Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2022, 02:50 PM   #1

Pentax FA 31mm on GFX?

This may seem like an odd question on a Pentax forum, but I can't find the answer anywhere.
I'm a dedicated user of both Fuji GFX cameras and Pentax lenses. They usually work very well together.
I can put up with the slight vignetting that happens when using wider Pentax lenses, even my Super Tak 50 vignettes a little, and I like the effect.

But I'm looking to buy the FA 31mm Limited for the GFX, and I have more serious concerns because the lens hood is built-in, and doesn't come off.
This usually causes the hood to show up in every picture unless a lot of cropping is done.

So has anyone tried this lens on the GFX? Can you let me know what you got when using the full sensor 4:3?
I'm aware that the 43mm and 77mm work better on GFX.

Thanks in advance.

09-28-2022, 05:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try renting a lens, then you have the ultimate answer.
09-28-2022, 05:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My friend Stephen has shot this combo. I'll see if he has some samples, stay tuned (but from memory it works quite well, all the amigos do).
09-28-2022, 06:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks, nowhere here to rent the lens, the big camera store nearby doesn't keep these lenses in stock.
I could buy from B&H and return it, but it's not something I like to do.
Bruce, thank you, if you hear from your friend Stephen, I'd be very interested in what he says.

09-28-2022, 09:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FLM Canada Quote
Thanks, nowhere here to rent the lens, the big camera store nearby doesn't keep these lenses in stock.
I could buy from B&H and return it, but it's not something I like to do.
Bruce, thank you, if you hear from your friend Stephen, I'd be very interested in what he says.
Where are you located? Maybe a Pentax user with one could meet you so you could try it.
09-28-2022, 09:30 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Where are you located? Maybe a Pentax user with one could meet you so you could try it.
That's as good a possibility as any.
I'm in Ottawa, Ontario.
Canada.

Thanks for the suggestion.
09-28-2022, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

FA 31 vignettes a little. As Bruce Banner said, Stephen was testing all these limiteds on GFX.
Here is the link on FB

09-29-2022, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FLM Canada Quote
I have more serious concerns because the lens hood is built-in, and doesn't come off.
With a careful hand and a screwdriver, the hood certainly can be removed:

Though of course you will have to find a suitable replacement hood to shield the exposed front element. Also you run a few risks of dust and crud from getting into the mechanics of the lens from the gap between the focus barrel and where the hood once was, a clever machinist or someone with a 3D printer could probably come up with a solution to that.

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-29-2022 at 03:35 AM.
09-29-2022, 05:55 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
FA 31 vignettes a little. As Bruce Banner said, Stephen was testing all these limiteds on GFX.
Here is the link on FB
Thank you. I've asked to join that FB group so I can see the photos.
A little vignette is fine, but there are many kinds of vignette, some hard, some soft, so the quality of it is important to see.

---------- Post added 09-29-22 at 08:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
With a careful hand and a screwdriver, the hood certainly can be removed:

Though of course you will have to find a suitable replacement hood to shield the exposed front element. Also you run a few risks of dust and crud from getting into the mechanics of the lens from the gap between the focus barrel and where the hood once was, a clever machinist or someone with a 3D printer could probably come up with a solution to that.
Thanks for this, good to know.
If the hood doesn't creep into the image area, I'm happy to leave it be.
09-29-2022, 06:22 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To clarify, this question is about using the fa 31 in full medium format mode on the gfx, not in full frame crop - correct? I’m not intimately familiar with the gfx but as I recall there’s a way to use full frame glass in a crop mode or full sensor mode.
09-29-2022, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
To clarify, this question is about using the fa 31 in full medium format mode on the gfx, not in full frame crop - correct? I’m not intimately familiar with the gfx but as I recall there’s a way to use full frame glass in a crop mode or full sensor mode.
Correct. I'd like to know how it behaves on the full 4:3 sensor.
Thanks

---------- Post added 09-29-22 at 09:37 AM ----------

I just saw Stephen's photos, and the lens will work for me.
The vignette is really not that bad and it's soft, so I can work with it.
My old 50/1.4 SuperTak vignettes much more, and I love using it on GFX.
I'll use it occasionally on the regular GFX, but it'll mostly be used with the infrared-converted GFX.
Thanks for everyone's help, I really appreciate it!
09-29-2022, 06:46 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting concept. By using FF lenses on a digital 645 format you can crop a rectangle of choice of the image circle, so you can choose landscape, portrait or square or whatever you want. If you are lucky the whole sensor is covered.
09-29-2022, 07:14 AM   #13

Original Poster
In principle, yes. I personally don't crop much, but lots of GFX users shoot this way because there are so many hi-res crops available on the 44x33 sensor.
Here are some 7:6 images using the Pentax SuperTak 50/1.4 (8-element):

Vignette added here, full 4:3 sensor:
10-01-2022, 01:22 AM - 4 Likes   #14

Here are 13 shots from yesterday (just one in the post as I don't have any space left) all with the GFX 50s and the 31 ltd - I think most with f2.8 or below. - Edited to taste but vignette uncorrected: Folder with images

Follow the link to the fullres files.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GFX 50S  Photo 

Last edited by StephenObermeier; 10-01-2022 at 02:07 AM.
10-01-2022, 09:19 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks for sending these, Stephen.
The vignette is more than acceptable, and I'll be using the lens with IR mostly, so some vignette would be acceptable.
It also looks like the FA31 is a solid performer on the GFX sensor.
Much appreciated!