Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2022, 02:56 PM   #1

what lens is this

I apologize up front if this isn't the right spot for this but my fiance is the photographer not me. This lens was taken by her daughter and I'm trying to get her a replacement for her birthday without her knowing. I know absolutely nothing about cameras so if this lens isn't any good or there's a better alternative any info on that would be helpful as well. tia

Attached Images

09-30-2022, 02:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looks like a DA 18-55 kit lens to me. They're a decent little zoom and probably a great lens to learn on. Quite cheap to buy on the used market.
09-30-2022, 03:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Certainly looks like an 18-55mm and it will say so on the bottom side if it is attached to a camera, or for that matter near the zoom ring. And last but not least it is usually printed on the front of the lens. This an early example of that lens and there is also a 18-55 WR, which is a great lens to complement a WR body. Might be a bit more expensive, but it is worth the money. It is indeed a decent zoom lens and I like(d) it a lot. Hope you can find one and surprise your fiancé's daughter!

I did not dare to suggest the 18-135, which is a very good lens for an affordable price, for the sake of not complicating things for you, but there it is, others did so I expand my answer to your question. It is also a small (relatively) lens compared to the 16-85mm. Both lenses will be a nice complement lens to the 55-300 she uses. Both lenses are weather resistant which I think is a plus if you own the K-70 or the K-3, in terms of image quality they are both a step up from the 18-55, this article might give some idea of both lenses https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-da-16-85mm-f35-56/introduction.html . Hope this helps. And I think either of these would really surprise her.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 10-01-2022 at 01:39 AM. Reason: additonal information added
09-30-2022, 03:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
This an early example of that lens and there is also a 18-55 WR, which is a great lens to complement a WR body. Might be a bit more expensive, but it is worth the money.
I think the 2 cameras she has are K70 and maybe a mark 3?? Not sure which one the daughter took along with that lens and I'm sorry I don't know what WR is. would would either of those cameras benefit from WR lens?

09-30-2022, 03:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
this is : SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL or AL II ( almost the same lenses ) AL II bit sharper
09-30-2022, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wyleekiot Quote
I think the 2 cameras she has are K70 and maybe a mark 3?? Not sure which one the daughter took along with that lens and I'm sorry I don't know what WR is. would would either of those cameras benefit from WR lens?
If it’s a k-3 or k-70 it is weather resistant (WR) and putting a WR lens on it helps reduce chances of water or dust infiltration.

Lenses are very personal. Is there a specific goal or budget? An 18-55 is inexpensive (even the WR versions) but there are nicer lenses that you might want to consider like the 18-135 (also WR) which has more range, better image quality, and a nearly silent focusing motor.

---------- Post added 09-30-22 at 06:40 PM ----------

It would be useful to know what else she has and what she shoots. Does she use Flickr? Or instagram? The lens data might be available on the images to help guide what else she has and what subjects she shoots.
09-30-2022, 03:44 PM   #7

Original Poster
I know she uses light room... professionally she shoots cars for dealerships but she has a company supplied cannon she hates. personally she shoots lots of nature/wildlife as well as doing maternity/kids/senior portrait/baby shower shoots for her friends that are too cheap to hire someone... I'm just the guy who has to lug it all around and make faces at the kids

09-30-2022, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

would this lens do all the pictured lens does and maybe more since it has a wider range of numbers?
09-30-2022, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

would this lens do all the pictured lens does and maybe more since it has a wider range of numbers?
That is a nice lens. It’s a great walk about lens.
09-30-2022, 05:27 PM - 5 Likes   #10
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am sorry but it will almost inevitably end up a disappointment for both parties just for the sake of surprise. Why not talk to her about it and end up with a lens she wants but can't justify? Winners all round.
09-30-2022, 05:41 PM   #11

Original Poster
these are the other two lenses she has... I know there is a really stubby one too but didn't see it...

---------- Post added 09-30-22 at 05:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I am sorry but it will almost inevitably end up a disappointment for both parties just for the sake of surprise. Why not talk to her about it and end up with a lens she wants but can't justify? Winners all round.
I had no idea cameras were this complex... I am afraid you might be right... best bet might be to just surprise her with a b&h gift card. if it matters her daughter took the k70 she has the k3III

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I had no idea cameras were this complex... I am afraid you might be right... best bet might be to just surprise her with a b&h gift card. if it matters her daughter took the k70 she has the k3III
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G998U  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-G998U  Photo 
09-30-2022, 05:57 PM - 2 Likes   #12
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

these are the other two lenses she has... I know there is a really stubby one too but didn't see it...

That last lens is an M series 100mm f4. macro
This means she has a prime lens with good macro capability with a spill over as a top portrait lens.
It also shows she is capable of using older manual lenses. (This one is about 1980)
This could mean she would like to dabble in the even older glass like the vintage Takumars. (as in the m42 box in the link below.)
But also she may like to have a more modern prime as in the primes in the top box here.
Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Such gifts as a lens if well chosen are timeless which is way better than just having the surprise of the moment.

EDIT Oh and that "stubby lens" probably defines it as a prime.

EDIT again. And stick that b&h card. Show interest in what she is doing by discussing it and go to the effort of sourcing it for her.
(Anyone else need relationship advice here?)

Last edited by GUB; 09-30-2022 at 06:15 PM.
09-30-2022, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm with GUB. If she's using that 100mm macro, the last lens shown in this thread (thus far) then she's probably advanced enough as a user to have an opinion on what she'd like in her next lens.

I kind of hope this doesn't turn into a "suggest a lens for purchase" thread because it seems misplaced given the situation. If she wants suggestions you could have her come here or let us know what she's looking for.
09-30-2022, 08:07 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

I think either the 18-135 or the 16-85 would be a great upgrade/replacement for the 18-55 that was taken. And I think a surprise gift of a replacement lens is a very nice idea.
There's no doubt she has opinions and preferences of her own, but a gift card is not nearly as fun or thoughtful of a gift as something you know someone will enjoy but that they aren't expecting. Either of those two lenses would be versatile and high quality enough that, even if she is going to buy something else anyhow, they will be a good compliment to her kit. They are very much general purpose workhorses, just like the one her daughter took.
09-30-2022, 10:53 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
I think either the 18-135 or the 16-85 would be a great upgrade/replacement for the 18-55 that was taken. And I think a surprise gift of a replacement lens is a very nice idea.
I agree.

I have the 18-135, and it lives on my K-3 (or, more recently, my K3-III). Either of these would be a substantial upgrade, in both quality and zoom range, over the 18-55 kit lens.