Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2022, 09:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Should I just trash this lens?

This lens came with a K01 I bought new years ago. The worst lens I have ever had. Is there any recourse other than to just pitch it in the garbage? Here are samples at F2.8, 5.6 and F8

08-23-2022, 09:06 AM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
what lens is it?
08-23-2022, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have to say that your test conditions are far from ideal, but having said that , the lens is not exactly selling itself !

Depending on what it is, your next approach may be to check it out, it may have been cleaned and re-assembled wrongly.

Again, without knowing what it is, the approach is difficult to assess
08-23-2022, 09:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I have to say that your test conditions are far from ideal, but having said that , the lens is not exactly selling itself !

Depending on what it is, your next approach may be to check it out, it may have been cleaned and re-assembled wrongly.

Again, without knowing what it is, the approach is difficult to assess
Pentax DA 40 XS. I assume the lens was new since it came as part of a new K01 package

08-23-2022, 09:42 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
Pentax DA 40 XS. I assume the lens was new since it came as part of a new K01 package
Typically that’s a good lens. Are your other images from that camera sharp? I know there’s no need for fine focus adjustment using CDAF ( liveview ) which is the only focusing the k01 does - but it does seem whacky. Is the lens clear of haze?
08-23-2022, 10:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Typically that’s a good lens. Are your other images from that camera sharp? I know there’s no need for fine focus adjustment using CDAF ( liveview ) which is the only focusing the k01 does - but it does seem whacky. Is the lens clear of haze?
These were taken with my K5iis and all photos are this bad
08-23-2022, 10:24 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These were taken with my K5iis and all photos are this bad
Ah! Are any photos made with the k5iis hood (I assume they are). Af fine tuning may be the answer. Can you manually focus of use liveview to get better shots with this lens? (I have not owned a k5iis so I forget if liveview is viable on it. )

08-23-2022, 10:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Ah! Are any photos made with the k5iis hood (I assume they are). Af fine tuning may be the answer. Can you manually focus of use liveview to get better shots with this lens? (I have not owned a k5iis so I forget if liveview is viable on it. )
No hood and even photos taken with sunlight behind me are this bad. Auto focus and manual focus
08-23-2022, 10:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Should I just trash this lens?
or keep the lens for parts. Not sure if the mount on that lens is plastic or metal. The metal mount can be unscrewed and used for DIY project(s).
08-23-2022, 10:55 AM - 4 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I assume the lens was dropped or somehow damaged in a way to make the focal plane uneven, objects on the right side of the frame appear softer or OOF.

I would not recommend trashed it, I had my DA 40mm XS repaired for a reasonable price at my local camera store, now it's one of my most used lenses on a K-5, KP, even my K-1. There is a thread demonstrating just how good of a lens it can be
08-23-2022, 11:54 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K 01 has not been in production for nine years. The lens my have been new hen. It is not now.
08-23-2022, 12:17 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No hood and even photos taken with sunlight behind me are this bad. Auto focus and manual focus
Whoops. Typo got me! I was asking if other lenses made good photos on the same body.

Manual focus rules out a lot of issues. Any hazing in the lens? You can always sell it with known defects fully disclosed.
08-23-2022, 12:37 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
While I like the suggestion of having it fixed, I wonder how that would be accomplished for less than the lens would cost to replace.

The DA 40 XS is an interesting lens and I also like sample images that I see from it. Maybe robski's shop could be contacted about it to see if they can have a go without breaking the bank.
08-23-2022, 01:04 PM   #14
Pentaxian

If I was testing the lens I would use center point AF area focusing and continuous AF mode on a single subject and see what results I would get. The depth of field being used would also factor in somewhat. I noticed the third shot which has a fair amount of depth is taking on detail more than the two first shots. Of course F 2.8 and F 5.6 are capable of detail, so if are finding the results from those settings inferior you may want to have it evaluated by a professional for a diagnosis if there is one. You could check and see if a consultation diagnosis prior to a possible repair is free or not.

Last edited by C_Jones; 08-23-2022 at 01:11 PM.
08-23-2022, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This lens came with a K01 I bought new years ago. The worst lens I have ever had. Is there any recourse other than to just pitch it in the garbage? Here are samples at F2.8, 5.6 and F8

The first and second images appear to show motion blur, but the third image seems soft to the right.
Can you post EXIF data for those images?