Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: RSM, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 277
Sealed or not Sealed?

That is the question.

I'm sure this topic has been brought up several times, and to be honest I am looking for a quick answer as opposed to diving into the internet to find my answer. While I'm at it, I guess a friendly hello is appropriate.

What I am wanting to know, is how do you know quickly whether or not which Pentax lens is sealed or not? (really the newer lenses I am concerned with).

Thanks all,

Carl

12-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 62
As far as I'm aware only the DA*s are weather sealed.
12-20-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
That is the question.

I'm sure this topic has been brought up several times, and to be honest I am looking for a quick answer as opposed to diving into the internet to find my answer. While I'm at it, I guess a friendly hello is appropriate.

What I am wanting to know, is how do you know quickly whether or not which Pentax lens is sealed or not? (really the newer lenses I am concerned with).

Thanks all,

Carl
DA* are the only lenses that are dust/weather sealed. Note the *.
12-20-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member
TourDeForce's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 512
DA* lenses are weather sealed. The * in the name tells you it's weather sealed.


Last edited by TourDeForce; 12-20-2008 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Fix incomplete statement
12-20-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member
ftpaddict's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Yurp
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,669
QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
The * in the name tells you it's weather sealed.
Does this apply to ALL * lenses? As in A* F* FA* as well? Or merely DA*?
12-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Does this apply to ALL * lenses? As in A* F* FA* as well? Or merely DA*?
It only applies to the DA*. The reason I know is that I have been looking into some FA* lenses.
12-20-2008, 05:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member
TourDeForce's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 512
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Does this apply to ALL * lenses? As in A* F* FA* as well? Or merely DA*?
Thank you. Lost my mind for a moment & have fixed my post.
12-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member
roentarre's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 11,794
Weather sealed lenses are only that useful when you really enjoy taking images in severe weather. Or you do travel photography all the time that you want an ease of mind. Otherwise, most lenses are pretty much weather resistant.

12-20-2008, 06:28 PM   #9
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Weather sealed lenses are only that useful when you really enjoy taking images in severe weather. Or you do travel photography all the time that you want an ease of mind. Otherwise, most lenses are pretty much weather resistant.
The DA* are also nitrogen filled which goes a long way helping keep fungi at bay.
12-20-2008, 07:24 PM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: RSM, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 277
Original Poster
You guys totally jam here, my oh my! I didn't expect any replies till tomorrow at least yet, come in and wham.

THANK YOU.

Carl
12-20-2008, 07:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,915
thing is if you really really need weathersealing, it's probably weather so nasty you wouldn't want to be out anyways. sprinkling rain or snow won't kill your camera.
12-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: RSM, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 277
Original Poster
I agree that in most circumstances it isn't needed, and even in harsh ones probably not completely necessary. However...

One of the reasons I wanted to get the K20 alongside my other equipment is for peace of mind in the elements. I am going to be doing some really deep hikes in weather prone area soon for a photography project coming up early 09'. While I could bring my other gear and keep it under my gortex shell, I'd rather not, and be free to shoot if needed in the rain. Not to mention keeping it on a tripod during some weather and triggering it with the remote for lightning or other such activity. In essence, I want to feel free to do whatever type of photography I'd like with out worry of sandstorm or water.

Carl
12-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #13
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
thing is if you really really need weathersealing, it's probably weather so nasty you wouldn't want to be out anyways. sprinkling rain or snow won't kill your camera.
Well, it also depends on the humidity following the rain etc. Late July and August in Florida can be brutal.
12-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The DA* are also nitrogen filled which goes a long way helping keep fungi at bay.
That may be true for weather sealed binoculars but I don't believe there is any nitrogen sealing is the case with the DA* lenses nor the fungus resistance.

The lenses have some rubber gaskets and O rings at key places.
12-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #15
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
That may be true for weather sealed binoculars but I don't believe there is any nitrogen sealing is the case with the DA* lenses nor the fungus resistance.

The lenses have some rubber gaskets and O rings at key places.
Even without the nitrogen, Just keeping the fungal spores out will prevent fungal growth unless there is a seal failure.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
answer, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just re-sealed my MV Gashog Pentax Film SLR Discussion 9 10-25-2010 04:29 PM
Sigma SD1 weather sealed, maybe weather sealed Sigma Lenses too? trd300gt Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 0 09-21-2010 10:12 PM
Sealed box for K7? Jon in SC Pentax DSLR Discussion 20 04-01-2010 11:35 AM
Canon 7D Weather Sealed? Samsungian Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 16 12-25-2009 08:26 AM
Weather Sealed Teleconverters domfijac Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 04-11-2009 06:59 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:31 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top