Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2008, 05:53 PM   #16
Site Supporter

So it's clear for everyone...

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Does this apply to ALL * lenses? As in A* F* FA* as well? Or merely DA*?

DA* lenses - weather sealed. That's it, that's all.

A* and FA* lenses - no weather sealing.

12-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote

DA* lenses - weather sealed. That's it, that's all.

A* and FA* lenses - no weather sealing.

Not exactly:

QuoteQuote:
The PENTAX-original SP (Super Protect) coating repels dust, water and grease to keep your lens clean and your image quality at its peak.
Whether that include the inner elements or not is another story. I can also see the "sealed" lens being more of a problems should part of the sealing become compromised or worn out and actually trap moisture, but that would be more likely to be an issue with DA* zoom lenses than primes.

PENTAX DA Star Telephoto Lens for Digital SLRs and Compacts: smc PENTAX DA Star 300mm F4 ED(IF) SDM
12-21-2008, 06:17 PM   #18
Site Supporter

I understand your comment, and your quote is somewhat misleading:

QuoteQuote:
The PENTAX-original SP (Super Protect) coating repels dust, water and grease to keep your lens clean and your image quality at its peak.
IMO, that is splicing hairs on a product statement, which refers to the coatings on the front element of a non DA* lens, correct? I'm referring to the DA* line being "weather sealed" - that is the entire lens (barrel, lens mount, etc.), not just the front element...

I agree with you on the durability, and I suspect I'd be more leery of zoom's too. It's hard to tell how long those seals will last! Of course, like anything mechanical, it can wear out and may need some maintenance.

Regards,
Marc
12-21-2008, 06:30 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's Pentax's quote. There are other things in there article that are somewhat misleading.