Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2008, 12:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I'm sure your going to enjoy that purchase, I just need you to explain to me how to get wife consent, it doesn't work to well for me.
"Wife consent"--what is that? Unless it means using discretion, ordering what I want, trying to hide it from her, and if I get caught, deflect, change the subject or explain it away.

12-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrey r Quote
"Wife consent"--what is that? Unless it means using discretion, ordering what I want, trying to hide it from her, and if I get caught, deflect, change the subject or explain it away.
I dunno but heliphoto seems to have it.
12-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
And after hand holding the BIGMA, (not always successfully of course and not for too long), I consider my Tamron 70-200/2.8 to be light. I'm looking at the 50-135 as a portrait lens and something I can take out in sh*t wx. without worrying too much to supplement the 16-50 for landscape shooting this winter. Also something I can use for candids and portraits at family events without people freaking out at the 70-200mm.
Hehe... Maybe I just need to beef up more then. When I first started, I used to carry my friend's Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L lens... and that thing is metal!! The lens case strap either stabs you in the shoulder, or you can only hand hold it for a while. ... Now that I think about it, the 50-135 is a super lightweight in comparison!!

FWIW, I find the 50-135 lighter than the 16-50

However, I found that carrying 2-3 prime lenses was a lot lighter than the Pentax DA* 16-50. However, none of those prime lenses have SDM, are not weather sealed, and can reach 16mm. Once I upgrade my K100D to a weather sealed body, snowy days like this will seem like nothing. The only thing I may have to weather seal is ME!! haha

I'm not sure how big the 70-200mm is, but the 50-135 with the lens hood is LONG. (the lens hood is about half the length of the lens). 9 inches long with lens hood / 5 inches long without

I'd still recommend it as it's one heck of a lens. IQ is unbelievably good IMO. Add to that all the other pros going for it (versatility, SDM, weather sealing) and the fact that you're getting it at a lower price...you've got one heck of a deal
12-24-2008, 03:02 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
I'm not sure how big the 70-200mm is, but the 50-135 with the lens hood is LONG. (the lens hood is about half the length of the lens). 9 inches long with lens hood / 5 inches long without
Here's a side by side comparison from jsherman...