Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2022, 03:45 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have a Tamron 90mm Macro, would adding a 35mm or 50mm Macro do anything for me?

I like my Tamron, it is a good lens but I wonder if there would be any value to me adding another macro lens of a shorter focal length.

I also have a reverse lens setup for extreme macro.

I do already have 35 and 50mm lenses but not in the macro category.

Are there things I could do with a 35 or 50 that would be better or easier than with the 90mm?

Thanks.

09-24-2022, 03:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It depends what you shoot. For bugs and the like, the 90 is best.
09-24-2022, 04:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
It depends what you shoot. For bugs and the like, the 90 is best.
I do like bugs, but I have done flowers and other objects.

I enjoy macro photography so I am wondering if a shorter focal length lens will help me explore other possibilities.

Thanks.
09-24-2022, 04:14 AM - 2 Likes   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you're talking about the DA 35 Macro Limited - buy it.. it is an exceptional lens...

even used as something other than a macro lens, it's sharp, colorful, has exceptional IQ, and the build quality is wonderful to work with....

09-24-2022, 04:20 AM - 3 Likes   #5

The shorter the lens focal length the closer you need to get to the subject for focus. In situations where you don't have much room the shorter lens have the advantage. When I was shooting some plants in a greenhouse there wasn't enough space between the rows of tables for me to get the compositions I wanted with my 100mm macro. The 50mm was perfect.

The advantage of longer focal lengths is that you can have the lens further away from the subject. Good for shy little critters that get spooked if moving objects get too close. You also have more room for lighting.

Also do any of the lenses you are considering have auto-focus? AF may not be ideal for macro work but there are always situations where is nice to have.
09-24-2022, 04:43 AM   #6
dlhawes

yes. you'll get a wider angle of view.
keeping in mind that a lens designated as "macro" really only means you can get really close anymore, ratios don't mean much. In the old days when you would be using 4x6 "film" (or a large piece of glass coated with gelatin and silver nitrate granules), then getting the subject at a 1:1 ratio on the film plane was a big deal. Now that you can take super-high resolution pictures and crop the daylights out of 'em, means that isn't as important. lenses are lenses, so I would consider alternate uses when you make your decision. Both 35mm & 50mm are both touted as great for street photography, for example.

Last edited by dlhawes; 09-24-2022 at 04:50 AM.
09-24-2022, 04:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
I do like bugs, but I have done flowers and other objects.

I enjoy macro photography so I am wondering if a shorter focal length lens will help me explore other possibilities.

Thanks.
I have seen some good prices on the Sigma 50mm EX DG and that got me thinking.

09-24-2022, 05:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The main advantage of a shorter 'macro' for me is with pets etc, where the normal lenses don't focus quite close enough, and the 90mm is a bit too long as the critters get close
09-24-2022, 05:14 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have four macros - the 35mm ltd, FA 50 mm, DFA 100mm, Irix 150. I love them all and would never give any of them up. I can't say that I have a favorite, obviously the 100 and 150 are best for insects. However, the 35 and the 50 are so versatile, I always bring one or the other with me wherever I go. They are so good for flower and nature shots, as well as street and architectural photography. The FA 50 is a great value and is pretty common on the used lens sites for under $200 USD.
09-24-2022, 06:15 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Perhaps you never thought of this: You have the 18-55 WR and it is also usable as a macro (more or less). When I started out with my first DSLR I had the first version of the 18-55 and in the manual this feature was indicated. So I tried it out and it works. It is that part on the distance scale between 0.25m and 0.35m. And you can use that with all focal lengths of that lens. Many a time I have used this feature to make a kind of macro picture with this lens. You can experiment and maybe discover if a shorter focal length might work for you. What also is nice of that lens that the macro also works rather good with AF. I have an F 100mm macro lens and with AF it is a bit difficult and MF works better. With the 18-55 I tried both AF and MF and both gave good results.
Hope this helps.
09-24-2022, 06:27 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The main difference besides working distance is perspective. The background using the different focal lengths will be quite different. This is more apparent when you are at less than 1:1 but you can see differences depending on the specifics of the subject.

I can’t find any good example articles right now but this one illustrates the working distance factors well:

Working with Different Focal Lengths for Macro Photography
09-24-2022, 06:29 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Perhaps you never thought of this: You have the 18-55 WR and it is also usable as a macro (more or less). . . .
well as they say: " the devil is in the details "

I define a macro lens as one capable of 1:1 on a full frame sensor

I agree with the other comments on the " distance from target " of macro lenses depending on focal length

I have the:

SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
SMC Pentax-D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro
SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro non wr

articles that might be of interest:
QuoteQuote:
The Pentax Macro eBook
In-depth coverage of Pentax macro and close-up accessories
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Sep 18, 2021
https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/pentax-macro-accessory-ebook.html#page_1

This article l discusses the 18-55 vs dedicated macro lens

QuoteQuote:
The Advantages of a Dedicated Macro Lens
Achieving lift-size magnification
By PF Staff in Tutorial Videos on Apr 4, 2016
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/tutorial-videos/18-55mm-kit-vs-a-dedic...#ixzz7foPI542y

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-24-2022 at 07:24 AM.
09-24-2022, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
well as they say: " the devil is in the details "

I define a macro lens as one capable of 1:1 on a full frame sensor
I would amend that to say capable of 1:1 on the sensor. A small sensor doesn’t change the 1:1 requirement nor does a large one. I would also suggest that 1:1 is more than most people need for interesting close focus shots and 1:2 was the standard for “macro” lenses for a while despite the definition of macro being 1:1.
09-24-2022, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I would amend that to say capable of 1:1 on the sensor. A small sensor doesn’t change the 1:1 requirement nor does a large one. . . .
Amendment accepted
09-24-2022, 07:29 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I enjoy workimg with both the Tamron 90mm and the 50mm Macro Limited. The 50mm gives you a little more depth of field, but since you have to move in so close it's sometimes harder to keep the shadow of the camera and your hand out of the frame when working in bright sun.