Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2022, 02:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

First impressions of Pentax M35-70mm F2.8-3.5

I've only had a chance to play around with it little bit .It seems capable of taking very sharp images but
my problem is focusing. I used my K01 with focus peaking but this zoom lens seems more difficult
to focus than my other prime M lenses

08-29-2022, 08:01 PM   #2

I don't have a K01 but putting old zooms on my M43, using magnify focus is easier than the focus peaking.
08-29-2022, 09:41 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love mine, it is such a great lens on digital. On my relative's Fujifilm body, I do have problems with focus peaking as well, though I have never had problems focusing on my K bodies.
08-30-2022, 01:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
I've only had a chance to play around with it little bit .It seems capable of taking very sharp images but
my problem is focusing. I used my K01 with focus peaking but this zoom lens seems more difficult
to focus than my other prime M lenses
Perhaps another camera than your K-01? I blame the K-01, not the lens. I use the K-01 exclusively with AF because MF is a horror scenario.

08-30-2022, 02:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The reason it can be difficult is because of contrast. If the contrast is lower it'll be harder to tell when it is critically in focus since the camera realistically is just displaying its contrast detection. For lenses like this I recommend to turn off peaking and to press the "ok" button to zoom in to focus. With practice you can get very quick at this. In my experience this has nothing to do with the k-01, it's just how peaking works.

---------- Post added 08-30-22 at 05:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Perhaps another camera than your K-01? I blame the K-01, not the lens. I use the K-01 exclusively with AF because MF is a horror scenario.
You have said this before but I don't understand. In terms of live view manual focusing the K-01 was a massive step up in the pentax lineup and to me is similar in DNA to their modern offerings.
08-30-2022, 08:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
You have said this before but I don't understand. In terms of live view manual focusing the K-01 was a massive step up in the pentax lineup and to me is similar in DNA to their modern offerings.
Maybe you have a point: You challenged me so I took out my K-01 especially for this occasion. I have always attached a 40mm ltd to it and started with that one. Focusing with magnifying works wonders, even I am amazed. But after a number of successful attempts I mounted an A 28-80mm to it and then the horror began. It is almost in possible to focus to sharp and keep it that way. That was also my experience of old, works with primes and with a good prime it is a song. But at the time I bought the K-01 most of my lenses were zooms. I just does not work. It was so disappointing I stopped using the K-01 with manual lenses/focusing altogether. So in this case Robert used a zoom and then I thought, "just what I came across". A zoom on the K-01 is difficult, but on any OVF camera manual focusing with a zoom works very well. EVF of the K-01 is very bright, clear and has a large screen and that makes easier to focus manually. So maybe I was a bit generalizing due to old experiences....
08-30-2022, 09:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Maybe you have a point: You challenged me so I took out my K-01 especially for this occasion. I have always attached a 40mm ltd to it and started with that one. Focusing with magnifying works wonders, even I am amazed. But after a number of successful attempts I mounted an A 28-80mm to it and then the horror began. It is almost in possible to focus to sharp and keep it that way. That was also my experience of old, works with primes and with a good prime it is a song. But at the time I bought the K-01 most of my lenses were zooms. I just does not work. It was so disappointing I stopped using the K-01 with manual lenses/focusing altogether. So in this case Robert used a zoom and then I thought, "just what I came across". A zoom on the K-01 is difficult, but on any OVF camera manual focusing with a zoom works very well. EVF of the K-01 is very bright, clear and has a large screen and that makes easier to focus manually. So maybe I was a bit generalizing due to old experiences....
I have found it easier to use this lens on my K5IIS and just use focus confirmation

09-01-2022, 04:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
I have found it easier to use this lens on my K5IIS and just use focus confirmation
I agree with you that a prime is easier to work with on the K-01 , than a zoom, as you stated in your initial and your last post.