Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2006, 07:31 PM   #1

Have you used this lens?

Already planning on purchasing one of the K10D but am looking at lens over 300mm. Anyone used the Sigma 50-500mm and if so what is your opion?

Dave

10-18-2006, 06:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm also considering >300mm lens, so would love to hear other people's opinions.
10-18-2006, 08:57 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two great picks are the FA 80-320mm F4-5.6 and the A 400mm F5.6. The zoom's really compact and decently sharp, but you can't beat the 400mm prime

You should seriously consider buying it if you come by one- it's even got a tripod mount!

*Thread moved to the lens forum*

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-19-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The Bigma was recently discussed here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=20307872
and here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=20518594

good luck,

10-26-2006, 12:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Don't forget to consider mirror lenses. I have a very sharp Sigma 600mm f8, and I 've read that Tamron has a good one (if correct it's 500mm). I know that there are users who will immediately mention the doughnut effect, and this can be an issue with highlights in the background, but often this is not much of a problem at all, and some people don't even mind these effects. Prices for used copies on eBay are very reasonable.
02-15-2007, 12:51 PM   #6

A bit late but what they hey....

The BIGMA is a really really nice lens. It's very sharp and quite responsive on the AF. I've never experienced any problems with it.

Due to it's weight you really must consider using it with a tripod or monopod. A good tripod with a gimbal would probably be best. Some people have found good results using it handheld but unless you have forearms like Popeye I wouldn't recommend it.

The only downside is that at the longer zoom lengths the effective aperture falls off and is down to 6.3 at 500mm. If you can live with that it's decent enough.

Also Sigma sell a 2x convertor making it a whopping 100-1000mm !
02-15-2007, 01:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K 500/4.5

buy old SMC K 500/4.5 - amazing lens