Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2022, 07:56 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax Reverse Ring Light Holder K located

For the obsessive-compulsive Pentax collector:

Lucked into this in the box with instructions. If you have never heard of this, it was made for attaching a ring flash to the back of a reverse-mounted lens. My copy has instructions printed 3/1982, and demonstrates using the AF080C ring flash. I haven't tried to check if it works with their very last ring flash, the AF160FC, thats for later.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
09-22-2022, 08:09 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had no idea there was such a thing. Very cool.
09-23-2022, 12:49 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting the instructions, I have one but have not seen the instructions before. Yes it does work with the af160fc except that without the electronics it behaves by giving full power flash as the auto settings cannot read the lens info when reversed. Otherwise it just protects the aperture lever and give you a 49mm filter ring to screw any of the ring flashes in to. Nice find
09-23-2022, 12:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I've got an after-market version for M42 lenses … found it in a "bargain-bin" many years ago … not sure I've ever used it, but it might be useful one day

09-23-2022, 12:56 AM - 1 Like   #5

Quite a find, such a rarity. Make a good quality scan of the instructions and see about having a copy put up on pentax-manuals.com for posterity's sake.
09-23-2022, 01:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
it does work with the af160fc except that without the electronics it behaves by giving full power flash as the auto settings cannot read the lens info when reversed
You must still be able use the reduced manual levels? Otherwise, the limitations are no different from the AF080C surely?
09-23-2022, 02:29 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
You must still be able use the reduced manual levels? Otherwise, the limitations are no different from the AF080C surely?
It is really lens dependent, an aperture ring on the older macro lenses make is much easier, however any of the newer lenses apertures are electronically controlled but don't work in reverse as well as the older lenses. The PTTL has limited manual exposure options down to 1/16th power and only gives full power on any of the auto settings, generally overexposing the subject even if -5 stops is dialled in on the body exposure

09-23-2022, 05:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Didn't know such a thing existed.

In essence, it's a machined piece of metal, it wouldn't be hard to machine or 3D print something like that today with the right information for dimensions.
09-23-2022, 09:21 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now I want one! (I have both the 080c and the 160c and a lens reversing adapter).