Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2022, 11:35 PM   #1

Help with a decision to buy a used lens

I have found for sale online a Pentax SMC Da 70mm F2.4 Limited for a very good price.
The problem is that it was dropped (see damage in pictures)

My question is how fragile are this lenses and how big is the risk to buy an unusable lens? (the seller says its working fine)

P.S: this is going to be my first lens except kit lens

Thank you,
Best regards

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XQ-BT52  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
XQ-BT52  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
XQ-BT52  Photo 
10-11-2022, 12:36 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

If you look carefully at the barrel of the lens you will notice that the inner moving part is out of line, on the left the inner part seems higher than on the right it sits lower and you'll see that it is closer to the outer barrel. But maybe it is a result of how the picture was made, but in my opinion that is unlikely. I would not buy it, there is a reason that the seller want to get rid of it. I do not know what price the seller is asking, but to be honest I would not spend my earned money on that lens.
10-11-2022, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

It may depend on your definition of "a very good price"!
I suspect not many will have dropped their DA 70mm, so there will be little feedback in that regard.
"Working fine" may not consider any potential de-centering or other mis-alignment which may only become apparent at certain aperture settings or subject distances.
I think I'd only consider it if it came with a full guarantee (that included cost of return postage if necessary) so I could give it an exhaustive test.
Good luck
10-11-2022, 12:56 AM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
If you look carefully at the barrel of the lens you will notice that the inner moving part is out of line, on the left the inner part seems higher than on the right it sits lower and you'll see that it is closer to the outer barrel. But maybe it is a result of how the picture was made, but in my opinion that is unlikely. I would not buy it, there is a reason that the seller want to get rid of it. I do not know what price the seller is asking, but to be honest I would not spend my earned money on that lens.
Thank you, it was helpful. I did not notice at first but now it´s obvious.

10-11-2022, 01:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
It may depend on your definition of "a very good price"!
I suspect not many will have dropped their DA 70mm, so there will be little feedback in that regard.
"Working fine" may not consider any potential de-centering or other mis-alignment which may only become apparent at certain aperture settings or subject distances.
I think I'd only consider it if it came with a full guarantee (that included cost of return postage if necessary) so I could give it an exhaustive test.
Good luck
Thank you, I will not take that risk even it was 1/4 of the full price.
10-11-2022, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If your looking for a used lens try looking at B&H photo, Adorama, or used photo pro. All are reputable sellers and offer a 180 day warranty on most lenses. The lenses are rated as to the condition and priced accordingly.
10-11-2022, 05:07 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

The drop has distorted it. The only use for a thing like that is as a source of spare parts for another lens damaged in a different way.

10-11-2022, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

If you are interested in that lens, and want to buy used, look for a slightly higher price for a lens in good shape. Ebay and the marketplace here will surely help you out, as will KH if you're in the US.
10-11-2022, 08:03 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Put key words in the Marketplace here. 70mm 40mm 21mm
The PF Marketplace is the most reputable place to buy.
I have the 21 and 40. I use the 21 roughly 90X more than the 40. I don't think I'd use the 70, but I'm still tempted to buy one.

The 21 is a perfect FL to use indoors, it's super-sharp and a pleasure to use. the 40 is probably useful outdoors and as a portrait lens.
10-11-2022, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought this lens new- the HD version, a few years ago at a very good price deal from a reputable dealer, and it is very much worth it. Excellent imaging quality across the frame, even at wide open aperture. As an alternative to the very good suggestion above by TER-OR, in my own case, I eventually acquired 2 other DA Limited lenses that work exceptionally well with this one- the DA 15mm HD, and the DA 20-40mm HD. As a trio with my KP they are a compact carrying dream. And the 20-40mm features quiet AF and WR construction in case of drippy weather conditions.

To make the outcome easier to budget, I got these one at a time over a period of a few years.
10-11-2022, 10:59 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can also post a request on the 'Wanted Items' list here: Wanted Items - PentaxForums.com
Any PF members on the fence about whether or not they want to sell their lens may be moved to respond to you.

I have bought several things from PF members and have always had an excellent experience.

Welcome to the forum; nice to have you with us!
10-11-2022, 12:52 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

My tripod fell over a few years ago, the dent looks like similar to yours. It cost us $200 to repair it. I'd try and negotiate a deal with the buyer for $200 less than the going rate for the lens. Based on my experience, I'd say damage like that takes pretty good knock.I wouldn't hazard that it's not damaged. If I remember, mine needed a barrel replacement because the barrel was deformed. Maybe offer to send the guy the $200 if it checks out OK. We've used that lens for at least 10 years now with no further issues. But, with damage like that, I wouldn't be taking the guys word for it. Sometimes what one person thinks is OK is not what another person thinks is OK.
10-11-2022, 02:41 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"(S)eller says its working fine" - nice try. But it is so obvious they're trying to make their problem (i.e. being daft enough to drop their lens) your problem. The good news is probably supposed to be that the aperture and AF still do something when engaged. The bad news with a barrel misaligned like that is that there is no way that thing is going to deliver the even and impressive sharpness a good copy of the DA70 is capable of. Unless I had a friend who was really into fixing lenses, I wouldn't touch that specimen with a bargepole.

Send it back and get a refund, if you can, and wait for a better copy to be offered. It's not an uncommon Pentax lens, and there should be absolutely worthwhile and reasonably affordable copies out there. You may just have to be a little patient.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 10-11-2022 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Nuance.
10-11-2022, 09:28 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A bad copy of a good lens is not something you want, and isn't a bargain, even if it's very cheap.
Buying used lenses is very rewarding, but you have to be very vigilant about making sure you're not buying junk. My rule is if there are any red flags at all, I just move on.
Save your money and keep looking for something better.
10-12-2022, 02:10 AM - 2 Likes   #15

Original Poster
Thank you all for your help, I have learn a lot and I´m happy to be here
Have a great day!