Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2022, 12:06 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pearl.ish Quote
I haven't yet tried the Pentax Limited 35mm Macro, but I might be able to trade for one in town and then I am sure that it will be sharper than the A35/2... But will it have the handling? Is the relatively small difference in IQ and overall sharpness worth it for that sweet manual focus experience?

Now, this is something only you can decide. If the A35 already does hands-down magic for you, you may not need the 35 Limited Macro. However, for its considerable closeup capabilities in a Limited standard, with all that means for build and rendering, you might still want it.

09-09-2022, 12:25 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Ah, but favourite doesn't mean best.

Best movie: Citizen Kane. Favourite movie: Casablanca.
Best novel: Moby Dick. Favourite novel: The Sun Also Rises.
Best restaurant meal: Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons. Favourite restaurant meal: Big Mac and fries.
Best fu. . . yeah, I should probably stop here.
That is just "semantics".
09-09-2022, 12:45 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
... the A-series 35mm f2 is "the pinnacle of Pentax lens engineering? What?

Neither really interests me on a digital crop body. But on full frame a well performing 40mm optic in an extremely compact lens housing is awesome stuff. The 35 doesn't seem so interesting.
09-09-2022, 12:48 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
That is just "semantics".

I beg to differ. It's nuance, coupled with a great sense of humour.

The sentiment may even have found some expression in two different lines of lenses: Star (Pentax's best)* vs. Limited (many Pentaxians' favourite lenses). So, it would seem the product managers and designers behind those lenses dig it.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 09-09-2022 at 12:54 PM.
09-09-2022, 01:14 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
... the A-series 35mm f2 is "the pinnacle of Pentax lens engineering? What?

Neither really interests me on a digital crop body. But on full frame a well performing 40mm optic in an extremely compact lens housing is awesome stuff. The 35 doesn't seem so interesting.
Ignorance is bliss... Have you ever compared the Konica 40mm 1.8 to the Pentax 40mm offerings?

---------- Post added 09-09-22 at 01:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It still is not clear to me how you are comparing these lenses.

I used the Pentax-A 50mm F1.7 that was kitted with my “Super Program” for most of the twelve plus years I used that film camera.
When I purchased the K-30, I used that lens with the K-30, and was surprised to discover that the lens was sharper than even Kodachrome25 could show.
The lubrication in that lens has since dried and will no longer focus to infinity, so I no longer use it,
but I was happy to put hand focusing mostly behind me in any case {now I do hand focus sometimes when I use some film lenses on my K-30}.
I still think the 20-40mm Ltd works “fine” on my KP.
Are you using detail, color, bokeh, ……. to rate lenses?
Detail, color, bokeh, handling, build quality – the A35/2 beats the 40mm Limited in all of those areas.
09-09-2022, 01:25 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does the A series 35 f2 use a plastic aperture ring that breaks down like the A 50 f1.7 and a number of other lenses from that series? I think the DA 40 Ltd would beat the other lens for build quality.

Let's see some side by side test shots for "detail, color, bokeh" comparisons.

The Konica AR mount 40 f1.8 does interest me enough to consider getting a Konica camera to shoot with. But I don't want another film camera system kicking around, really, and I don't want a 40mm lens on a crop body. So I've never gotten that close to owning one. I would love to see that lens in a K-mount derivative but that's not going to happen.
09-09-2022, 01:42 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ignorance is bliss... Have you ever compared the Konica 40mm 1.8 to the Pentax 40mm offerings?

---------- Post added 09-09-22 at 01:16 PM ----------

Detail, color, bokeh, handling, build quality – the A35/2 beats the 40mm Limited in all of those areas.
Is this the kind of image you use to judge lens quality?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3-k-3-ii/241198-k3-sample-shots-post-here-post5614651.html

09-09-2022, 02:35 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the A series 35 f2 use a plastic aperture ring that breaks down like the A 50 f1.7 and a number of other lenses from that series?
I struggled with that aperture ring for over twelve years on my “A” 50mm F/1.7, but it still functioned when the lubrication is what finally gave out.
As I have committed several times, I was amazed how good it looked when I used it on my K-30.
09-09-2022, 03:19 PM   #24
Pentaxian

How many Pentax lenses do you own?
Fourteen
09-09-2022, 04:32 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I struggled with that aperture ring for over twelve years on my “A” 50mm F/1.7, but it still functioned when the lubrication is what finally gave out.
As I have committed several times, I was amazed how good it looked when I used it on my K-30.
Oh yeah, the A 50 f1.7 is a nice looking lens, too bad that AOC decided to start cheapening the build. I've got one of these as well and the ring is quite screwed up. I should spend time fixing it.... but I'm too busy shooting with my M 50 f1.7 to bother.

There's some great glass mentioned in this thread. I'm not sure why such a strange "comparison/discussion" was launched.
09-09-2022, 04:40 PM   #26

Original Poster
Does the A series 35 f2 use a plastic aperture ring that breaks down like the A 50 f1.7 and a number of other lenses from that series? I think the DA 40 Ltd would beat the other lens for build quality.

Let's see some side by side test shots for "detail, color, bokeh" comparisons.

The Konica AR mount 40 f1.8 does interest me enough to consider getting a Konica camera to shoot with. But I don't want another film camera system kicking around, really, and I don't want a 40mm lens on a crop body. So I've never gotten that close to owning one. I would love to see that lens in a K-mount derivative but that's not going to happen.
Build quality isn't as important as image quality, but the build on the nicer A lenses is no problem for me.
It does have the same less metal than the M-Series aperture ring mechanism as the other Pentax-A lenses – lucky for me I only use my 'A' glass on my K3 and as such it is not a major concern for me. The M glass is for film, and my M-28/2 ends up on my MX most days.

Definitely know what you are referring to though - I also have an A/50/1.7 in my Pentax K3 kit that has an inconsistent aperture ring, but I have found as long as I keep them in the 'A' position everything is fine. I don't think they are as plasticky on their nicer lenses though (like on my A/50/1.4 the ring is less janky than either the A/50/2 or A/50/1.7 according to my anecdotal report) – even my A/28/2.8 (which I sold immediately along with it's M-series compadre as soon as I got the M-28/2) had a more plastic feeling aperture ring.

The Konica 40mm f1.8 was my go-to standard lens on Fuji for awhile... I love that lens so much, I wish I wanted to use my A7R3 more so I could experience the true 40mm focal length and that amazing lens. One day I will find a cheap full frame mirrorless camera that is fun to use on the street and that will be the lens for me on that puppy. Until that day, I only bust it out once in awhile since I sold my XT3 and came back to Pentax.

One of my favorite vintage lens Youtubers did an excellent review comparing the 40mm 1.8 with the Voigtländer 40mm 1.4 and it did very well against it. Somehow, the price hasn't really gone up on the Konica yet, but it will eventually hit $200. Haha.

Last edited by pearl.ish; 09-09-2022 at 04:47 PM.
09-11-2022, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

The Pentax A 35mm f2 is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than the Pentax 40mm f2.8 Limited...

The two lenses aren't even in the same stratosphere.
The DA40/2.8 Ltd is, if I'm not mistaken, is a refit of the M40/2.8 into a nicer suit of clothes.
The A35/2.8 is pretty much an M35/2.8 in a tuxedo.
The 40 was designed to be a lens cap on the ME series of bodies, making a pocketable SLR camera.
It's primary design parameter was small, so everything else was compromised to a certain extent.
I don't think the 40 Ltd is much more than a novelty. It's an OK lens, but that's about it, and it's has no ergonomics. I like cradling the lens with my left hand, and the 40 gives nothing to cradle.

I have the A35/2.8 and found it to be excellent in every way. It's imaging qualities are as good as any Pentax lens in its range from what ive seen, including coming very close to the 31Ltd in rendering quality.
It's a superb lens. I'm on your side on this one.
09-11-2022, 08:00 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Veteran Member

Evidently quite few here find it useful and appropriate to kick around quality comparisons, actually quite small, between several prime lenses of different focal lengths, each capable of delivering exceptional image quality. For me this borders on pointless, because of the differences of FL and the kinds of attending use differences. I have the DA 40mm f/2.8 Ltd, FA 43mm f1.8, and the FA 35mm f/2, which I have found so useful I recently also acquired the HD version soon after getting my K-1 II. Actually, I was not using the 35mm f/2 or FA 43mm Ltd very much at all since my 35mm film shooting days, until getting the K-1 II.

On APS-C the functional differences between 35mm and 40mm are too far apart for comparison as I see things. Effectively, 35mm is a standard FOV, no WA or tele, while its f/2 capability and very good performance even wide open makes it a fine fast standard prime lens. 40mm comes out as a short tele when wanting some tele but with more fitting into the frame, or for half-body portraits and the like. It is also uncommonly tiny in size. A fast 50mm lens on APS-C is functionally fine for head & shoulder tighter portraits and the like. A very good moderate tele choice. Beats the cost of having the FA 77mm f/1.8 on a FF body.

On a FF body, this all changes. No tele effect at all. The FA 35mm f/2 is a fast, moderate WA lens, making for very versatile all-around WA use with excellent performance even wide open. The FA 43mm Ltd is great on a FF body as a fast normal lens that lets more into the frame over a 50mm lens, for more versatility of use, and accurate front-to-back perspective for many scenes. I prefer either of these over a 50mm lens for FF use. The DA 40mm lets a little more into the frame, but is of a much slower f/2.8 aperture.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-11-2022 at 08:06 PM.
09-11-2022, 09:56 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The DA40/2.8 Ltd is, if I'm not mistaken, is a refit of the M40/2.8 into a nicer suit of clothes.

The DA40 Limited inherits the basic design goal, but it does employ a newly calculated optical design, while retaining the 5-elements-in-4 groups approach.
09-12-2022, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

While I only own the 40mm xs I can say that if I were to shoot these lenses side by side I doubt I'd be able to see that much of a difference. the 35 f2 might win out at 2.8 a little bit I'd guess but stopped down at all they'd be near identical outside of the slight difference in FL. Unless you have a decentered copy I'm unsure how it could be so obvious.