Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2022, 05:06 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by schnur07 Quote
I'm considering upgrading to the K3 III, but holy crap it's expensive. From what I've read the AF on it is much better, higher frame rate and does better in low light. Anybody have experience with the K3 III vs the KP?
It's as you described. Most camera bodies are incremental, the K-3 iii is a significant step forward.

09-23-2022, 10:31 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by schnur07 Quote
I'm considering upgrading to the K3 III, but holy crap it's expensive. From what I've read the AF on it is much better, higher frame rate and does better in low light. Anybody have experience with the K3 III vs the KP?
I "upgraded" to the K-3iii from my KP for the improved a/f and yes, it's better, very much better.
However, there are a hatful of options and various selection modes that you'll need to work through to optimise the performance for your requirements, it's very unlikely to be best for you straight out of the box!
I use burst mode very rarely, so no real comment, except that if I'm using AF-C it's very noticeably slower than in AF-S, but that may be down to my (relatively) slow "bigma" at f/6.3 … I'd anticipate an f/5.6 or wider lens to do better, but I've not done a comparison test.
As for low light performance, in my view there's not a lot in it, they're both very good, and there's only 1 stop sensitivity between the two models, unlike the step up from the K-70, but I'm notoriously "noise resistant"
09-27-2022, 08:43 AM   #18
dlhawes

I use the Canon 90d for birds. Works just fine; sort of an in-between with respect to the KP & K3III. Gear's important, but technique is more important.
By the way, the custom drive mode options are good for storing alternate settings, such as whether you're using single-shot or continuous AF. I have one set up for flying birds, with faster shutter speeds, the full-auto trigger, smaller aperture, & 9-point auto continuous AF, another for sitting birds, slower shutter speeds, larger aperture, single-shot, & single point AF.