Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2008, 08:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

some questions re old 50mm...

1. When I use my old 50mm with shake reduction, it asks for the focal length. Should I be putting 50mm (the real length), or the digital equivalent?? If the latter, what should I be putting in??

2. When using this lense, everything seems in focus, I even get the green hexagon, which is also in focus, yet when I pull the image(s) up on the camera and on the computer, they aren't in focus..thoughts??

I had some other questions, but they slipped my mind when I started typing the others, hopefully they'll come back to me soon...

12-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
1. Set the SR to 50mm

2. Focus confirm isn't always perfect, especially at really wide apertures. You will need to pull up some focus charts to find out if your body is focusing badly enough that it needs to be sent in for an adjustment.
12-21-2008, 08:37 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Hi Kirk
I also have an old 50 (SMC-A 50 1.7) and I always enter 50 for the S/R info as it IS the actual focal length. The image appears to be that of a 75mm in the 35 format due to the crop factor.
Your 18mm doesn't come out "fish-eye" does it???
As for the focus issue, I have similar problems on occaision. However they only appear when I am using close focal ranges and wide apertures. My guess is that the DOF is so small, that SOMETHING is in focus, but not all the picture so it appears that the whole thing is out of focus.
12-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Aye it's what they said already.

12-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
1. Set the SR to 50mm

2. Focus confirm isn't always perfect, especially at really wide apertures. You will need to pull up some focus charts to find out if your body is focusing badly enough that it needs to be sent in for an adjustment.
QuoteOriginally posted by stgmgr Quote
Hi Kirk
I also have an old 50 (SMC-A 50 1.7) and I always enter 50 for the S/R info as it IS the actual focal length. The image appears to be that of a 75mm in the 35 format due to the crop factor.
Your 18mm doesn't come out "fish-eye" does it???
As for the focus issue, I have similar problems on occaision. However they only appear when I am using close focal ranges and wide apertures. My guess is that the DOF is so small, that SOMETHING is in focus, but not all the picture so it appears that the whole thing is out of focus.
Thanks guys, I've been setting it to 50mm, just wanted to make sure...Actually, with my kit 18-55 lens, I do notice some lens curve at the outer edges on some pics, but not enough to really worry me...
I think stgmgr hit it on the head for #2, I love a low aperature, but I usually try to snag portraits of my dogs, so, while they're eyes and foreheads are in focus, their nose and ears are not..didn't even occure to me thanks for pointing that out
Any quick links for printable focus charts, or are they readily available on google, or is this something that needs to be purchased??