Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2022, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
However the eyes are not as good as they used to be and I'm thinking of falling back on autofocus lenses of which I have the DA 21, DA 40, FA 50 and DA 70. The FD 50 has the advantage of an F1.7 diaphragm for bokeh and bad light but it can sometimes be rather long.

I was wondering if anybody else has thought about the one lens camera philosophy and if so which lens of the above would they find the most useful, I have no specific targets in mind and I tend to favour the DA 40 which I find to be very sharp, I'm using the K70.

Any thoughts ?
Before each trip/day i decide which lens i'd tke on the camera. So it depends on what might be expected (situations, light, distances, motives).

On APS-C sensor sized cameras, i'd use everything between 31-300mm as walkaround prime. But mostly 50mm f1.8 and 100mm f2.8.

Depending on personal preferences, some people tend to use shorter/longer focal lengths.

10-16-2022, 03:55 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was wondering if anybody else has thought about the one lens camera philosophy and if so which lens of the above would they find the most useful, I have no specific targets in mind and I tend to favour the DA 40 which I find to be very sharp, I'm using the K70.

Any thoughts ?
There is a bunch of people practicing this in this forum month-over-month in the Single-In-Challenges . They have been going for ages, the latest incarnation is, of course, Single in October 2022 - PentaxForums.com.

Out of my SiCs, the FA 31mm or F 28mm have been the easiest in terms of speed and field of view on APS-C. The FA 35mm should be equally fine, even the inexpensive DA 35mm will do nicely but the month with an Irix 150mm was enlightening too.

So my thought: Just join a SiC with what you already have, e.g. the DA21 or DA40, two perfect lenses for that, and give it a try for one month, my 40mm SiC was definitely among my brighter months. Support and recognition in the group are a great daily nudge.

Last edited by JensE; 10-16-2022 at 04:01 PM.
10-17-2022, 12:17 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sell what you have and get 20-40 Ltd? You will have 4 lenses in one (20, 30, 35, 40) + what is between those 4. I've spent two weeks vacations lately only with this lens and never missed my primes (despite me being a prime fan).
10-17-2022, 03:17 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm afraid the marketplace has its drawbacks for those living in the EU since Brexit occurred, before that you could buy any camera or lens from wherever you liked worldwide, now they have increased the numbers of customs guys by the new time and anything from outside the EU attracts every kind of tax and duty they can think of so its no longer viable to buy outside the EU, duh!

Another problem arrises with couriers most are licensed to collect duties on new goods but not on goods being returned from repair which are duty free, their computers don't know this and your goods can sit in their warehouse while they demand payment on something which is duty free while you have a battle with their customer services trying to get your goods released before they return them to sender, you can guess how I found that out.

Some UK/US companies like MPB which trades in second hand photo equipment have noticed this and opened offices within the EU.

10-17-2022, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

by the new time and anything from outside the EU attracts every kind of tax and duty they can think of so its no longer viable to buy outside the EU, duh!
There may be a difference perceived by you in Ireland, but its always been that way with our customs office in Germany. The only real change for us is that it is no longer as viable to buy from the UK as it used to be, or have something serviced there.
10-17-2022, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #21
Unregistered User

I'm afraid the marketplace has its drawbacks for those living in the EU since Brexit occurred, before that you could buy any camera or lens from wherever you liked worldwide, now they have increased the numbers of customs guys by the new time and anything from outside the EU attracts every kind of tax and duty they can think of so its no longer viable to buy outside the EU, duh!

Another problem arrises with couriers most are licensed to collect duties on new goods but not on goods being returned from repair which are duty free, their computers don't know this and your goods can sit in their warehouse while they demand payment on something which is duty free while you have a battle with their customer services trying to get your goods released before they return them to sender, you can guess how I found that out.

Some UK/US companies like MPB which trades in second hand photo equipment have noticed this and opened offices within the EU.
Brexit has made no difference to the fact that if you reside in the EU and import anything from outside the EU tax has to be paid. It is exactly the same as it has always been except that the UK is also now outside the EU. I believe MPB has been in Berlin (and Brooklyn) since 2017.
10-17-2022, 07:25 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Back to the topic at hand, one of the most important benefits to exclusively using a single lens and camera combo, especially with a prime lens, is in gaining familiarity, proficiency, and even confidence in that combo in all sorts of scenes and situations.

As mentioned above, the SIC provides both impetus to try out a single lens for one month, as well as feedback and advice.

Last edited by robgski; 10-17-2022 at 07:36 AM.
10-17-2022, 11:28 AM - 3 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like to do this even with lenses that wouldn't be anyone's first choice, like a longer slow telephoto. If the lens is not too heavy and I have patience, I'll find something. The next outing usually gets better. Even terrible shots have a lesson, then can get deleted.

If I have time I follow along when others use a difficult lens in the Single-In Challenge, to borrow ideas.
10-17-2022, 12:50 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Given your statements, try the FA 31 - it gives a similar f stop to the 50/1.7, it has a similar angle of view as a 50mm FF when used on crop. And it has a great rendering.
The FA 31 would be an excellent choice on crop.

But - before I was able to save up for an FA 31, the lens I used most on APS-C for single-lens duty was the Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC.

This lens can be had reasonably cheap, because it get's judged harshly for being soft in the corners wide open. But the overall rendering is fantastic, f1.4 means it's a true low light prime. Shooting wide open the DOF is so thin that the corners will be out of focus anyway(!). It sharpens up just fine by stopping down. If you are wanting to explore this focal length, at a reasonable price, I would seriously consider this lens.
10-17-2022, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been watching lots of videos on YouTube on working with Large Format equipment where part of the philosophy seems to be to work with one lens, wander around in ideal conditions until they find a pleasing composition take a shot or two with different film material and call it a day.

Using one lens as an exercise or a tonic to improve the photographer is a good one, but also has its limitations.

Keep in mind that with Large Format, depending on the model, you can also manipulate the lens board and the film plane to swing, tilt, and rise/fall. Using one lens helps to not overly complicate considerations for the photographer. Although Venus-Optics Laowa and Lensbaby makes shift lenses for Pentax mounts, youʻre only able to shift the lens, so not nearly the options with large format.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1699934-REG/venus_optics_ve2040pk_lao..._4_zero_d.html
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1600129-REG/lensbaby_lbsp2pk_spark_2_0_with_sweet.html

You can really practice or perfect shooting with any one lens, I think with the K70, anything in the 31-43mm range would be the starting point.

Last edited by Alex645; 10-17-2022 at 01:06 PM.
10-18-2022, 07:54 AM   #26

I've been watching lots of videos on YouTube on working with Large Format equipment where part of the philosophy seems to be to work with one lens, wander around in ideal conditions until they find a pleasing composition take a shot or two with different film material and call it a day.

The idea of searching for a single composition or two and getting it wright rather than blasting off shots by the new time on everything and anything appeals to me.

However the eyes are not as good as they used to be and I'm thinking of falling back on autofocus lenses of which I have the DA 21, DA 40, FA 50 and DA 70. The FD 50 has the advantage of an F1.7 diaphragm for bokeh and bad light but it can sometimes be rather long.

Any thoughts ?
This is an interesting question.
First, a lot of the time large format cameras tend to be used with the equivalent to 40mm lens, in 35mm. The reason is that it gives a bit better DoF than equivalent to standard 50mm. Second reason is the cost of any other large format longer focal length lens. Wideangle large format lenses require huge covering diameter, so they need a lot of elements in order to correct various distortions. At the other end, the longer lenses require large glass elements and are large in size. They are also difficult to use because the DoF is very small.
For years now, I have been using 40mm lenses for all my street photography, with Canon film and Sony digital cameras. With Pentax film cameras I use 35mm f2.8 lens because I didn't like the results Pentax SMC 40mm f2.8, produce in any conditions where there is even the smallest amount of back light. That is real shame because I like the small size of that lens.
10-18-2022, 08:09 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I often go out with only one lens. What lens I use depends on my intentions and if I shoot APS-C or FF.
Sometimes it's a Zoom 24-105 f4, sometimes a 35/2 for street, a nifty 50/1.4 or 55/1.8 all purpose, 85/1.8 for portrait or 135mm/2 also for portrait Prime.
When I startet in the early 70s, I only had my Spotmatic and the SMC-Tak 55/1.8, nothing else and shot thousands of photos with this equipment, later when I was at the university I got a used Super-Tak 50/1.4 (8-element).
Years later I got my hands on a used 135/3.5 Tak as a second . Until then I was used to one lens only.

Today I still sometimes I only take my 1965 (MF) Super Tak 50/1.4 on a FF camera with me for portrait portait or street photography.
You can do (almost) everything with a nifty-fifty and zoom-by-foot.
10-18-2022, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

The 21…

The idea of searching for a single composition or two and getting it wright rather than blasting off shots by the new time on everything and anything appeals to me.

Any thoughts ?
When I take my Ltd’s travelling with me, I use that 21mm 95% of the time. Focuses down to 6 inches, zoom with your feet. It’s small light and discreet and you’ll have a wonderful time. The thing is sharp, contrasty, and wonderful. The only drawback is that it’s not weatherproof.

Cheers,
Cameron
10-18-2022, 11:11 AM   #29
Forum Member

When traveling light my KP gets a FA 35/2 fitted. A very versatile lens and very rapid AF.

Second choice would be my 77 LTD, prior to my DA 100/2.8 macro which is lacking speed in AF with fast movements.

That said - I love my DA 14/2.8 too, but for semi portrait distance the 35 is my first choice.
10-18-2022, 11:12 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
One lens, one focal length is the way I often like to shoot, even usually like to shoot. I recently did a month of daily shooting with the K-1 and the M 50mm f1.7 manual focus lens. That was pretty educational on the traits of the lens, as well as exercised my manual focusing skills and helped develop a bit of muscle memory with the lens. It also reminded me how much I like a 50mm lens, I think it feels a little better on a FF format for me, probably just because the option to get shallower depth of field opens some new creative possibilities beyond what you get with the equivalent focal length on a crop sensor.

There are a couple of ways to approach this kind of shooting: one is to get as close to an all-purpose lens as you can find, the other is to purposefully set yourself a limitation based on the lens. Right now I am mostly doing the former: I have the HD FA 35mm f2, which works really well as a general-purpose lens. 35mm is a focal length that really works well for nearly everything, from scenery to street and such, the only downfall of that lens is probably its close-up ability. I recently carried it on a camping/hiking trip in the redwoods and enjoyed it immensely.