Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-10-2022, 07:26 AM   #1

Weird diaphragm issue on Tamron 90mm Macro

Hey! I bought this Tamron macro for film scanning and I'm seeing a weird issue with the aperture ring. Whenever I rotate one stop at the time.

The diaphragm only closes on some stops. I've included a video example.

This happens on camera and outside of the camera as well. I'm using a minolta adaptall mount.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

https://v.redd.it/djb2v7cuxus91

Last edited by Not a Number; 10-10-2022 at 08:34 AM.
10-10-2022, 08:36 AM   #2

Most likely oil on the blades. The lens could probably benefit from Cleaning Lubrication and Adjustment (CLA).
10-10-2022, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK you have the later 52BB adaptall 90mm. Sticky iris is a known issue with this lens. I have tried fixing this myself with partial success. Check out:

Adaptall diaphragm

It's not really clear to me what the problem is exactly. I don't notice oil or anything obvious on the iris blades. When done manually with a finger the mechanics seem ok. Tweaking the spring position seems to help. I have the impression that the mechanism is finely balanced and with age, a little bit of dirt/dust or something, this starts to happen.
10-10-2022, 01:42 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
OK you have the later 52BB adaptall 90mm. Sticky iris is a known issue with this lens. I have tried fixing this myself with partial success. Check out:

Adaptall diaphragm

It's not really clear to me what the problem is exactly. I don't notice oil or anything obvious on the iris blades. When done manually with a finger the mechanics seem ok. Tweaking the spring position seems to help. I have the impression that the mechanism is finely balanced and with age, a little bit of dirt/dust or something, this starts to happen.
Is this something that a professional would know how to fix?

10-10-2022, 02:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Frankly, I don't know. Most camera repair shops don't work/are no longer familiar with old MF lenses. You might find a techie who is "old school" or willing to have a go. it's not difficult to go as far as I did. I suggest diy.
10-12-2022, 12:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

It's just possible the Minolta mount is faulty and/or not fitted correctly.
I'd suggest removing the mount and operating the lens without a mount just to check the fault is still apparent.
With the mount removed, set the lens to it's smallest aperture and push the little wheel/roller to check the aperture mechanism.
Good luck
10-15-2022, 11:30 AM   #7

Original Poster

Adaptall diaphragm

So I tried this and had to release the tension on the spring by as much as I could by shortening the travel path. Now when I push the ring to f32 it snaps to the pin hole and I can adjust the aperture in reverse starting from f8 all the way to f2.5 . Can't complain, is better than what I had before, but now the aperture ring is continuous, it doesn't snap. Did this happen to yours as well?

10-15-2022, 12:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if you mean the aperture ring doesn't click, that is due to the ball bearing not the spring. Did you replace the ball bearing correctly (see pic #4 in my post in the linked thread on mflenses)?
10-16-2022, 05:56 AM   #9

Original Poster
if you mean the aperture ring doesn't click, that is due to the ball bearing not the spring. Did you replace the ball bearing correctly (see pic #4 in my post in the linked thread on mflenses)?
Ah that makes sense, I tried to understand based on the pics but couldn't figure it out, I had to follow the article you posted. The ball bearing fell from the lens and I think it's lost forever.
Still, with it's limitations it's a great lens, and you were super helpful. Thanks!