Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #1

New to M42 mount lens

Hi all,
well, yesterday was Christmas morning for me, as I have received my lovely 50mm and 35mm primes from a fellow member... after much waiting for the long working day to finish... I rushed home and tested the lenses on my K200D...

As I never used the M42 adaptor, I wasnt sure what to expect... but when I screwed the lens on, it became tight before it the position I thought it should be aligned... (Maybe a photo would be good here :P)... or to put it another way, I am not sure if I screwed the lens in far enough...

would this affect the quality of the pic? or since it is a manual lens, would it really matter?

Also, noticed some of the lens contact on the body is also exposed... I assume this is normal, and usual precaution is needed about avoiding liquid and dust?

sorry for the noobish questions

12-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No question's worth apologising for, Joseph.

I suspect you may have a similar adapter to one of mine (cheap and poor copy of the Pentax original). See my post here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/44805-macro-ex...tube-ebay.html

There are some good new adapters available, and second-hand ones come up from time to time. The original Pentax ones are well-made, as you'd expect, and easy to use. There are some posts here, which you can find on search, but which I don't have to hand, sorry, on making adapters semi-permanent fixtures to the M42 lenses.

Rob
12-23-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
I am not sure if I screwed the lens in far enough...

would this affect the quality of the pic? or since it is a manual lens, would it really matter?
It must be screwed in until the m42's base touches the camera's flange surface or you can't focus at infinity. Other than that there's no problem.

The adapter you are using should have no broad flange interfering with the m42's base touching the camera's flange or it will prevent infinity focus.

You may want to use aluminum foil to short out the electrical contact pins on the camera's flange; that will help you get the proper exposure measurements and allow for "focus trapping" mode (set record mode to AF.S - then the shutter won't trigger until focus is achieved.)

Or you can sand some of the paint off the base of the m42's base so it will make electrical contact.

Here's the link to the thread Rob probably referred to:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/44462-screw-k-mount-adapters.html

Last edited by newarts; 12-23-2008 at 09:29 PM.
12-23-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even with the genuine Pentax adapter, the lens will not tighten to "the middle" the red mark for the aperture will be a little off to the side, it is perfectly normal. Nothing to worry about. Here is my K10 with the genuine adapter and my 55 1.8 mounted..

12-24-2008, 05:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Even with the genuine Pentax adapter, the lens will not tighten to "the middle" the red mark for the aperture will be a little off to the side, it is perfectly normal. Nothing to worry about. Here is my K10 with the genuine adapter and my 55 1.8 mounted..
Hmm, that's funny. I've also got a genuine adaptor, and mine comes a lot closer to the top than your does. Not perfect, but a lot closer than yours. Maybe I'm just tightening it too much.
12-24-2008, 06:32 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Hmm, that's funny. I've also got a genuine adaptor, and mine comes a lot closer to the top than your does. Not perfect, but a lot closer than yours. Maybe I'm just tightening it too much.
mine also comes a lot closer.
12-24-2008, 06:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote

Or you can sand some of the paint off the base of the m42's base so it will make electrical contact.
Where do you guys keep getting lenses that are fat enough to cover the contacts at all? None of my Takumars with 49mm filter threads do that.
12-24-2008, 07:56 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Where do you guys keep getting lenses that are fat enough to cover the contacts at all? None of my Takumars with 49mm filter threads do that.
Mike, Here's a 50mm Macro Takumar (49mm filter) mounted; There is sufficient contact (but it doesn't look like there is!) I was surprised that so little overlap is needed.

Dave

12-25-2008, 04:20 AM   #9

Original Poster
cool..

thanks for the quick feed backs on the fitting... I have tested a few shots of the 50 and 35mm today; and seems to worked well..
12-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
I just "snug" my Taks up, I don't try to crank them as tight as I can. I did notice on my one S-M-C Tak, the 200mm F4, that it gets a lot closer to being "centered" than my Super Taks do..
12-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
I just "snug" my Taks up, I don't try to crank them as tight as I can. I did notice on my one S-M-C Tak, the 200mm F4, that it gets a lot closer to being "centered" than my Super Taks do..
I wonder if its because of a difference in the threads on the adapters old vs. new or if its a difference in the threads between the different takumar series? or maybe both?
12-25-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I wonder if its because of a difference in the threads on the adapters old vs. new or if its a difference in the threads between the different takumar series? or maybe both?
I have no idea, lol, whatever it is, I sure like how the images look with the Takumars
12-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Why would one put a filter in between the lens and body? just curious =) Will it act as both a protector and an extension tube?
12-25-2008, 01:51 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Why would one put a filter in between the lens and body? just curious =) Will it act as both a protector and an extension tube?
where did you see that?
12-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Newarts poted an image of his 50mm macro that *looks* like it has a filter at the base of the lens and said that it has a 49mm filter. Maybe I have misinterpreted his sentence, though.