Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Days Ago   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rokinon/Samyang Lens

I've got a $250 amazon gift certificate sitting unused and stumbled across these brands while looking at the PF Price Watch section.
I see a Fisheye 8mm F3.5 (I have a Zenitar 17mm that produces some pretty good effects on my cropped K10D) and then an 85mm F1.4 all priced fairly low in comparison to the name brands,

I love my Pentax 50mm F1.4 FA lens, could I potentially love the 85mm off brand?

Anyone with any experience? I did some searching and see they are considered "lower-end"

Thanks

Jesse

For reference:
amazon.com : Rokinon HD HD8M-P 8mm f/3.5 HD Fisheye Lens with Removable Hood for Pentax : Camera Lenses : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&
amazon.com : Rokinon 85M-P 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical Lens for Pentax (Black) : Camera Lenses : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

6 Days Ago   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't offer feedback on the 85mm lens but I have found the Rokinon 8mm lens very useful for interior architecture photos. My copy is reasonably sharp and provided one does to try for too wide an aperture, it provides a very useful image. Of course, it's really only good on APS-C, but I use it on the K-1ii and while I need to crop off the vignetting, it still gives a good result.

You may wish to look at this comparison for other's point of view: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/ultra-wide-showdown/introduction.html
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Rokinon 85mm and I have to be honest I have not used it anywhere near as much as I had hoped to. I don't really have any complaints with image quality. Wide open it's a little soft but not terrible, though it will purple fringe something fierce in the wrong conditions until you stop it down a bit - not unlike your FA 50. From about f2-f2.8 it's pretty good. The big challenge is of course manual focus which is why it doesn't see as much use as I intended and I eventually bought the FA77. I did an outdoor shoot with my kids a couple years ago with only that lens and I did manage to nail focus on most of the images but it takes time and patience. The images turned out beautifully.
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I own the 8mm (the version with a fixed hood) fisheye in question. I enjoyed the lens until I got the DA 10-17.

Amazon has an open box copy for $197 right now. I would take that before buying the 8mm personally. Thereís nothing wrong with the 8mm at all. The 10-17 is just a more interesting lens overall.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 6 Days Ago at 05:22 AM.
6 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had both the 8mm fisheye and the 85/1.4 - both are great lenses....

I sold the 8mm because I have the the DA10-17 fisheye, and (as stated above) it's simply a better lens....

I loved the 85/1.4 - beautiful colors, wonderful bokeh, nice build quality - but sold it when I bought my SMC A* 85/1.4... simply no comparison there....
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Holy crap $197 open box -- And I can return it if it's really beat to crap --- I think I'm sold

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I own the 8mm (the version with a fixed hood) fisheye in question. I enjoyed the lens until I got the DA 10-17.

Amazon has an open box copy for $197 right now. I would take that before buying the 8mm personally. Thereís nothing wrong with the 8mm at all. The 10-17 is just a more interesting lens overall.

---------- Post added 09-21-2022 at 09:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I've had both the 8mm fisheye and the 85/1.4 - both are great lenses....

I sold the 8mm because I have the the DA10-17 fisheye, and (as stated above) it's simply a better lens....

I loved the 85/1.4 - beautiful colors, wonderful bokeh, nice build quality - but sold it when I bought my SMC A* 85/1.4... simply no comparison there....
Ok pepperberry and uncle vanya - my DA10-17 is on the way - now dumb question but how/what kind of filter do I get to protect it?
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never used a filter on my copy - in fact, unless it is the newer version, there isn't a way to mount a filter on it...

6 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It seems you've solved your problem

But in case you have this question again...

I have the Rokinon 85mm f1.4, and it is just the trick for how I use it.
I'd always wanted an 85mm lens, and when I was looking the Pentax ones were not easy to come by at a price for "experimenting"

Having the lens, I don't use it often, but often enough that it was a good value.

It is soft wide open, but in that dreamy, portrait lens kind of way, so that's fine. Anything smaller than f2 and it is nice and sharp.
It is functionally an "A" lens, so it talks to the electronics for exposure and P-TTL flash. That's nice. It also works very well on old film cameras thanks to the aperture ring.

I will note I have issues nailing focus, not because it's hard to focus, but because I tend to move...
Focused on a still subject with the camera on a tripod, I never have problems, but I will often sway while shooting closeup portraits... or the subject will move a bit, and wide open the area of focus is very thin.

It is also a decent landscape lens, with an interesting focal length and good sharpness.
The only real issue there is that it is quite large for a prime.

-Eric
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sig20JLB Quote
Holy crap $197 open box -- And I can return it if it's really beat to crap --- I think I'm sold

---------- Post added 09-21-2022 at 09:23 AM ----------

Ok pepperberry and uncle vanya - my DA10-17 is on the way - now dumb question but how/what kind of filter do I get to protect it?
I donít use a filter on mine.
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the 8mm FE with foxed hood. The later versions have a removable hood to use on full frame with a circular image.

I also have the 14/2.8 and 85/1.4.

All are great lenses and the coatings are quite good. The only point I can make is that the 14 has some barrel distortion, it is not a true rectilinear lens. It might be an issue for interior shots.

Check out the Sam Yang lens club and the sample image archive for shots.

You will like what you see