DA XS Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

QuoteQuote:
Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited
Introduction
Read more at: Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

seriously it is a very good lens

and if you are looking at options other than the 40mm Limiteds, there is the FA 43mm Limiteds to consider:

SMC Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited [ the original Limited lens ]

HD Pentax-FA 43mm Limited F1.9

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-FA-Lenses-c30.html
08-22-2022, 03:44 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As much as I like my DA 40mm LTD, I find myself using the DA 40mm XS much more often. This thread shows that I am not alone in my preference
08-22-2022, 05:11 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
@pearl.ish

the XS is the best lens in its class [ of one ]

Read more at: SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS Reviews - DA XS Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Read more at: Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

seriously it is a very good lens

and if you are looking at options other than the 40mm Limiteds, there is the FA 43mm Limiteds to consider:

SMC Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited [ the original Limited lens ]

HD Pentax-FA 43mm Limited F1.9

Pentax FA Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
I would consider that but part of the draw of basing my winter street photography rig around this lens and a K3 classic is that it is low cost ‐ as such it is APS-C and although it is only 3mm, that seems like it is too close on the crop.

---------- Post added 08-22-22 at 05:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
As much as I like my DA 40mm LTD, I find myself using the DA 40mm XS much more often. This thread shows that I am not alone in my preference
Well, let me know if you want to sell your Limited...
08-22-2022, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Which 40mm f2.8 Limted should I buy for my K3?

Does anyone own both?

Is there any noticeable difference in image quality?

Can the first version handle higher megapixel cameras? (I really like the green accents to match my K3, but if the new coatings take better photos that is more important to me)

Are there any non-obvious differences between the two versions?

Will Pentax ever release a WR version?

These are my questions...
I own both and learned to like them both. The only differences are the coating and the aperture blades. But image wise they produce the same colours, sharpness etc. I bought the SMC for my K-01 because I did not like the 40mm XS on that camera. But I did not like the SMC 40mm Ltd on that one either. So I bought the 40mm HD version when on offer and that is the one that now sits on my K-01. The DA 35mm F2.4 is an affordable one and I am still amazed what that lens does on the K-01 and the K-3 Mark II. It is such a good lens for the money. Just like the 40mm it is noisy and it does not have a hood included. What I later on found out that was that the SMC version delivered all the things promised on this forum when attached to my Samsung GX-10. It is very detailed and lovable colours. On this page you can read about my adventures with the 40mm Ltd's: What is the worst Pentax lens ever made? - Page 10 - PentaxForums.com . Look for post 136 and for 140. The 35mm Macro is not that cheap and if you need macro... But the 35mmF2.4 (the plastic fantastic) could do the job for you, IMNSHO it gives the looks the 40mm does, for less money. But I know, it does not look as cute as a 40mm Ltd on a K-3....

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 08-22-2022 at 02:34 PM.
08-22-2022, 07:54 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Why is that?
08-22-2022, 08:28 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
does anyone own both?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
08-22-2022, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Why is that?
I would also like to know why.

---------- Post added 08-22-22 at 09:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
The M-40/2.8 on the MX is about as good as it gets... (Unless you put it on the Ricoh XR7 hahaha)