Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2022, 08:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Is there a way to tighten a loose zoom ring?

My old DA 16-45 is a great lens but the zoom ring on mine has become pretty loose
not just extended outward but somewhat loose all the way
in. Not the ring itself but the 2 tubes Is there a fix for this?

08-26-2022, 09:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
My old DA 16-45 is a great lens but the zoom ring on mine has become pretty loose
not just extended outward but somewhat loose all the way
in. Not the ring itself but the 2 tubes Is there a fix for this?
If you mean they sag, I’m not aware of any specific easy fix.
08-27-2022, 07:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

From your description it looks more like a wobbly inner barrel than a loose zoom. I do not know if there is a fix for it, it just seems to occur with certain lenses. I have DA 17-70 SDM and HD 55-300 zooms and both have inner barrels that became wobbly and loose over time even though I handled them carefully and never bumped them. More recently I replaced them with the DA 16-85 and 55-300 PLM zooms. Neither one of them have any inner barrel wobble, sag or looseness even though I have used them much longer and under more demanding conditions than their two predecessors which I don't use anymore.It just seems some lenses are more prone to this than others. I also have a DA 70 Limited which I bought used. It also has a loose wobbly inner barrel but It does not appear to have any adverse impact on image quality.
A loose zoom would exhibit what is referred to as zoom creep where the lens barrel will extend outward from a fully retracted position to a fully extended position on its own especially when the camera is held with the lens pointed down. This issue did affect the 17-70 SDM but not any of my other zoom lenses. Reading lens reviews this can be a common issue with some zooms.

Last edited by jddwoods; 08-27-2022 at 07:17 AM.