Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-06-2022, 05:46 AM   #1

vivitar series 1 - faulty mount?

Hi,

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I'm new to the forum, and photography in general actually. Which brings me to my point - I recently bought my first lens on eBay. It's a Pentax series 1 70-210mm f2.8-4.0 (I think it's the 3rd variant, the komine one). It should be a p/k-a mount. That's what it says on the side of the lens. But it won't fit in either of my camera (an old k1000 and the DSLR K10D). It will slot into both but then won't turn at all on the K1000/ not far enough to lock on the K10D.

I've tried to look up what might be going wrong but not had much luck so thought I'd see if anyone here knows what's likely to be causing the issue. Has it been converted? Is the thread damaged? Am I missing something obvious? I've attached photos to hopefully help

Any help would be gratefully appreciated so I know whether I need to return it to the seller.

Thanks!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
M2101K6G  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
M2101K6G  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
M2101K6G  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
M2101K6G  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
M2101K6G  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
M2101K6G  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
M2101K6G  Photo 
10-06-2022, 05:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The large black shield is likely running into the sdm power zoom contacts. Remove the shield and try without it. You can safely cut the shield down and put it back without harming the lens if that’s the problem.
10-06-2022, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #3

A common problem with vintage third party lenses is indeed the aforementioned shield. However from the photos you posted the shield looks to be of the proper size. If it causes a problem typically the shield will much further on either side.

As you can see from my Lester-Dine (Kino) 100mm f2.8 macro that the shield doesn't appear to be any larger. The lens fits without problems on my K10D.

I estimate that it extends 5-6mm clockwise from the edge of the locking pin slot on the mount.

The shield can often be removed without major disassembly so you try removing it non-destructively as UncleVanya has suggested.

Last edited by Not a Number; 10-06-2022 at 08:24 AM.
10-06-2022, 08:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The large black shield is likely running into the sdm power zoom contacts. Remove the shield and try without it. You can safely cut the shield down and put it back without harming the lens if that’s the problem.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
A common problem with vintage third party lenses is indeed the aforementioned shield. However from the photos you posted the shield looks to be of the proper size. If it causes a problem typically the shield will much further on either side.

As you can see from my Lester-Dine (Kino) 100mm f2.8 macro that the shield doesn't appear to be any larger. The lens fits without problems on my K10D.
I estimate that it extends 5-6mm clockwise from the edge of the locking pin slot on the mount.

The shield can often be removed without major disassembly so you try removing it non-destructively as UncleVanya has suggested.

While this is usually the issue with vintage 3rd party lenses, I don't think that's the case here.

The pictures look like it has the short protection shield, furthermore would this not be a problem for the old K1000, as this is a MF camera only.

I think I can make out some dents in the images; maybe the lens was dropped on the lens mount and only unsuccessfully bent back.
If it was cheap you can try to bend it some more into shape, otherwise I would return it.

10-06-2022, 09:58 AM   #5

Yes, the shield looks like size should not matter. And you are correct, it should matter on the K1000 as there are no contacts in the mirror box.

It's possible the lens had been worked on. Does the aperture lever move smoothly? In photo 6 down and the last photo it looks like the screws on the barrel may have been removed (paint/coating missing). Lenses from this vintage usually had a small dab of clear or black thread lock over the screw heads and around the opening.
10-06-2022, 12:24 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hi, thanks for the replies. Very helpful.

As mentioned, I don't think it is the shield. It looks the same as my other k-mount lenses to me, which fit fine. I don't have a screwdriver small enough to test that though (can go and get one tomorrow if this is still worth trying).

"I think I can make out some dents in the images; maybe the lens was dropped on the lens mount and only unsuccessfully bent back."

Yes, one of the metal bayonet parts has a dents. I did wonder if this was the issue but it is only minor dents.

"It's possible the lens had been worked on. Does the aperture lever move smoothly? In photo 6 down and the last photo it looks like the screws on the barrel may have been removed (paint/coating missing)"

The aperture lever seems to move fine. Definitely could have had work done though. Could it be a different mount altogether? Are there any that are similar enough to slot in but not turn? Any pictures I can add that would help identify the issue?
10-06-2022, 03:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have that lens. No problem fitting it. Aperture is sticky as hell though. I had treated it but sitting on the shelf for a few months and it has gotten worse than it ever was. Mine is a year newer (86) in is also rated for Ricoh

Last edited by D1N0; 10-06-2022 at 03:26 PM.
10-06-2022, 04:18 PM   #8

Well if the mount is dented that's probably where the problem lies. Keep it or sell it for parts if you can't get your money back.
10-06-2022, 08:19 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tp86 Quote
Hi, thanks for the replies. Very helpful.

As mentioned, I don't think it is the shield. It looks the same as my other k-mount lenses to me, which fit fine. I don't have a screwdriver small enough to test that though (can go and get one tomorrow if this is still worth trying).

"I think I can make out some dents in the images; maybe the lens was dropped on the lens mount and only unsuccessfully bent back."

Yes, one of the metal bayonet parts has a dents. I did wonder if this was the issue but it is only minor dents.

"It's possible the lens had been worked on. Does the aperture lever move smoothly? In photo 6 down and the last photo it looks like the screws on the barrel may have been removed (paint/coating missing)"

The aperture lever seems to move fine. Definitely could have had work done though. Could it be a different mount altogether? Are there any that are similar enough to slot in but not turn? Any pictures I can add that would help identify the issue?
Nikon F mount is very similar and will not turn in the Pentax K Mount more than a small amount. But the mount you showed appears to be k mount. The aperture simulator slot is clearly showing and that’s not part of the Nikon F mount.
The k1000 detail escaped me - I agree that if that camera won’t mount the lens the shield isn’t the issue.
10-07-2022, 02:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The OP said it won't fit on his K1000. There is no way that an undamaged K-mount Vivitar Series 1 would not fit on a K1000.
10-07-2022, 02:54 AM   #11

Original Poster
Hmm ok, sounds as though it must be damaged then. What a shame! I'll try to return it to the seller.

Thank you all for helping me out. Very much appreciated!
10-07-2022, 03:03 AM   #12

Original Poster
Although just to confirm the theory before I send it back I've taken a few close up pictures of the damaged area. Would this be enough to stop it turning?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
M2101K6G  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
M2101K6G  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
M2101K6G  Photo 
10-07-2022, 07:05 AM   #13
Pentaxian

It is a tight fit. So Likely that's it. Maybe you can file it straight. You need a pretty thin file though.
10-07-2022, 07:28 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own version 4 with 58mm filter thread. It‘s also P/K mount and had a Ricoh pin that I removed before using the lens with my K-5. No problems with the mount.

If you don‘t remove the Ricoh pin, the lens can stuck on the mount and is very hard to remove. So maybe this lens stuck, was removed with some hard pressure and the lens got a little bit damaged - so that it doesn‘t fit the mount properly anymore. Since I don‘t see the Ricoh pin in the images I think it was removed later.

All just speculation …
10-07-2022, 08:04 AM   #15

It looks as if either the lens was dropped and fell mount end on some hard surface like concrete or was jammed and pried loose.

The damage on the inner mount by the screen closest the red alignment dot suggests the lens had be pried. If it jammed once needing to be pried loose would you trust mounting it again? (See photos 1 & 3 of the closeup set).

If dropped, that amount of external damage there are probably issues internally as well. Problems such as elements out of alignment, cracked or bent sliders for the zoom. Who knows.

Either way it seems the lens took some significant damage.

While the Series 1 lenses tend to attract a "cult" status they aren't that rare. I'd look for a better copy.

Edit: Further thoughts - someone may have take a pair of pliers to the bayonet tab to try to bent it into shape. This could explain some of the collateral damage. So the question would be what caused the tab to be bent in the first place. Again, it would seem the lens has taken significant damage as well as some heavy handed repair attempts.

Last edited by Not a Number; 10-07-2022 at 09:29 AM.